One of Le Batard’s greatest articles… | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

One of Le Batard’s greatest articles…

I can only speak for myself. I go to work, but that doesn't mean I have a passion for it. I'd walk in a second if I had millions in the bank.

If your bosses and coworkers depended on you and fashioned their plans around you for accomplishing important firm goals, and you won the lottery and up and quit like you say you would without ensuring that they would all get by without you, that makes you as big an @sshole as Ricky man. Sorry dude. The question isn't "If I got a windfall of money would I quit my job too?"

The reason is because the circumstances are different. Me, I'm not some big huge part of my company's game plan. I'm a small cog. If I wanted to up and quit, 2 weeks notice is all the notice I would need to give in order for everyone to be happy and to give the firm time to replace my production. Its important to keep perspective on this. What Ricky did isn't even the equivalent of me pulling off a surprise quitting without giving 2 weeks notice. The equivalent would be if I was suddenly given a huuuge project that the firm depended on to be even bare minimal successful for the year, a project that affects the entire firm and the wallets of everyone in it, and I eagerly take this project on and take so much of the responsibility that nobody else can come even close to replicating my abilities with the project, and then on the eve of the deadline, or the big presentation, or whatever...I quit. Everything comes to a screeching halt and people's wallets and lives and stress levels are all affected negatively, because I had the audacity to tell them they could trust me, have them give me a bunch of responsibility, and then I quit on them.

Other players on the team, their wallets are going to be affected, trust me. Seth McKinney has a right to be mad. He and the other OL are going to be evaluated based on the success of our offense and our running game, whether Ricky Williams is running the ball or not. Jay Fiedler, if he keeps his job, or AJ Feeley if he wins it, are going to be evaluated based on how they are able to run this offense, regardless of any excuses of our ground game not being good. The ground game sucks and so the QBs have a tougher time, and so the WRs have a tougher time. But when it comes to pay-day, are the negotiators, Rick Spielman and Matt Widmeier and all them going to take a look at their numbers and say "Hey, well, you didn't have very good numbers...but our ground game was aweful so we're going to pay you like the pro bowler you might have been had our ground game been good!"

Likewise even for the defense. When the defense keeps getting tired, because the offense keeps going 3 and out, and players start missing tackles, or teams start moving the ball...are the negotiators going to look and say "Well, you were tired cuz of the offense...we think you would have had a pro bowl year had the offense been better at ball control, so we're going to pay you accordingly"

Or wait, even worst, we lose a bunch of games cuz Ricky is gone, but the defense was good the whole time...but still, the FO begins to realize now more than ever that we need to take money away from the D and pour it onto the O. And, as a result, Sam Madison gets cut. Or, Zach Thomas gets cut. Or, we say bye to Tim Bowens earlier than we might have.

A bad season, leads to all sorts of bad consequences and bloodletting. Ricky put this team in a position to possibly have a very bad season. He affected the wallets of his teammates by timing it the way he did. If I were them, I would punch him the first time I saw him.

Dolfan954 said:
Just to make sure I'm understadnding correctly.

A kid grows up, plays football in the backyard, becomes a man, plays football, retires early to enjoy life and travel the world. That's what your other issue is w/ the article?

And how exactly is Dan "feeding at the bottom of a beautiful ocean" with the article? I'm not an apologist. If I'm wrong about something, I'll be the first (or second) to call myself on it. What I see is the story being told from the other side, the unpopular one...the opinion and way of thinking that is contrary to how the general public chooses to live life.

Whatever.....

I love my wife. She doesn't always she what I see neither. :D

ZOD said:
Back during the 80's during the acid trips I thought like that....

What you are saying sounds good for the individual. So let's look at the individual. That is after all what you are addressing isn't it? The individual?

The individual has displayed that he doesn't have the responsibility to stop smoking pot even after it costs him millions of dollars. The individual is 27 spending money WILDLY. The individual has what two or three kids? The individual is known to have a disorder asscociated IN THE BRAIN. The individual has been determined to not have a clear concept of the reality of this world.

It's all nice to get philisophical when it pertains to a nutcase. It's entertaining to ponder if he really is the nutcase or if it's really us.

I do know this though. I conform. I spend frugally and save modestly. I'll pick up a paycheck this Friday.

Ricky Williams owes the Miami Dolphins 8 million dollars. Based upon his flight from Honolulu to Tokyo, from Tokyo to LA, then continuing from LA to Mass......I'll take wagers on if he actually has it. An unwed father of a couple of kids LOSING money.

Admirable?
About the money, you don't know that he's spending money wildy in comparison to what he already has. You have no idea if he has 10 mil in the bank, or 40 mil.

It's similar to some teenager telling you that you're spending your money wildly because you just bought a new dodge neon, and at the same time, you're pulling down $80,000 per (although you'd have to be crazy if you're buying a neon w/ an $80,000 salary :tongue: ).

I actually agree. I think Ricky should of been benched that game.

I'm torn on that. You play to win the game. I always believe that. Thats the whole point of football. I know people say the point is to go to and win the super bowl, but I disagree. You play the game, to win, regardless of overall outcome. You win enough, and you win the Super Bowl which becomes proof that your team won more in situations that counted, more than any other team.

If you start taking players out of a meaningless game, just because they should be rested, you open a nice big can of worms. Why are any of those players out there risking their bodies then? How can you point to Travis Minor and say, hey you, get in there in the meat grinder because Ricky's body is too important to us for next season. Who even knows what will happen by next season. In this particular case, we would have saved Ricky some pounding, just so that he could quit on us at a very inconvenient moment. I think its best to always play to win the game, and that means playing your best players.

I'm only torn because, I also tend to think Wannstedt should have taken Jay Fiedler out against the Bills and Jets, and seen what Sage Rosenfels could do...because that would have added some very real value in determining our QB situation for 2004 and after.

Think of it this way lots of teams get mathematically or at least realistically eliminated from playoff contention aweful early in the season. Should they pack it up and not even step onto the field? Should they not dress any veteran and let all the young guys play, just waiting for the next year?

I think you play to win the game and thats a good general axiom to go by and so I don't blame Dave Wannstedt for trying to win those games.

I also believe the fans got enjoyment out of seeing the Phins beat the Bills and Jets...and I think they get some enjoyment out of knowing we were 10-6 and still missed the playoffs...because to me knowing we were a 10-6 team and still never got a shot to go to the playoffs, gives me more pride in the 2003 team than if we were like, 8-8.

ZOD said:
The problem is that thanks to the foresight of Bryan Weidmeyer.......

Ricky Williams should not be a millionaire much longer.
You think he won't be a millionaire much longer just because he's not playing football? Sports isn't the only way to make money...and I'm not saying that to insult your intellegence. It's just that we get caught up in salaries that players make, and seems that we forget...they don't all JUST play football.

ckparrothead said:
I'm torn on that. You play to win the game. I always believe that. Thats the whole point of football. I know people say the point is to go to and win the super bowl, but I disagree. You play the game, to win, regardless of overall outcome. You win enough, and you win the Super Bowl which becomes proof that your team won more in situations that counted, more than any other team.

I agree you play to win the game. However I see it more of an opportunity to show yourself more then just benching Williams.

Sorry, there is no loyalty in sports. Very seldom if any. Selfish? Why, because he decided he longer wanted to stay at that job? He no longer wanted to get pounded by 3-4 250lb LBs 30 times a game?

Selfish is when you take food from your daughter, or when you have a full bag of potato chips and don't share with anyone in the room. Making a career choice is no where near selfish. Is Ricky also selfish because he didn't share his millions with us fans? Come on now.

ckparrothead said:
If your bosses and coworkers depended on you and fashioned their plans around you for accomplishing important firm goals, and you won the lottery and up and quit like you say you would without ensuring that they would all get by without you, that makes you as big an @sshole as Ricky man. Sorry dude. The question isn't "If I got a windfall of money would I quit my job too?"

The reason is because the circumstances are different. Me, I'm not some big huge part of my company's game plan. I'm a small cog. If I wanted to up and quit, 2 weeks notice is all the notice I would need to give in order for everyone to be happy and to give the firm time to replace my production. Its important to keep perspective on this. What Ricky did isn't even the equivalent of me pulling off a surprise quitting without giving 2 weeks notice. The equivalent would be if I was suddenly given a huuuge project that the firm depended on to be even bare minimal successful for the year, a project that affects the entire firm and the wallets of everyone in it, and I eagerly take this project on and take so much of the responsibility that nobody else can come even close to replicating my abilities with the project, and then on the eve of the deadline, or the big presentation, or whatever...I quit. Everything comes to a screeching halt and people's wallets and lives and stress levels are all affected negatively, because I had the audacity to tell them they could trust me, have them give me a bunch of responsibility, and then I quit on them.

Other players on the team, their wallets are going to be affected, trust me. Seth McKinney has a right to be mad. He and the other OL are going to be evaluated based on the success of our offense and our running game, whether Ricky Williams is running the ball or not. Jay Fiedler, if he keeps his job, or AJ Feeley if he wins it, are going to be evaluated based on how they are able to run this offense, regardless of any excuses of our ground game not being good. The ground game sucks and so the QBs have a tougher time, and so the WRs have a tougher time. But when it comes to pay-day, are the negotiators, Rick Spielman and Matt Widmeier and all them going to take a look at their numbers and say "Hey, well, you didn't have very good numbers...but our ground game was aweful so we're going to pay you like the pro bowler you might have been had our ground game been good!"

Likewise even for the defense. When the defense keeps getting tired, because the offense keeps going 3 and out, and players start missing tackles, or teams start moving the ball...are the negotiators going to look and say "Well, you were tired cuz of the offense...we think you would have had a pro bowl year had the offense been better at ball control, so we're going to pay you accordingly"

Or wait, even worst, we lose a bunch of games cuz Ricky is gone, but the defense was good the whole time...but still, the FO begins to realize now more than ever that we need to take money away from the D and pour it onto the O. And, as a result, Sam Madison gets cut. Or, Zach Thomas gets cut. Or, we say bye to Tim Bowens earlier than we might have.

A bad season, leads to all sorts of bad consequences and bloodletting. Ricky put this team in a position to possibly have a very bad season. He affected the wallets of his teammates by timing it the way he did. If I were them, I would punch him the first time I saw him.
CK,

You should know I have a lot of respect for you. You always give solid opinions and insight, but...

I'm sorry. We have to agree to disagree here.

Everything you posted about what Ricky did and why it's wrong, I understand where you're coming from. I've commented on that in this thread also. It's unfortunate and selfish that he left the team like that, but he doesn't care. I wouldn't care either. If I had to choose between staying on for another year just to please others, coming to work everyday and dreading it when I could easily just retire....I would retire also.

You don't have to like his decision, but after reading Dan Le Batard's recent articles, at least one can appreciate the thought process behind it.

To me, life is too short for me to waste it doing something I don't like, just so others will be happy.

Dolfan954 said:
CK,

You should know I have a lot of respect for you. You always give solid opinions and insight, but...

I'm sorry. We have to agree to disagree here.

Everything you posted about what Ricky did and why it's wrong, I understand where you're coming from. I've commented on that in this thread also. It's unfortunate and selfish that he left the team like that, but he doesn't care. I wouldn't care either. If I had to choose between staying on for another year just to please others, coming to work everyday and dreading when I could easily just retire....I would retire also.

You don't have to like his decision, but after reading Dan Le Batard's recent articles, at least one can appreciate the thought process behind it.

To me, life is too short for me to waste it doing something I don't like, just so others will be happy.

so another words you agree with CK. You just forgive ricky because you are as selfish as he is.

ZOD said:
My problem is the disdain the author has for the sport.

If he would like to write about "the truth" of the world.....

How about the truth of that 8 year old kid that imitates football play in his backyard. He holds the ball from under center announcing his own prescence droping back in the pocket as "Jay Fiedler" or whoever. He throws the ball as high and far as he can to catch it as he announces the pass complete to himself "Chris Chambers".

That same kid grows up in an embattled home. That same kid has no future in football. That same kid becomes a man. That same kid "escapes" watching the fortunate play football for a living.

Truth? What is the truth?

Dan Lebatard does not like this game. The "truth" is he makes a living bottom feeding at the bottom of a beautiful ocean.

The truth !? The truth is LeBatard is probably working on a book deal or hoping for a Pulitzer, or full time gig on ESPN's PIT. Don't think for a second he's in it to try and help Ricky, the Phins, or us fans.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
It is not the money, it is the responsibility. It is being a man.

For what? The Fans? So he's not a man because he retired 1 week before training camp? He's irresponsible because he quit his job when he wanted to?

LOL, come now. I'm starting to see the reason fans are fanatics.

bigmiamifan said:
For what? The Fans? So he's not a man because he retired 1 week before training camp? He's irresponsible because he quit his job when he wanted to?

LOL, come now. I'm starting to see the reason fans are fanatics.

He has responsiblities to his teamates, and his organization. There are times to retire and times to not retire. It is the same with your job if you are someone who is important. you don't quit during a huge project where they are really counting on you. Heck even 3 weeks ago would of been better for Ricky to retire.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
so another words you agree with CK. You just forgive ricky because you are as selfish as he is.
I understand his perspective, and the logic behind his opinion. I just don't agree with the opinion.

He believes that the employee is obligated to let his employer know that he's retiring.

I don't care what's going on with the company if I'm retiring. What the company does is not a concern to me.

Hope that clears it up...

Dolfan954 said:
I understand his perspective, and the logic behind his opinion. I just don't agree with the opinion.

He believes that the employee is obligated to let his employer know that he's retiring.

I don't care what's going on with the company if I'm retiring. What the company does is not a concern to me.

Hope that clears it up...
What the company does is not a concern to you? WOW, way to live life. Just do what you want and screw everyone else!

templarwd said:
The truth !? The truth is LeBatard is probably working on a book deal or hoping for a Pulitzer, or full time gig on ESPN's PIT. Don't think for a second he's in it to try and help Ricky, the Phins, or us fans.
And if he's doing that, that makes him smart for finding a way to get money. I can't knock anyone's hustle.

Back
Top Bottom