Omar Kelly: "Ryan Tannehill cannot throw-down the Middle? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Omar Kelly: "Ryan Tannehill cannot throw-down the Middle?

Wow Brady just hit the TD Pass that Tannehill missed Bess with. Please don't include Tannehill and Brady in the same sentence.

Wow Brady just hit the TD Pass that Tannehill missed Bess with. Please don't include Tannehill and Brady in the same sentence.

Your comparing a deep throw to Bess like its on par to a deep throw to Stallworth? Wow!

Wow, Brady just had 2 imcomplete passes.. Time to bench him. He is completely worthless!

TomBradywithSuperBowlXXXVIIILombardiTrop-1.jpg

I'm sorry .... you were saying?

Listening to Dan Selio and on several other occasions this has been one of Omar's biggest criticism against Tannehill. Is he right? Someone, particularly with X's and O's knowledge(Tedd,Hoops, Ck?) can you explain what hes talking about because frankly I just dont see what Omar is claiming.

Sure I can remember him not being accurate to Bess, Clay and Hartline going across the middle.But on the other hand I recall him squeezing it into Clay between three defenders and ALOT more successful throws in the middle of the field to Bess and Hartline, than not. In addition, I'm not even going to entertain the WHO THE HELL ON THIS TEAM CAN EVEN GET DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE FEILD? question

So bottom line what is it Omar is seeing that I'm not?

Thanks

Real simple, if you haven't figured it out, Omar "sees things in black and white"

i would agree that tannehill doesn't look off safeties all that well at this stage of things...i can understand that criticism...but not using the middle of the field and all this he's chad henne all over again stuff is just way off base...this kids got a whole hell of a lot more going for him than henne did and has today...henne threw into coverage all the time and we kicked fgs with henne in the red zone til the cows came home cause he couldn't anticipate...

this o may be struggling this year and most of that is personnel based and some schematics and usage with what we do actually have but when it has gotten in the red zone we've converted a solid amount of those trips into tds...

also if you think tom brady year one as a starter was looking off safeties completely torquing his body and head to the right and then coming back to the left on double moves to wes welker like he did yesterday well you'd be sadly mistaken...

I think it's just the ex-wr in Tannehill. He understands what it means to be running routes outside there.
Naturally he gravitates towards that. Which I think is great!
The problem is of course, our wr's. But I think Tannehill will improve drastically with some wr additions.

Now I definitely agree about he needs to maneuver the pocket better, particularly just by stepping up! However, even you have to admit his pocket presence is night and day from his first game. I dare say at this early stage he already has a better pocket awareness than C.Henne ever did.

I agree he's doing some things in the pocket much better than he did earlier in the season. But he appears to be regressing at times a bit lately and making some flat-footed throws or throws off the wrong foot that he might be able to better avoid by moving around in the pocket a bit better. But I think in the grand scheme of things those issues aren't totally unexpected.

I think there's some validity to it. At Texas A&M, Tannehill's most impressive passes were deep sideline throws. Ironically, that's the play Andrew Luck struggles with, the ball hanging.

Big 12 defenses are so soft you rarely have to throw over the middle. Robert Griffin seldom took that risk. Tannehill has seemed more hesitant than warranted many times.

The number of passes over the middle may look substantial but keep in mind they twist those stats toward great benefit of a doubt to the middle of the field. It's hardly the hashes as the guideline. Chart some games and you'll pick up on that in a hurry. I worked in a stats office for years. Passes well outside the hash marks are included as down the middle throws. NFL hash marks are much narrower than college so the percentage of passes over the middle would be very low if they upheld the strict definition of inside the hash marks.

BTW, this won't be popular but the crutch of bad receivers and skill players is overblown. Fans and media invariably want to make too much of an alteration in a case like that. You've got to think along the lines of 10% adjustment. That range is fine. Once you detour severely from there you're entering goofball land, the screaming talking head area.

Back
Top Bottom