Our defense | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our defense

I seem to recall that CK immediately flagged his concerns re Wheeler's coverage skills, upon his top $ signing as a free agent. After 11 games, we look perplexed and hope that he will get better, but this looks like a major preventable bust. Ireland had some FA wins in Grimes and Gibson, but he should be accountable for the expensive busts as well. It would be interesting to know how much Philbin/Coyle were involved in stating what they wanted from the LBs. If they lobbied hard for blitzing LBs like Wheeler, Ireland may have a scapegoat, that he was trying to get what the Defensive Coordinator said he needed. At any rate, if CK knew they likely issue, Ireland should have known it as well.

BTW - we agree to disagree re Koa Misi. I see a player who has steadily improved. I don't think he's a problem.

Misi is what he is. He is an OK player who is a pretty good tackler. Hes not Bad (like Wheeler) And isnt good Either. He is just OK. Hes not the problem, but he also isnt replaceable by any means. I dont mind him on a cheap deal. I actually said i think we should switch him to MLB because i think he is a much better tackler and has better instincts.

Miami was able to stop the run before, and then Coyle changed the Front 7 scheme and Ireland swapped out two LBs. Now, they struggle against the run. The same thing happened on offense; Philbin and Sherman changed the blocking schemes, and Ireland went with Miller over Bush. And again, now the o-line is bad and there is no running game. This is why I don't like Philbin and his offensive and defensive schemes. If the pre-Philbin team had received upgrades at certain positions, they would be a lot better than this current team.

They're not improving with time and additional talent; they're regressing.

Well, they'll likely get another year. Then if nothing happens, they'll be canned. I agree that there's been a lot of swapping out of players with no results. It's embarrassing that we can't get even a couple of yards on some plays, and on the defensive side of the ball teams run right up our gut and we can't stop them. We always did before.

But I'm not concerned about the defense. The offense isn't pulling their weight. The D gets turnovers, gives them the ball in great field position and we do nothing with it, we punt or maybe get a FG. Can you imagine how discouraging that has to be, for them?

Our defense is good, but they would be better if our offense could consistently stay on the field and score points..

Burnett has 3 sacks, 3 hits, and 12 hurries, ranked #12 on pass rush. Wheeler has 1-4 and 17, ranked #3. Last year, Burnett had 2-6 and 7, ranked #8, Wheeler had 3- 14 and 13, ranked #2. PFF does not give half sacks.

Also interesting to note is that in the first 4 games Gave up 22 catches of 26 throws for 239 yards and 2 TD's. In the last 7 games, he gave up 14 of 21 for 115 yards and 0 TD's. In addition, he had 6 missed tackles in game #3. He has improved.

This is just another point that shows the flaw in the way PFF grades. They seem to place equal emphasis on a sack and a hurry and no they are not the same. A sack kills the play and creates a loss, alot of things can happen on a hurry or even a hit but a sack is almost always much better.

This is just another point that shows the flaw in the way PFF grades. They seem to place equal emphasis on a sack and a hurry and no they are not the same. A sack kills the play and creates a loss, alot of things can happen on a hurry or even a hit but a sack is almost always much better.

Their pass rush grades are not based on sacks, hits, or hurries. They are based on what each player does on every play. A sack is only one play receiving a high grade. A hurry is another receiving a different grade. Then there is a missed tackle getting a negative grade or being blocked getting a different grade.

Their pass rush grades are not based on sacks, hits, or hurries. They are based on what each player does on every play. A sack is only one play receiving a high grade. A hurry is another receiving a different grade. Then there is a missed tackle getting a negative grade or being blocked getting a different grade.

Generally I like PFF's stats, but I think they are overvalueing what Wheeler does. He gets hurries so much because we blitz him alot, and when he gets pressure, other guys are usually applying pressure at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom