Over the last 5 years, Dolphins ranked number 2 in drafting. | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Over the last 5 years, Dolphins ranked number 2 in drafting.

So you admit that poor coaching had an effect on how our players turned out?
Yes it did for the 49ers who actually had talent and it did for us who actually lost talent from a team already lacking talent and finished with 1 more win!

You contradict yourself. You refer to smith in a negative manner, complain that Hartline only had one TD, a D-Line that can't get pressure WITH Starks, and then talk about how we are getting worse without them. The math doesn't add up. Are these good enough players to resign, or not? I just don't understand all the hate for Ireland. At least not until we see what he does this offseason. It's not like this guy has been Matt Millen...
How is it contradicting myself? It isn't rocket science. You do want to keep your decent players and add better players. This isn't happening. As an example, I would love to keep Hartline but he shouldn't be the number one receiver. Any number 1 receiver who has 1 TD, that team is in trouble. I am saying the players that Ireland has drafted are not game changers and the ones that could be solid contributors if we got better players are being lost (or stand to lose) in FA. Seriously DUH!

You know what the data tells me? It's ALL about the QB. Take the Chiefs for instance, they have 6 Pro Bowlers, but the #1 overall pick? Why? Because their QB was garbage. If you put Russel Wilson on that team in 2012, that same team is in the playoffs.

The reason the top 5 best drafting teams over the past 5 years all have poor records is because they failed at drafting the MOST IMPORTANT position. Put a good QB on those squads, and they are instant playoff teams.

EDIT:

That being said, I also think that coaching does play a part in it, as evidenced by the 49ers situation.

as i read this thread, i also started thinking the same thing.

as i read this thread, i also started thinking the same thing.
Bro I think it has to do a lot with are the players buying into to what the coaching staff is all about. When Tony was here yes and then it turned into a no. With Coach Philbin it is definitely a yes. Ireland needs to get the players in here now.

Seriously? Is this a real post? Starting for an NFL team, something only 264 people per year in the entire world get to say, doesn't make him good? Rationality has left this forum...

Marc Colombo started for us. You know something only 264 people per year can do. Does that make him good? How about Mark Sanchez or Chad Henne?

Just because you start for a team doesn't mean you are good.

I guess this puts a monkey wrench in the narrative of most of the fire Ireland experts here...I have always stated that Ireland has drafted well when it was HIS drafts. This more than proves it. Now those good drafts must turn into wins over the course of next two - three years...

Give me anything that has stats, and I can argue soundly FOR or AGAINST it with success....
What I'm trying to say is you can skew anything. It's all about your perspective.

You say,
"Ireland's drafted well, and this more than proves it"

When someone else might say,
"Miami fans love to pick apart ireland for his picks. He truely has been poor in the 2rd and 3rd which is where a lot of other teams find those good players. The only pick he took in the second for depth was Pat White and that is potentially his biggest bust ever. A player he took for need was Sean Smith (his best 2nd rounder to date). The need worked out the depth failed in this case. But he needs to start finding impact players in the 2nd and 3rd. He has 4 of those picks this year and thats a scary thought with his track record in those rounds.
Ireland has been almost brilliant in the 5th.

Hes been ok in the 1st. Odrick might be his only questionable pick in the first. Oddly this is another "depth pick". Odrick might end up being ok in the 4-3 at DT if Randy Starks moves on. But he was drafted as a 3-4 DE and they were loaded at that time there. Other than Lamar Miller this was the most depth pick Ireland has ever made. So its potentially a bad pick really only because he could have taken Earl Thomas (a huge need at safety that year) or potentially JPP at 12. Instead he traded back to get Koa Misi (not JPP) and Odrick (depth). This really circles back the the fact of how much the brandon marshall trade really hurt miami. Because they felt they needed to trade back to get a pick back and as result passing on players like JPP or Earl Thomas or even Dez Bryant.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Dolphins are and have been recently a mediocre team, which means young guys get a chance to start over veterans who aren't that good. The Dolphins also don't resign their own draft picks. No one brings it up but no one Jeff Ireland has drafted has been resigned by the team, which means newer rookies are regularly getting shots to play.

Also, we do a terrible job signing unrestricted free agents. Most of them don't get big free agent deals but they also don't make the team or play much. Which means, hey... more draft picks.

Any study that places equal weight on starts and doesn't factor in the quality of the player starting is just playing with their own poop, imo. It's like saying every major college program does an equally good job of recruiting if an equal percentage of their recruits end up playing. Sorry, but my little scorecard says Alabama is better than you, Rutgers.

Be careful!!! All that logic may cause a couple brains to explode.

Its a good starting point....you still need to more closely scrutinize the play of these selections to fully grade it I think.

Back
Top Bottom