Offseason MLB rumors | Page 50 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offseason MLB rumors

Chavez Ravine said:
you may question Damon's ability by the end of that contract, but you won't question his heart.

With JD he'll sit out 10 games a year whether he's injured or not. In the field it appears as if he doesn't try and when he makes an out it appears as if he doesn't care.

Have fun with him, I just don't think it'll work out well.

Who's questioning Damon's heart? I pointed out that he plays through injuries, a very admirable quality (though it severly limits his effectiveness). I simply stated that Drew is a statistically superior ballplayer to Damon. There's no question about it, the numbers back it up.

And let's drop this idea that Johnny Damon is Mr. Durability, it's asinine. He may not have missed as many games as Drew has over the past few years, but Sox fans can clearly link his atrocious performances down the stretch of his last two years here to injuries.

Chavez Ravine said:
you may question Damon's ability by the end of that contract, but you won't question his heart.

With JD he'll sit out 10 games a year whether he's injured or not. In the field it appears as if he doesn't try and when he makes an out it appears as if he doesn't care.

Have fun with him, I just don't think it'll work out well.

Who really cares about heart? I don't think heart helps a guy hit the ball. Drew does seem to be carefree but considering that I don't think anything bothers ManRam he'll be accepted. Age has to be a factor when considering them. Drew does not stand-out like Damon but he'll get an opportunity to do that in Boston like Damon got. Right now most baseball fans either remember Drew for being the 2nd guy thrown out in the playoffs at homeplate last year or the guy who refused to sign with the Phillies.

I wasn't questioning Damon's heart, it was a poorly worded sentence on my part. Sorry.

Does heart help you hit the ball, no, but it does get you to play through injuries. It does keep you on the field.

Boston fan, if you want to love JD Drew go right ahead. If you want to say he's a top shelf player and is the missing piece in your lineup. Fine.

All I'm saying is that you'll be disappointed.

Chavez Ravine said:
I wasn't questioning Damon's heart, it was a poorly worded sentence on my part. Sorry.

Does heart help you hit the ball, no, but it does get you to play through injuries. It does keep you on the field.

Boston fan, if you want to love JD Drew go right ahead. If you want to say he's a top shelf player and is the missing piece in your lineup. Fine.

All I'm saying is that you'll be disappointed.

I'm not saying I love the Drew addition, if he can stay on the field then I like it sure. He IS in fact a top shelf player and the numbers back me up on that, he's one of the most productive outfielders in the game. As far as him being the missing piece of our lineup, he's sure as hell going to offer Manny more protection then he could ever dream of recieving from Nixon, Lowell or Varitek. But being the missing piece to our lineup, that's way too much of a stretch considering we have no idea what we're going to get from guys like Crisp, Varitek, Lowell, Youkilis and Pedroia.

If he stays on the field, I'm pretty sure myself and fellow Red Sox fans won't be disappointed.

djfresh47 said:
Right now most baseball fans either remember Drew for being the 2nd guy thrown out in the playoffs at homeplate last year or the guy who refused to sign with the Phillies.

I know him as the guy who never plays because he is always hurt! :lol:

MikeO said:

I saw his great year in Atlanta.. Sadly that too is how I know JD. Drew..

FaninPatsyLand said:
I'm not saying I love the Drew addition, if he can stay on the field then I like it sure. He IS in fact a top shelf player and the numbers back me up on that, he's one of the most productive outfielders in the game. As far as him being the missing piece of our lineup, he's sure as hell going to offer Manny more protection then he could ever dream of recieving from Nixon, Lowell or Varitek. But being the missing piece to our lineup, that's way too much of a stretch considering we have no idea what we're going to get from guys like Crisp, Varitek, Lowell, Youkilis and Pedroia.

If he stays on the field, I'm pretty sure myself and fellow Red Sox fans won't be disappointed.

Well, I hope it works out for Boston. Keep the Optimism up. We at least know JD will be healthy until April:D

Drew doesn't take pressure well. Look what happened when the Phillies drafted him. He's just not an East Coast guy, and he'll wilt in Boston.

The problem with such a big contract is that it's untradeable for a guy who averages 120 games and burns bridges everywhere he goes. He never even made it to Philly, the Cards couldn't get rid of him fast enough, the Braves brought him home and rewarded them by dashing the second he could, the Dodgers gave him a big deal and he screwed them out of the last three years of the contract for more money. What's going to happen the first time he goes 0-5 with 3 Ks against the Yanks and then sits out the next day?

Honestly, if Boston wanted a power-hitting, lefty corner OF, they should have signed David Dellucci for $20 million rather than Drew for $70. Dellucci's going to be in there, he's a great character guy, etc., etc. I'd take him any day over Drew. Honestly. Drew's just not a winner.

Whoa, breaking news, Jason Schmidt signs a 3/$47 with the Dodgers.

MikeO said:

Fair enough but what was the image of Johnny Damon before he went to Boston? He played with the A's and Royals I believe but nobody remembers that. Boston will give Drew a chance to elevate his game because seemingly everything about the Yankees and the Red Sox is 1st in baseball and everything else is 2nd. It could have the reverse effect but if they keep ManRam he's going to have alot of protection in that lineup. I'm guessing he hits 5th which is going to give him the opportunity to put up numbers. Some guys are injury prone but Frank Thomas was a MVP candidate after seemingly being hurt the last few seasons. Jermaine Dye went from being a guy who was injury prone to WS MVP.

djfresh47 said:
Some guys are injury prone but Frank Thomas was a MVP candidate after seemingly being hurt the last few seasons..

As a DH!!!

Is Drew going to be a DH in Boston??? NO!!! Big difference!

NJFINSFAN1 said:
Rich Harden to Mets for heilman and Lastings Millidge is being discused

Why do the Mets think they can acquire every team's ace for an average middle reliever and a immature, ****y center field prospect? What's in that deal for Oakland? They already have Kotsay.

RWhitney014 said:
Why do the Mets think they can acquire every team's ace for an average middle reliever and a immature, ****y center field prospect? What's in that deal for Oakland? They already have Kotsay.

what is it in for them is they know within a few years Harden is due big money and they don't want to pay that. So move him now and get something for him!

Back
Top Bottom