Offseason MLB rumors | Page 51 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offseason MLB rumors

RWhitney014 said:
Why do the Mets think they can acquire every team's ace for an average middle reliever and a immature, ****y center field prospect? What's in that deal for Oakland? They already have Kotsay.

You would have to ask them, but they are meeting about it now according to ESPN radio.

I'm the Mets I jump all over it!

MikeO said:
As a DH!!!

Is Drew going to be a DH in Boston??? NO!!! Big difference!

Comparing Thomas to Drew is a ridiculous stretch for other, more cogent, reasons:

1. Thomas was signed to a 1 year deal...in large part BECAUSE he's so injury prone. If he got injured again, the A's were only on the hook for a relatively small sum. Drew's signed for five years. The A's were taking on a minimal risk. The Red Sox are on the hook for a much bigger one.

2. Thomas was a fairly durable player when he was young; he averaged 147 games a year through age 32. Drew has no such history of showing he can play through minor injuries and suck it up through the ouchies and boo-boos of playing everyday.

3. Thomas's 2004 and 2005 seasons were spoiled, I believe, by major injuries fairly early on, as opposed to the nagging, minor injuries that keep Drew out of the lineup for a couple weeks here and there and add up to lots of lost time.

RWhitney014 said:
Why do the Mets think they can acquire every team's ace for an average middle reliever and a immature, ****y center field prospect? What's in that deal for Oakland? They already have Kotsay.

Because Billy Beane loves Milledge. The Mets could have had Zito for that package, so why's it such a stretch to think they could get Harden? After all, he's entering his 5th year (thus, two years from free agency), and after he was hurt last year, the bloom would appear to be off his rose.

And as an aside, Heilman's hardly an "average middle reliever". His ERA+ in 2005 was 132. Last year it was 119. Beane probably believes he can be a quality starter (as do I).

GreenMonster said:
I saw his great year in Atlanta.. Sadly that too is how I know JD. Drew..

in his "great" year in Atlanta he batted .200 in the playoffs w/ 0 Hrs and 1 RBI. Overall in postseason he has batted .233 w/ 3 Hrs and 6 RBI in 27 games and 86 ABs. He makes ARod look like Mr. October.

phunwin said:
Because Billy Beane loves Milledge. The Mets could have had Zito for that package, so why's it such a stretch to think they could get Harden? After all, he's entering his 5th year (thus, two years from free agency), and after he was hurt last year, the bloom would appear to be off his rose.

And as an aside, Heilman's hardly an "average middle reliever". His ERA+ in 2005 was 132. Last year it was 119. Beane probably believes he can be a quality starter (as do I).

I like Heilman, but I still think he needs another pitch to be a starter, especially if he goes to the AL.

Slappy8800 said:
isnt heilman a starter that the mets forced into the BP?

Yes, he had some great games also. They always said they wanted him to get another pitch. His problem was he did such a good job in the bullpen they didn't want to take him out.

nyjunc said:
in his "great" year in Atlanta he batted .200 in the playoffs w/ 0 Hrs and 1 RBI. Overall in postseason he has batted .233 w/ 3 Hrs and 6 RBI in 27 games and 86 ABs. He makes ARod look like Mr. October.

I said that in reference to him being injury plagued. He did have a great regular season, and he had an awful playoffs.. I would have saved the money for someone next year.

i dont get why people say Heilman is a starter? he has 2 pitches....

thats why the mets forced him to he bullpen. his repetwar(sp?) would not let him be a starter

Nappy Roots said:

thats why the mets forced him to he bullpen. his repetwar(sp?) would not let him be a starter

It's repetoire. And a third pitch can be taught. A change-up isn't hard to add to an arsenal, particularly if you already have a working curveball or slider to supplement your fastball. (Which Heilman does.)

Nappy Roots said:

repetoire i think it is :wink:

While Scott Boras' people continue to spread reports of a wild bidding war for Barry Zito, it hasn't appeared to frighten the Mets in any way. Several sources who have spoken with the Mets' delegation say the Mets are "not out of it" on Zito. But they have sent a firm message to Boras and Zito that, while they're willing to get into the Roy Oswalt territory (five years, $70-75 million), they're at a different stage than they were when they were showering seemingly unlimited money and years on Carlos Beltran and Pedro Martinez two years ago. Two years ago, according to one executive who had talked with the Mets, the team felt it "needed to do that. Now it's different." One friend of Zito said he thinks location (i.e., New York) might be as important to Zito as top dollars. But that, of course, isn't always how Boras thinks. At any rate, an official of one team interested in Zito said he's convinced that Zito won't sign before the end of the meetings. "I think we're still in the early stages," he said. "I don't think it's going to move very quickly."

Slappy8800 said:
could trading harden land zito back with Oak?

Nope, they're just content to take the 2 first round picks and move on. They can't afford him, irrespective of who they trade on that team.

Edit: Actually, I believe it's a first round pick and a sandwich pick.

phunwin said:
Nope, they're just content to take the 2 first round picks and move on. They can't afford him, irrespective of who they trade on that team.

Edit: Actually, I believe it's a first round pick and a sandwich pick.

actually didnt they get rid of the pick compensation for free agents?

also, yea a change up can be taught. but what hes is like 27 or 28? its not exactly a great idea to be teaching a pitch he has to have to a 27-28 year old in your rotation. also brings up the question of why the mets didnt teach him anything at a younger age? maybe they tried and he couldnt grasp it.

Back
Top Bottom