**Official NCAA College Basketball Thread**

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by LouPhinFan, Nov 1, 2006.

1. LouPhinFan

LouPhinFan It's ok to say "I don't know". Finheaven VIP Donator

Ok here it is. I'm not a fan of the NBA. Its barely basketball. They dribble a basketball and shoot it into a hoop, that as close as they get. The real game is in college. I played high school ball and know alot about the sport, much more than I know about football.

I am of course a Louisville fan. I was at their exhibition game tonight and saw a ton of potential. They are a sleeper team in the Big East. Mark my words, Derrick Caracter will be freshman of the year in the Big East. I'm a Duke fan too. They should be fun to watch.

Go ahead, discuss all things NCAA basketball. I know there's some Gator fans on here that want to put in their 2 cents worth!!:D

2. Buddwalk

Buddwalk The Jukebox Hero

doubt caracter will be freshmen of the year with uconn getting Hasheem Thabeet 7''3 270 lbs. of center monster :yes:

3. MikeO

MikeO Premium Member Donator

Freshmen of the year in the Big East

Paul Harris G Syracuse

Reports thus far is he is every bit as good as Carmelo Anthony when he first came to Syracuse.

4. HysterikiLL

HysterikiLL A True Fan

I only watch the NBA to see my favorite former college ballers.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

6. MikeO

yeah the exhibition games are starting. I don't put too much into the scores because these coaches play everybody, and they try out new defenses and run a million offensive sets to see what works and doesn't.

So some of these scores look like they were competitive games almost when in reality they weren't.

7. Motion

Motion A True Fan

Go Gators!

[​IMG]

8. Buddwalk

Hasheem Thabeet - 2007 Big East Freshmen of the Year

[​IMG]

9. MikeO

Those oversea guys are always a work in progress. He is good he will be great. But for freshmen of the year........maybe.

I don't think so right now though. Time will tell

10. Buddwalk

guy looks like a monster on defense...think if marcus williams, rudy gay, and josh boone would of all returned...i'd say uconn then would be the favorite for the national title...anyway uconn will be in march madness this year but will be lucky to even reach the sweet 16

11. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

UConn got 3 years out of those guys, it's hard to complain. Nobody can play the what if game more than Carolina as the heels have lost more talent early to the NBA than anybody. There's no guarantees but i'm pretty confident if players stayed 4 years the heels would have 4-5 more Championships in the last 30 years or so.

12. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

My favorite sport use to be the NBA, but it has really gone downhill since the late 1980's. I still love my Sixers but not like I use to. I think college ball is much more enjoyable. You have the great rivalries like Duke-UNC which make the game fun to watch. The kids play hard because they love the game, not because they are getting paid. There are too many whiney crybaby thugs in the NBA. I look for the Florida Gators to have a big year, but my pick to win it all is Ohio State....they are loaded!!!! They could win it all in football and basketball this year.

13. LouPhinFan

I've heard about him, but all I can go on is by what I saw last night.

Imagine a 6'8" 275 lbs forward with the agility of a 6'3" guard. Soft touch with his baby hook and of course being 275 hes got a power game. I didn't see him try any jump shots, so I don't know how reliable his 15 foot jumpshot is, but he oozes talent.

14. CrimsonFin

CrimsonFin Member

here's my 2 cents, Bama beat half the final four, and almost beat UCLA. And they're just going to get better. Look for another deep Bama run this year. Florida, and LSU better watch their backs because the Tide going to roll all over them.

15. 305TillIDie

305TillIDie Dade County Goonz

Frank Haith and the Canes should have a tough year..they are a very young team with Hite and Diaz gone to the NBA...PG Harris and Clemente should have big years in scoring for Miami, along with Asbury and King..I just hope for the U to have a fun year and compete at their best with the ACC :yes:

16. DolphinDevil28

DolphinDevil28 I like boobs. Finheaven VIP Donator

We'll see.

I'd like to know one player on Bama's team who can guard Glen Davis.

17. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

There wasn't one player on any team who could match up w/ Shaq or Tim Duncan in college but zones can collapse on big men and neutralize them. Richard hendrix is a little smaller than Davis but look for him to bust out this year, I like 'Bama. They can be a real threat this year. I think the SEC is finally back after many years of mediocre basketball.

18. djfresh47

djfresh47 R.I.P. djfresh47

Glen Davis was great and this has nothing to do with 'Bama but the guy with the most to prove in the SEC is Randolph Morris. Morris and Crawford were I believe 5 star recruits and if Tubby Smith is going to keep his job they've gotta come through big time. UK under Smith has been a great regular season team and a huge dissapointment during the tournament. He won a championship with Pitino's guys but has been a dissapointment during the tournament since. I think Smith can coach but if he fails than it'll make for quite an interesting coaching search by UK. At the top of the list I think would have to be Donovan.

19. Buddwalk

next friday...cant wait :yes:

20. King Felix

King Felix live it up have no worries

well my 2 favorite teams are beavers and tar heels..........i must say i am very excited for both teams.......beavers have alot more talent this year:yes:

21. LouPhinFan

I don't know why anyone would want that job. Its like being the coach of the Yankees or Notre Dame. You better win or there's going to be an angry mob of fans waiting out side your house to hang you and your family. I'm surprised the residents of Lexington haven't burned Tubby's home to the ground yet. They didn't like him when they hired him and they still don't like him now. Its too bad, because he's a good coach.

22. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

Your Beavers won't beat my Sun Devils. :wink:

23. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

They have had top 5-10 talent just about every yea and haven't made a FF in nearly a decade. they have valid reasons to be on Tubby and this was after a stretch from '93-'98 where UK made 4 FFs, 3 title games and won 2 titles.

24. Ferretsquig

Ferretsquig Perennial All-Pro

Donovan on Noah:

Just some impressive honesty. It was a big time risk the kid took in coming back to school. Him and a lot of other players on that squad could really fall in draft ratings if their team isn't as good as is being projected. And there is a real chance that it isn't that good.

I have a feeling one of these "consensous" top three teams is going to take a real tumble. Carolina is so young, Kansas is a mess with injuries and suspension/retraction, and for all its success, Florida wasn't all that great of a team for most of last year.

25. djfresh47

djfresh47 R.I.P. djfresh47

Tubby has won but it's been in the regular season. UK should be getting some of the top recruits but it really hasn't happened. Rondo/Crawford/Morris were 5-star recruits but it seems that Tubby has not gotten the big names. The last guy I can think of who they had who could take over a game is Ron Mercer. Bogans/Prince/Hayes were all nice but didn't really do that. What happened with Notre Dame under Davie and Willingham has seemingly happened to UK.

26. FinsNYanksFan13

FinsNYanksFan13 Banned on Points

Duke fan in the house. I expect this team to be playing it's best ball at the end of the year when the Freshman have more experience and Paulus is back healthy. With that said though I still fully expect Duke to be battling for 2nd in the ACC because it looks like Carilona is head and shoulders above the rest and should run away with the ACC even though it's a tough conference. I just don't think anyone can match Carilona pound for pound and with Duke once again only running 6 or 7 deep again, I expect their lack of depth to be their downfall again!

27. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

The lack of depth is all K's fault, he has qualit players on the bench(or at least very highly recruited players) but he never plays mroe than 7 guys. His biggest mistake last year was not developing that bench, it's worth giving up a game or 2 in Dec or jan to have a fresher and deeper team come March. this is a big reason duke has been struggling in the Tourney for so many years.

28. GreenMonster

GreenMonster Never con a con man

Like nyjunc said those guys stayed a while.. I was more mad about losing out on Bynum, we could have had a lineup of Williams, Anderson, Gay, Boone, and Bynum last year.. No way we lose the title with Bynum on the team he is a BEAST..

29. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

And Carolina could have had a team of Felton, McCants, Williams, May AND dwight Howard, JR Smith and JamesOn Curry. That beats any lineup any other team could have put out there.

30. Ferretsquig

Howard singed a letter of intent to go to Duke. And Curry would never have suited up in Carolina blue.

The ACC goes at least 9 deep this year so I wouldn't be shocked if Duke was 3rd or 4th. BC and FSU have some quality and more importantly experienced players. And Tech has a scary lineup if the frosh come through. I'd be pessimistic if I were a Duke fan. There is a lot that will be heaped on the shoulders of McRoberts offensively and the team has no defensive presence inside. Williams was the heart and soul of that team and was the only reason that pressure defense worked.

But then again coach K seems to do his best when his team has less talent, so it certainly wouldn't be a suprise if they challenged for the ACC title again. Its going to be a great ACC season.

31. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

Howard did not sign a letter of inteent for any school and said he would ahve gone to UNC. he said he would have gone to UNC if he went to College, I saved the link to the article as I had this argument w/ someone a year or 2 ago but now they make you pay for it. If for some reason yuo want to pay fro it the link is below:

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/orlando...=&startpage=C.4&desc=School+still+in+session+

If Curry didn't get arrested he would have been a Tar Heel.

32. Ferretsquig

I guess noone told him UNC didn't have a scholarship for him then. Of course after Smith declared they did. Rivals had him going to Duke before he went pro, but who knows what would have happened.

33. KTownsDolphins

KTownsDolphins 4 Handicap, trying to get to scratch

Go Clemson Tigers,

That being said it's not looking too promising this year.

34. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

The man said he would have gone to UNC so I assume he would have gone there if he went to College. If guys weren't going pro out of HS then I'm sure their recruting strategy would have been different and they would ahve had a scholarship for him.

35. Majpain

Majpain Giants GM

Gators are lucky Ohio St doesnt have a healthy Greg Oden. Though it should be a great game.

36. MikeO

Syracuse is playing 3 games in 3 days!!

Already beat St.Francis and Penn. UTEP tonight. Should get off to a nice quick 3-0 start

37. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

As usual Boeheim playing a rough non-conf sched:sidelol:

38. MikeO

Penn made the NCAA Tourney 2 years in a row. That's a tourney team. And UTEP was a 2005 Tourney team. Besides he didn't set this up. It's the black coaches association tournament.

They also have Witcha St (sweet 16 team), Hofstra who got screwed out of the tourney last year. Throw in St.Boniventure and Holy Cross and it's a decent non-conf schedule. Look, when your going to play in the BEST conference in the country and play Villanova twice, UCONN twice, G'town, Marquette, Pittsburgh, and DePaul......they don't need a super tough non-conference schedule to have a good RPI.

39. LouPhinFan

Yeah the Big East will be brutal yet again this year. I don't think it has any national championship caliber teams in it this year, but much better overall from top to bottom than last year. People can knock the football all they want, but the basketball is the best in the country! IMHO of course!

40. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

So whoever plays monmouth is playing a tough game b/c Monmouth was a Tourney team last year? And Boeheim knows who he'll play when he commits, or at last potentially who he can play.

Wow! that is brutal, Why doen't carolina schedule those teams, that's much tougher than playing Kentukcy, Ohio State and Arizona:lol:

People assume Hofstra will be ood b/c they beat GM twice last year but they already are 0-1 losing to Charlotte. Wich State had a nice run but they did lose some guys and it won't happen again, St. Bonaventure? Holy Cross? are you serious? then again I think you crowed abaout kentucky and as a non-conf opponents for BE FB teams.

As usual Boeheim scheudls nothing but creampuffs and never leaves NY until January.

They do not play in the ACC. Oh you mean the best conference ever like last year when the BE, as usual, sent ZERO teams to the FF. As of right now both Conf's have 4 ranked teams but the ACC has 4 LESS teams than the BE so the big, bad BE should have more ranked teams, right?

Regardless of what Conf a team plays in they should schedule tough non-conf games. In most years the ACC is the best conf and Carolina always schedules tough games outside the conf. 2 years ago the ACC was by far the best and Carolina played Kentucky and at Connecticut.

That's just brutal, I've never seen a tougher scheduke:sidelol:

41. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

Are you kidding me? We were bing told by the BE how it was possibly the greatest year by a conf ever and STILL the BE could not send a single team to the FF in the weakest season of CBB I have witnessed in my 20-25 years of watching the sport. This year the BE doesn't have close to the depth it had last year and while it was the best reg season conf last year(thanks to ahving 45 teams) it will be back to playing 2nd fiddle to some other conf's.

42. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

ACC bottom feeder UVa beat #10 Arizona last night.

43. BAMAPHIN 22

BAMAPHIN 22 FinHeaven Elite

Knight's hand to player's face overshadows Tech win

As Bob Knight moved one win closer to catching Dean Smith, his temper flared once again, when he used his hand to push a player's chin during a timeout, as if to make him look the coach in the eye.

With more than 4 minutes to go in Texas Tech's 86-74 victory over Gardner-Webb on Monday night, Red Raiders forward Michael Prince was called for a foul. During the ensuing timeout, Knight approached Prince, and as the player lowered his head, the coach made contact with his chin.

Knight gave a brief statement at the postgame news conference then answered one question before exiting the room. The incident with Prince was never addressed.

It was win No. 871 for Knight, who is five away from passing Adolph Rupp for second place on the all-time list. He needs nine more victories to surpass Smith for the most wins in Division I history.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/basketball/ncaa/11/14/knight.ap/index.html

44. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

Knight was a great coach but he's always been nuts. if it was another coach maybe a big deal wouldn't be made of it but w/ his histopry a big deal has to be made of it. The people chasing down Dean's record are not worhty to be w/ Dean. Both Knight and K won alto of games against lower level competion at Army and both have done some bad things unlike the all class true record holder Dean Smith.

45. Buddwalk

hasheem thabeet debute

5 points 11 rebounds 7 blocks :yes:

46. byroan

byroan A True Fan

Sacred Heart has some ballers on their team. UNC should put them away easily in the second half. Terry needs to stay out of foul trouble.

47. FinsNYanksFan13

FinsNYanksFan13 Banned on Points

Give me a break, Dean Smith is a choker. What did he go to, 11 Final Four's and only has 2 titles to show for it LMAO. Plus he coached during a time when there wasn't half as many power houses in college b-ball as their our now. Coach K is the best and Carilona fans are going to have to learn to accept that!

By the way, Coach K only had 73 wins at Army so don't tell me that 73 wins out of 754 career wins is winning a lot against lower level competition cause it's not!

48. byroan

byroan A True Fan

:rofl: Coach K is not the best. Dean Smith still has the most wins.

49. MikeO

The best coach ever is and was Bobby Knight.

The fact he is a clown and a jerk overshadows it though. Knight has done MORE with LESS than any coach in the history of the sport.

I dont' like the guy but I will give it to him as a coach.

50. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

73 wins is almost 3 more seasons worth. Dean did it all on the highest level and coahced nearly half his career where just 1 team per conf made the NCAA Tourney and early in his career he ran into the UCLA dynasty numeorus times in FFs.

K only has 1 more title(a sham title in '01) and he's been to 10 FFs, all in an era where you diodn't have to win your conf to get in and up until after the '99 season K neevr lost a player arly. The Heels would have beena title contender in '73 had Bob McAdoo not left early, in '83 the heels made the elite 8- do you think james Worthy could ahve helped out? In '85 the Heels made the elite 8- do you think Michael Jordan could have helped out? in '90 the Heels made the Sweet 16- do you think JR reid could have helped? In '96 & '97 the Heels made the 2nd rd and the FF- do you think Stackhouse and Wallace could have made a difference in '96 & '97 and Mcinnis in '97?

Dean also did it w/ class unlike K. He didn't quit on a team b/c they sucked, he didn't exile a loyal assisstant out of MCBB, he didn't berate players the way K does, he TOLD Jordan to leave early b/c it was in MJ's best interests while K chided guys like William Avery and Dunleavy, Dean didn't use the "name a player team captain" so they come back instead of entering the draft trick like K uses so often. Oh and Dean could develop players, yeah he always got big time talent just like K but K's talent turns to busts alot while Dean developed players and rarely did his recruits become busts unlike K.

Dean was all class and did it when it was more difficult to win. Dean didn't care about the wins record but k is consumed by it which is why he schedules so many creampuffs each year. In the old days K used to schedule a very difficult non-conf sched but he wants the record so bad he doesn't do it anymore. I think that's a major reason why duke always disappoints in the Tourney now.

Knight cannot be in the discussion simply b/c his teams haven't done a thing since the early 90s. If he was still winning at IU when the Neil reed incident happened he never would have been fired. From the early 70s to the last 80s maybe I could agree but factor in the entire carer and he can't touch Dean.