One of Le Batard’s greatest articles… | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

One of Le Batard’s greatest articles…

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
Many many many guys do this every day. They just don't get paid millions of dollars to do so.
I went through my cycle of emotions just like everone else here. When I heard the news, it went from shock, to disbelief, anger, etc...but I've come full circle now. Time has a way of healing things and giving you fresh perspectives.

I can only speak for myself. I go to work, but that doesn't mean I have a passion for it. I'd walk in a second if I had millions in the bank.

It is also of my opinion that Ricky owes an apology to no one. I know, I wish we knew earlier so we could make run at the better RBs, but that's life. Yes, the timing wasn't perfect, but if the Dolphins wanted to cut Ricky, or any other player, they probably wouldn't let him know about it. They do what's best for the franchise. Ricky did what is best for himself. He chose making himself happy over getting bruised up for another season...he left a job that he no longer enjoys.

We only have one life to live...you don't get a sequel. Live it to the fullest. Who doesn't want to travel the world and experience different cultures? Sounds like a blast to me, and I'd rather do it at the ripe age of 27 instead of playing another 7 years in the league, possibly becoming a Hall of Famer, getting all the accolades and fame, being forever considered one of the RBs of all time. And what would he get for all the fame, "love," and money? Well, being that he's a "power" back, it's quite possible that he'd spend the rest of his life with arthritis, chronic back/knee problems, etc.. How enjoyable can your life be when you're suffering with pain everyday, and your medicine cabinet is full of pain meds?

Also, after reading some recent columns as well as the forums here, I have to ask, why do so many people seem to believe that money and fame reign supreme over everything? Some make comments that he's walking away from millions, and he won't be able to make money like that elsewhere. Really? Please explain. It really disturbs me when I hear a comment like that. A smart man with millions knows how to make more, if that's his goal in the first place.
There is much more to life than football...so many things to experience before you die. No one should waste they're life (or a part of it) doing something he or she doesn't want to do. Ask any senior citizen, and I'm sure you'll get the same advice. "Live life to the fullest." "Be Happy." It's as simple as that...RW is seeking happiness. I can only admire him for that.
And yes, I will still wear my Ricky Williams jersey proudly.

And not for nothing, but Dan Marino had pretty fair advanced warning that the Dolphins coaches really didn't want him to come back.

Last I checked, Dan got the message, since he was the one that exercised a clause in his contract to become a free agent...before the offseason started.

The Dolphins didn't give Dan the impression that they would allow him to continue playing QB until he was in a wheelchair. They didn't give him a false impression and allow him to financially depend on the Dolphins paying him millions of dollars in 2000 to play QB for them, and then brutally cut him with no warning. He opted to become a free agent, and the Dolphins just weren't very interested in signing him back. I mean, they didn't ring his phone off the hook looking for his services. I'm not saying he didn't deserve more respect, free agent or no he had been with us and done enough for us that he deserved a sit-down, laying it all out talk...but in the coaches' defense, Dan didn't call the Dolphins during that period either. It was like a stalemate battle of wills who was going to call first...and given the coaches' position that Dan was a free agent that they weren't really interested in...it wasn't all that likely that they would break the silence.

In the end though, Dan HAD his chance to come back. Wayne Huizenga stepped in, and said listen, enough of this silent stalemate. Dan is welcome to come back and play for the Dolphins for another year if he really wants to, he deserves that much. Wayne practically begged him.

And Dan said no. He knew retirement was the right decision. He just wanted to feel wanted...wanted to feel like the Dolphins still needed him.

Was it crappy and could it have been handled better on both sides? Yes, but no single side of the Dan Marino retirement incident, even the Dolphins side, compares to what Ricky did to his team.

MikeO said:
and the fact he is supposed to be miserable and make us happy.

No, if your miserable, LEAVE! Quit. Don't play anymore. But 1 week before camp you can't decide this. At that point you sit down, tell your teammates, coaches, friends, family.........that this is my last year. After this season I will retire.

If I have a huge presentation next week due for my firm which means big money to a lot of people who have paid my salary the past 2 years......and I call up today saying, nope, I quit. That's bullcrap. It's not being an adult. It's being totally selfish to the people who have been good to me in my life. And it just isn't right.

Ricky is 27 and needs to grow up!
I understand you viewpoint and how you're looking at it. It's easier for a firm to replace an employee than the Dolphins replacing RW, but it's fair comparison. I thought of the same scenario, too. I understand that he has essentially screwed the Dolphins. It happens that way sometimes. Life isn't fair.

Dolfan954 said:
Also, after reading some recent columns as well as the forums here, I have to ask, why do so many people seem to believe that money and fame reign supreme over everything? Some make comments that he's walking away from millions, and he won't be able to make money like that elsewhere. Really? Please explain. It really disturbs me when I hear a comment like that. A smart man with millions knows how to make more, if that's his goal in the first place.
There is much more to life than football...so many things to experience before you die. No one should waste they're life (or a part of it) doing something he or she doesn't want to do. Ask any senior citizen, and I'm sure you'll get the same advice. "Live life to the fullest." "Be Happy." It's as simple as that...RW is seeking happiness. I can only admire him for that.

Back during the 80's during the acid trips I thought like that....

What you are saying sounds good for the individual. So let's look at the individual. That is after all what you are addressing isn't it? The individual?

The individual has displayed that he doesn't have the responsibility to stop smoking pot even after it costs him millions of dollars. The individual is 27 spending money WILDLY. The individual has what two or three kids? The individual is known to have a disorder asscociated IN THE BRAIN. The individual has been determined to not have a clear concept of the reality of this world.

It's all nice to get philisophical when it pertains to a nutcase. It's entertaining to ponder if he really is the nutcase or if it's really us.

I do know this though. I conform. I spend frugally and save modestly. I'll pick up a paycheck this Friday.

Ricky Williams owes the Miami Dolphins 8 million dollars. Based upon his flight from Honolulu to Tokyo, from Tokyo to LA, then continuing from LA to Mass......I'll take wagers on if he actually has it. An unwed father of a couple of kids LOSING money.

Admirable?

Dolfan954 said:
I went through my cycle of emotions just like everone else here. When I heard the news, it went from shock, to disbelief, anger, etc...but I've come full circle now. Time has a way of healing things and giving you fresh perspectives.

I can only speak for myself. I go to work, but that doesn't mean I have a passion for it. I'd walk in a second if I had millions in the bank.

It is also of my opinion that Ricky owes an apology to no one. I know, I wish we knew earlier so we could make run at the better RBs, but that's life. Yes, the timing wasn't perfect, but if the Dolphins wanted to cut Ricky, or any other player, they probably wouldn't let him know about it. They do what's best for the franchise. Ricky did what is best for himself. He chose making himself happy over getting bruised up for another season...he left a job that he no longer enjoys.

We only have one life to live...you don't get a sequel. Live it to the fullest. Who doesn't want to travel the world and experience different cultures? Sounds like a blast to me, and I'd rather do it at the ripe age of 27 instead of playing another 7 years in the league, possibly becoming a Hall of Famer, getting all the accolades and fame, being forever considered one of the RBs of all time. And what would he get for all the fame, "love," and money? Well, being that he's a "power" back, it's quite possible that he'd spend the rest of his life with arthritis, chronic back/knee problems, etc.. How enjoyable can your life be when you're suffering with pain everyday, and your medicine cabinet is full of pain meds?

And yes, I will still wear my Ricky Williams jersey proudly.
Someone else who is missing the point. HE HAS THE RIGHT TO RETIRE, QUIT, AND LEAVE THE GAME! Nobody is saying otherwise. Where Ricky went wrong is waiting till last week to tell people. Ricky isn't some little kid. He is 27. He wants to be a free spirit, but NEWSFLASH::: He is 27 and has responsibilites. He has committments.

If Ricky were a MAN he would have told everyone this is his last season. Sucked it up for 1 more year because in late July he put everyone in a bind. Then RETIRE after the season. That is what a MAN would have done. This CHILD took his ball and went home and could have cared less about everyone else.

What, he couldn't be a "FREE SPIRIT" and TRAVEL THE WORLD at the age of 28? Please!

Dolphreak said:
Zod and Dupree hit the nail on the head!!!

LeRetard is, well, exactly that...

and I think I will tell my kids that I need to find myself rather than work to feed them. If they really care about my feelings and happiness they will support that decision... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
If you were a millionaire, it's possible that they would understand.

Dolfan954 said:

The problem is that thanks to the foresight of Bryan Weidmeyer.......

Ricky Williams should not be a millionaire much longer.

Dolfan954 said:

It is not the money, it is the responsibility. It is being a man.

ZOD said:
The problem is that thanks to the foresight of Bryan Weidmeyer.......

Ricky Williams should not be a millionaire much longer.
And IF he does come back someday a year or two from now.....he is still playing the first 4 games for FREE as the NFL fine of 4 game check still will stand! lol

"Just like Dave Wannstedt was guilty of putting his own needs ahead of Williams' by playing him in a meaningless game last season against the Jets to help save his job." - since when is a game against the Jets meaningless? Even if it doesn't have playoff implications I still would like to KILL THEM ALL.

777 said:
"Just like Dave Wannstedt was guilty of putting his own needs ahead of Williams' by playing him in a meaningless game last season against the Jets to help save his job." - since when is a game against the Jets meaningless? Even if it doesn't have playoff implications I still would like to KILL THEM ALL.

I actually agree. I think Ricky should of been benched that game.

777 said:
"Just like Dave Wannstedt was guilty of putting his own needs ahead of Williams' by playing him in a meaningless game last season against the Jets to help save his job."

Disdain for the game.... :nono:

777 said:
LeBatard will jump on a players back when a guy dogs it out on the field. But then in another breath is telling the Dolphins to take it easy during the final regular season game of the year and they shouldn't play their superstars.

Plus, the moron LeBatard doesn't realize that Ricky's contract is (was) incentive built. If Ricky didn't play......he would have lost money. By playing and gaining yards and all.....he made more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

If Wannstedt benched him, he is accused of holding Ricky down and preventing him from making money. If he plays him, he is accused of running him into the ground. He couldn't win! Dave did the right thing (for once)

ZOD said:
My problem is the disdain the author has for the sport.

If he would like to write about "the truth" of the world.....

How about the truth of that 8 year old kid that imitates football play in his backyard. He holds the ball from under center announcing his own prescence droping back in the pocket as "Jay Fiedler" or whoever. He throws the ball as high and far as he can to catch it as he announces the pass complete to himself "Chris Chambers".

That same kid grows up in an embattled home. That same kid has no future in football. That same kid becomes a man. That same kid "escapes" watching the fortunate play football for a living.

Truth? What is the truth?

Dan Lebatard does not like this game. The "truth" is he makes a living bottom feeding at the bottom of a beautiful ocean.
Just to make sure I'm understadnding correctly.

A kid grows up, plays football in the backyard, becomes a man, plays football, retires early to enjoy life and travel the world. That's what your other issue is w/ the article?

And how exactly is Dan "feeding at the bottom of a beautiful ocean" with the article? I'm not an apologist. If I'm wrong about something, I'll be the first (or second) to call myself on it. What I see is the story being told from the other side, the unpopular one...the opinion and way of thinking that is contrary to how the general public chooses to live life.

Back
Top Bottom