Offseason MLB rumors | Page 126 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offseason MLB rumors

I could see Jones in a place like SF who will be rid of Bonds and have him off the books and has shown they have an endless suply of money and is willing to spend whatever it takes. They need to get a big bat in the OF and Jones is the perfect fit for them post-Bonds

Jermaine Dye vowed Wednesday he won't break the White Sox's bank in a bid to stay in Chicago past 2007. "I just want to be fair, whatever market value is," Dye said, adding he accepts general manager Ken Williams' decision to refrain from contract talks until after the season. "Of course, to be here I probably have to take less money. I've done it before. For me, it's not about the money. It's about winning and having fun and, hopefully, finishing my career here." ... Two possible destinations for Dye if he doesn't stay with the Sox are the Rangers (he's friendly with new manager Ron Washington) and the Angels, who have struck out in bids to land right-handed power hitters Paul Konerko, Aramis Ramirez and Manny Ramirez over the last two winters. The Angels' spring training facility in Tempe is a 15-minute drive from Dye's Scottsdale home.

http://www.benmaller.com/archives/2007/february/22#133906

Manny Ramirez has cited his mother’s medical condition as the reason why he can’t report to spring training until March 1, but it appears the Red Sox slugger never had any intention of being with the team for today’s first full-squad workout. Ramirez, a collector of classic cars, was scheduled to attend an auto auction in Atlantic City on Saturday, according to organizers. The Web site for the Atlantic City Classic Cars Auction lists one of Ramirez’ cars, a 1967 four-door Lincoln Continental Sedan convertible, in Saturday’s auction. A Sox executive said last night that Ramirez’ agent, Greg Genske, vowed to the team that his client would not be appearing at the event due to his mother’s condition.

http://www.benmaller.com/archives/2007/february/22#133906

When Japanese television analysts tried to deconstruct the mystifying slider thrown by Daisuke Matsuzaka, they called it a gyroball, partly because the pitch seemed to come from another world. Matsuzaka says he does not throw any such pitch in games — but when he signed with the Boston Red Sox this off-season for $52 million, American baseball fans were forced to confront the mystery. Is the gyroball a myth, or is it real? And if it is real, what exactly is it? Kazushi Tezuka says he has the answer, and he flew from Japan to the United States this week to reveal it. Tezuka, a Japanese trainer who is credited with creating the gyroball 12 years ago, walked to the mound at Scottsdale Stadium on Wednesday to show off his invention. Tezuka used a standard fastball grip. He went into a basic motion. Only at the end of his delivery did he deviate. He turned the inside of his throwing arm away from his body and released the ball as if it were a football, making it spiral toward home plate. The pitch started on the same course as a changeup, but it barely dipped. It looked like a slider, but it did not break. The gyroball, despite its zany name, is supposed to stay perfectly straight. “That’s it!” Tezuka said, laughing hysterically on the mound. “That’s the gyro!”

Manny Ramirez has cited his mother’s medical condition as the reason why he can’t report to spring training until March 1, but it appears the Red Sox slugger never had any intention of being with the team for today’s first full-squad workout. Ramirez, a collector of classic cars, was scheduled to attend an auto auction in Atlantic City on Saturday, according to organizers. The Web site for the Atlantic City Classic Cars Auction lists one of Ramirez’ cars, a 1967 four-door Lincoln Continental Sedan convertible, in Saturday’s auction. A Sox executive said last night that Ramirez’ agent, Greg Genske, vowed to the team that his client would not be appearing at the event due to his mother’s condition.

This is bush if it's true and he goes. Manny is a superstar so he gets special treatment I understand that but it's one thing to miss a week of ST because of a sick mother but it's another thing if its because of this car show. Anyway this isn't an issue until Saturday comes around and if he does indeed show up in AC.

This is bush if it's true and he goes. Manny is a superstar so he gets special treatment I understand that but it's one thing to miss a week of ST because of a sick mother but it's another thing if its because of this car show. Anyway this isn't an issue until Saturday comes around and if he does indeed show up in AC.

And its even worse that he uses an excuse about a "sick mother" when he just wants to go to a car show. Whether he goes or not now or shows up on time now or not is irrelevant. He already floated this notion out there and he showed his trule colors!!

This next statement I'm about to make isn't about the Red Sox or Manny, so don't go jumping down my throat. But IN GENERAL when it comes to sports these days.....I would rather watch my team lose or not win it all with decent guys on the team then have to put up with these slimeballs and maybe have a chance to win a championship!!!!!!!! Some of these players are just very very tough to root for on any level.

And its even worse that he uses an excuse about a "sick mother" when he just wants to go to a car show. Whether he goes or not now or shows up on time now or not is irrelevant. He already floated this notion out there and he showed his trule colors!!

The way i read it, is that he isn't using the excuse about a sick mother to go the car show. I think he was planning on skipping the first week to go to the carshow, but then his mother got sick, so he's skipping the first week to be with her.

The way i read it, is that he isn't using the excuse about a sick mother to go the car show. I think he was planning on skipping the first week to go to the carshow, but then his mother got sick, so he's skipping the first week to be with her.

Well I won't rip him for wanting to be with his sick mother, by all means be with your family during a time like that. But the fact he planned on skipping a week to go to a car show before anything happened to his mother.....please.

Oh i agree, you dont skip Training Camp to go to a car show, especially with everything that goes on with him. But i dont think you can say he is using it as an excuse(he might be though, and we wont find out until saturday i guess)

I'm going to take this story with a grain of salt right now and see if he actually shows up or not. If he does, I'll rip him. If he doesn't I won't think twice about it. I think this should be considered a rumor until Saturday comes and goes.

I mean after all how many times have anyone gone to a card show or event like this and people were advisted to be there and never showed up? It happens all the time and sometimes you have to wonder whether or not the promotor is simply putting the person's name on the advisting just to draw people (yes I'm aware of the legal stuff about that). Again I'm not saying that in this case that's what happened, all I saying is this should be taken as a rumor right now until Saturday comes.

This next statement I'm about to make isn't about the Red Sox or Manny, so don't go jumping down my throat. But IN GENERAL when it comes to sports these days.....I would rather watch my team lose or not win it all with decent guys on the team then have to put up with these slimeballs and maybe have a chance to win a championship!!!!!!!! Some of these players are just very very tough to root for on any level.

I can agree with that statement.

Clemens, 44, still mulling his options for 2007

KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- Roger Clemens pitched to his son and two other minor leaguers at the Houston Astros' spring training camp Thursday, and is no closer to deciding whether he'll play a 24th season.

If he comes back, the 44-year-old pitching great said he'll choose between the hometown Astros, the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox.

"Everybody knows where I stand. I don't care to play, but if that decision comes up again, then it's a big decision on me," he said. "It has nothing to do with anybody else. It's a decision on me to go out and perform."

Clemens said he's not "milking" his decision in search of the highest bidder. He also said he'll have no problem walking away when the time comes.

"It's 10 times harder to make the decision to come back and try to do it again," he said. "I love what I do and I have high expectations to perform. When I don't, it's disappointing."

Koby Clemens, a third baseman starting his second full season in the Astros' minor league organization, said his father told him last week he was "80-20" leaning toward not coming back. Then again, after the 2003 season Clemens said there was a 99 percent chance he would retire.

"It's a pretty serious number right now," said Koby, the oldest of Clemens' four sons. "I go, 'Dad, right now, on the spot, if they asked you are you coming back or not, what are your percentages now?' He said, '80-20.' I go, 'Coming back or sitting out the year?' And he goes, 'Probably sitting out the year.' That was it."

Clemens is on an easier workout schedule now and won't increase the load unless he commits to playing again.

Clemens caused a bigger stir at spring training last season, pitching with more purpose to minor leaguers in preparation for the World Baseball Classic.

"I feel very good, I feel strong," he said. "But the intensity is nowhere near close to this point last year when I was getting ready for the world event. I had a lot riding on my shoulders."

Clemens said he'll work himself into shape if one of the teams comes to his agents, Alan and Randy Hendricks, with an offer he can't refuse.

He's also realistic about his age, and that his body may not respond like it once did.

"At one point, it's not going to work out," he said. "These are the questions I have to ask myself, that's why I push myself so hard to find out before I get to that moment.

"I don't know what's going to happen two months from now," Clemens said.

"I could get into the middle of a training session and know that I just can't do it. That would be the easiest call for me to make."

On Thursday, he wore a black Astros cap, black Astros T-shirt and white pants. He hit grounders to Koby and shagged balls in the outfield.

Clemens says he is content to hang around the spring training complex and advise younger players. He'll also host some charity events while in Florida.
"What you saw me do today is what I plan on doing for the next month," he said. "Right now, it's going to be a slow, dead period. I'm doing what I love to do. I'm going to be running around here, throwing batting practice. I'll throw BP to the big guys if they need it. There won't be a lot of moss growing under my feet."

Clemens, who signed a $22 million contract with the Astros to pitch half of last season, didn't start in a major league game until June 22. He finished 7-6 with a 2.30 ERA in 19 starts.

If he returns, Clemens said he won't pitch until at least May. He said how the three teams are doing at that time won't affect his decision.

But Clemens said he'll only come back if he feels like he can help one of the teams contend.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2007/news/story?id=2775207

Back
Top Bottom