Over the last 5 years, Dolphins ranked number 2 in drafting. | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Over the last 5 years, Dolphins ranked number 2 in drafting.

It's like libel law. Stating the truth about a situation is not the same as taking a shot. Our offensive line is what it is. These players were obtained by Ireland. Are you saying that the problem with the offensive line last year was that Philbin and company are incapable of getting the best out of these players?

Sorry to be a stickler, but it's spelled liable. :crazy:

Well in all fairness we were a top rushing team in 2008 and 2009.

And I will grant you that we were a top rushing team in 2008 and 2009. I am more than willing to give Ireland credit where credit is due. The problem is that we are now in 2013 not 2009 and I have to look at where the team is today, not where it was then. And where it is now is a team with promise but also with serious problems to overcome. I contend we should be in a better place after five years of Ireland stewardship.

As the son-in-law of a man who spent 40 years coaching high school football here in Florida, I am more sensitive than most to the effect a good football coach can have on a team. I have seen my father-in-law win district championships when he had players with great talent and when he had players with ordinary talent. Sporano was a terrible head coach whose only success came because he was willing to try a formation and plays that had not used for fifty years. Some of Jeff Ireland's legacy must be clearly attributed to Sporano. The problem is that we can never know for sure how much. I pray that Philbin proves to be much more competent than Sporano.

Sorry to be a stickler, but it's spelled liable. :crazy:

From dictionary.com:

[h=2]li·bel[/h] [lahy-buh
thinsp-1.png
thinsp-1.png
l
] Show IPA noun, verb, li·beled, li·bel·ing or ( especially British ) li·belled,li·bel·ling.

noun1.Law.a.defamation by written or printed words, pictures, or in any form other than by spoken words orgestures.

b.the act or crime of publishing it.

c.a formal written declaration or statement, as one containing the allegations of a plaintiff or thegrounds of a charge.

2.anything that is defamatory or that maliciously or damagingly misrepresents.

verb (used with object)3.to publish a libel against.

4.to misrepresent damagingly.

5.to institute suit against by a libel, as in an admiralty court.

I'm not the one who judged our offensive line 23rd in the league, PFF did. I keep going back to the offensive line because the amount of resource Ireland has allocated there. If Ireland had made four high round draft picks and multiple expensive free agent signings for Wide Receiver with the same results, we would be discussing the Wide Receiver position.

We're going to have to agree to disagree about the quality of Ireland's drafts. You think he has done well, I think he has done poorly. He's still employed and the Dolphins are still on a four year losing streak, so he must have some uncanny talent for organizational survival - perhaps he has been studying with Matt Millen.

One final comment about GMs and Head Coaches in the NFL being able to work together to draft the players they need: In most situations in today's NFL a Head Coach gets three years to turn things around. Three years. You don't have enough high draft picks in three years to completely rework all the key positions on your roster. So a head coach had better be able to coach up the players he has now because he doesn't get enough time to wait to get everything he wants in personnel before he will face the retain/fire decision. If the Dolphins aren't appreciably improved over 7-9 next season, both GM and Head Coach will deserve the hot seat they will find themselves on.

This offensive line was put together to be a road grading power blocking style team.

This year we changed to a zone blocking scheme which calls for a different kind of player. Can't really fault Ireland there. If anything you fault the coaches for trying to push players into their scheme rather than adapting to what they had ala Shula who changed his philosophy midstream when he got Marino

And I will grant you that we were a top rushing team in 2008 and 2009. I am more than willing to give Ireland credit where credit is due. The problem is that we are now in 2013 not 2009 and I have to look at where the team is today, not where it was then.

You have to look at where we were then to understand how arrived at where we are today. This statement pretty much contradicts everything you have said in this thread and I stopped reading after that sentence....

This offensive line was put together to be a road grading power blocking style team.

This year we changed to a zone blocking scheme which calls for a different kind of player. Can't really fault Ireland there. If anything you fault the coaches for trying to push players into their scheme rather than adapting to what they had ala Shula who changed his philosophy midstream when he got Marino

Amen.

Which explains why we it will take us more than this offseason to become competitive, as well as why we should not tie up big money on Long.

Whoever came up with this, I think he'd be a splendid candidate to win 42-45% of his bets. There are guys like that. Impressively sharp, and dedicated, but they have a remarkable skill at ignoring major variables that skew the numbers.

My first summer in Las Vegas I met an example. I was determined to soak up knowledge from older guys. Three regulars at the Stardust all had different reasons for being in town but they sat together. I joined the lot. One of them was a bookworm type, although not as nerdy, and a baseball fanatic. He raved about Bill James, the first time I'd heard the name. This guy only stayed in town during baseball season, and didn't arrive until a significant block of games had been played. He was gung ho, figuring out the "correct price" on every game and then playing off the differences. He referred to his little spiral notebook constantly. Every day he walked the Strip, zeroing in on the best price. If his formula and notebook said the "correct price" was +1.25, for example, and he was getting +1.40 or higher, that was a bet. He made no subjective judgments. It was the first I'd heard of that type of approach. Intriguing.

But there was one minor difficulty. Baseball is a streaky game. His system was identifying bargains in the number primarily because the opponent was on a winning streak, or his team was on a losing streak. That is built into the price. Every day we'd wait for him to arrive at the Stardust but we already knew who he had. He's be betting on any team that was mired in a losing streak, and against every team that was streaking. One of the other two guys, named Ron, would chuckle about it. "His system identifies losers. That's all it does. I feel sorry for him because he works so hard."

Some years the streaks end at 4 or 5. Other years they get carried away, toward double digits or beyond. Our friend could survive the first type, but not the second. Unfortunately, for the two baseball seasons I knew him, the second type prevailed. He left town the first year earlier than planned, determined to tweak his system. But the next summer it seemed stubbornly identical. Also the results. Last time I saw him was at the long gone El Rancho buffet, staring at a plate of barely touched pot roast. He couldn't believe how much he had lost for the trip, and wasn't sure he'd be back the following season.

That's a roundabout way to say I think this system unintentionally isolates favorable situation for drafts to look better than they are. Call it short sighted or any related term. If we revisited again in a few years, I suspect the conclusions would be similar, with strange teams at the top.

Well apparently being the 2nd best drafting team in the league equates to utter mediocrity. Whoopie.

I don't see why Ireland's method of drafting is so terrible. Draft size and strength - things that can't be taught - early. Giants, Ravens, Niners..all of them subscribe to the same philosophy. He just has to learn to match that with finding playmakers in the mid rounds or BETTER YET, SIGNING THEM in free agency (mike wallace plz thx)

The NFL has and always will be a coaches league. Talent matters yes, but is a coaches league. When you have 50 moving parts, its more than players. Scheme's and game planning are CRITICAL.

It think people severely undervalue how much a good coaching staff means to the success of a team. Harbaugh came in and has taken the 9ers to two straight NFC title appearances with virtually the same exact players that was losing year in and year out, yet going to the pro bowl individually. It seems to me, the "blame Ireland" mantra is just lazy. How can you really know what you have in some of your players if the guys who are supposed to lead these young men is the "one eyed man in the land of the blind"?

Certainly a strong point that the 2nd best drafting team not winning games makes no sense. But how much of this is the coaching rather than the players? Sorry if this was discussed already but 12 pages is a lot to go through.

I support Jeff Ireland because he is our GM and isn't going anywhere just yet but I can't be convinced that we've been the best drafting team over the last five years.

Packers, Steelers, Ravens, Patriots are the top teams in this area.

Ireland is actually a pretty solid drafter, the problem is he hasn't drafted enough playmakers which is why we're always a 7-9 team. Hopefully that changes this year.

Throwing in the towel before free agency and the draft? Come on now.

I really hate when fans act all doom and gloom before the process even starts. We are not digressing because we don't even know 100% what the team will look like in 2013. It is easy to list off our free agents and speculate that they are losses, but REALISTICALLY some of those guys will be back. They will add more free agents from other teams and they are loaded with high round draft picks. The ammunition is there for the team to likely get better, not worse.
Throwing in the towel, really dude? You act as though this same thing has not been happening since Ireland was involved. I hope for the best....but the last 5 years has me a little worried!

Back
Top Bottom