Official Josh Norman is a Free Agent – Miami Rumors Super Thread | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official Josh Norman is a Free Agent – Miami Rumors Super Thread

Looking at our forward cap commitments, I just don't see how Josh Norman is in our ballpark. After we sign rookies and leave money for injury signings and typical roster churn, we simply don't have the 16M+ it would take. As a player ... kid is awesome. But it would require major, major cuts/restructures to max out our cap over the next few years to realistically sign him.

IMHO, our better scenario would be for the Bucs to sign him ... maybe he will have a similar career to Darelle Revis when he was there ... kidding. But Norman signing with the Bucs, Raiders, or any other CB needing team likely helps us get who we want at CB and possibly helps slide a good CB to our 2nd round pick. Judging by Carolina's past, I doubt they go CB in round 1 regardless.

Joseph can coach up quality DB's ... I'm pretty sure Gase's plan is to give Joseph a DB or two to coach up this year, then work on the OL and possibly add another TE to the stable. This draft will be about our coaches, and IMHO, that's the way it should be this year. Breaking the team apart to shoehorn a CB probably isn't on the cards after the Maxwell trade. Had it happened before we traded for Maxwell ... we might have pulled the trigger.

Looking at our forward cap commitments, I just don't see how Josh Norman is in our ballpark. After we sign rookies and leave money for injury signings and typical roster churn, we simply don't have the 16M+ it would take. As a player ... kid is awesome. But it would require major, major cuts/restructures to max out our cap over the next few years to realistically sign him.

IMHO, our better scenario would be for the Bucs to sign him ... maybe he will have a similar career to Darelle Revis when he was there ... kidding. But Norman signing with the Bucs, Raiders, or any other CB needing team likely helps us get who we want at CB and possibly helps slide a good CB to our 2nd round pick. Judging by Carolina's past, I doubt they go CB in round 1 regardless.

Joseph can coach up quality DB's ... I'm pretty sure Gase's plan is to give Joseph a DB or two to coach up this year, then work on the OL and possibly add another TE to the stable. This draft will be about our coaches, and IMHO, that's the way it should be this year. Breaking the team apart to shoehorn a CB probably isn't on the cards after the Maxwell trade. Had it happened before we traded for Maxwell ... we might have pulled the trigger.

We can always cut Dion Jordan and re-visit re-structuring Wake's contract. A move like this could probably be used to convince Wake to re-structure.

We'll have over 40 maybe 50 million next year available to use. Contracts as you've noticed can be weirdly structured and restructured to fit a number that's easily manipulated.

It can be done.

Offer Denver a 6th for Aqib Talib who's contract becomes friendly next year, and pick, Jackson, Apple, or VH3 if he drops.... Done..we got the filler for this year and the starter for years (hopefully). And still have mucho mula to add quality needed players.........

We'll have over 40 maybe 50 million next year available to use. Contracts as you've noticed can be weirdly structured and restructured to fit a number that's easily manipulated.

It can be done.

Very interesting wonder what the FA class looks like for next year and who might realistically become available.

don't throw billy turner in there with that list...he's by far more talented than any of those guys were

he's a potential boom player this year

Perhaps ... but thus far his performance has been solidly a bust. He is still very raw ... and while I like the tools and attitude ... raw is unacceptable. He needs to turn it on this year or become a backup and push through next offseason ... or he simply may not be re-signed.

I am indifferent to bringing him in.

But make no mistake, the cap is not the issue. Can easily be structured in there. Not to mention 15 million tied up just between Dion Jordan and Cam Wake.

I would feel better about this if I knew we were certain to draft great this year and next year.

You can compete this year if you do it (and of course stay healthy at key positions). . . And that intrigues me.

One year wonder, Carolina runs a majority Zone scheme, going to be 29 this year and would kill our cap carrying Norman, Suh, and Tannehill's contracts

Norman had one good season. I don't get the hype. If we (or whoever does) sign him, there will be big time regret.

I am indifferent to bringing him in.

But make no mistake, the cap is not the issue. Can easily be structured in there. Not to mention 15 million tied up just between Dion Jordan and Cam Wake.

I would feel better about this if I knew we were certain to draft great this year and next year.

You can compete this year if you do it (and of course stay healthy at key positions). . . And that intrigues me.

Norman is a player worth signing.

He frees up a need and makes it a strength with Maxwell moving over to his #2 role were he shined in Seattle.

That's not a fair comparison. I can just as easily say who is going to cost more if they bust? The comp pick busts and the cost is negligible. Norman busts and Miami is out north of $20mm. Not saying the chance of bust is the same but the cost isn't either.
I have two problems with Norman. The first is, obviously, money. The second is he won't have that front 7 to lower his exposure time. I don't think he'll 'bust' but I don't think he'll play up to $16mm either. Read somewhere Car offered $11-12mm. If he can be signed for that, I'll not complain. $16mm? Nope. CB at #13.
Truth was talking about the uncertainty around Norman being able to play at an All-Pro level in Miami. I'm saying a late 3rd round pick is much more unreliable

Back
Top Bottom