Pac-10 to be Pac-16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pac-10 to be Pac-16

CedarPhin

King of the Moondoggers
Club Member
Reaction score
...it would appear.

The Big 12 meetings are reaching their climax Thursday and Friday in Kansas City with the presidents and chancellors from the league coming together to discuss pressing issues, including sites for championships. (Look for the Big 12 title game in football to stay at Cowboys Stadium for the next three years.)

But when it comes to possible realignment, the Big 12 meetings may be premature.

Why?

Because it appears the Pac-10, which has its meetings in San Francisco starting this weekend, is prepared to make a bold move and invite Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado to join its league, according to multiple sources close to the situation.

Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds has maintained that the Longhorns will do whatever it takes to remain the Jones' of college football.
Left out would be Iowa State, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, Nebraska and Missouri.

Messages left with Pac-10 officials by Orangebloods.com on Thursday were not immediately returned.

The six teams from the Big 12 would be in an eight-team division with Arizona and Arizona State. The other eight-team division would consist of USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1090747

Wow.

i wonder what happens if all these teams join, the big 12 will have to reload with teams from other conferences, tcu, utah, boise, would be canidates in my mind, barring that boise doesn't get accepted into the MWC that is. more than likely with conferences looking to expand, some conferences will die out, perhaps the big east is one of those conferences.

i don't know if i would say no big 12, no one knows say i can't say for sure. but the big 12 is too big of a power on and off the athletic fields, it's a big money maker. if the pac-10 expands as cedarphin quoted may happen, then more than likely it would do what the big east did in the early 2000's when miami, va tech, and boston college left, just go out and reload the conference. which i don't see the big east doing again if the likes of the big 10 and acc take teams such as rutgers, pittsburgh, cincinnati, or perhaps wvu. that is just speculation though, i know for a fact the big 10 is trying to add mizzou, rutgers, and pitt, and i'm pretty sure nebraska but i can't remember. so i say the big east will be extinct in the coming years. and the big 12 will just be reborn, but lack luster.

I can't believe people can't see what's really going on here....

16 team "super conferences" look good on paper, but this is just another way for the NCAA to keep side stepping the issue and keep the BCS in tact without going to a playoff... It's still about money...

There should be eight 12 team conferences all geographically situated....and several of the teams new to D-1 need to step back down to D-1AA.... they're already irrelevant.... 16 team "super conferences" just makes them even more irrelevant...

..but at least the the Pac-10 and Big-10 can put a stop to this SEC dominance and hogging all the national championships, BCS money, and tv contracts, right? Sure....

Basically, this all boils down to Notre Dame's refusing to join a conference.... ND's belligerence has been a key sore spot for decades in college football....

If they're so hellbent on keeping this flawed BCS system in tact, then you should be required to be part of a conference in order to get your hands on BCS money and/or play in a BCS game....

..AND have a conference championship game...

Yes, talking to you Pac-10/Big-10, etc...

This is going to ruin the landscape of college football the way it has stood for decades and do away with many of the rivalries that made it what it is in the first place...

Texas A&M wants no part of joining the Pac-10, and wants to join the SEC.... meanwhile doesn't mind splitting up with Texas if they go join the Pac-10/Big-10, etc.... where's the rivalry? Nobody in the SEC cares if Texas A&M joins the UN for ****'s sake....

The Big-12 is eventually going to be back to the ol' Southwest Conference days eventually....

The SEC is just going to sit back and see how this all plays out.... as the saying goes..... "It's better to step over all the dead bodies than to get caught in the crossfire"....

Good point Ted. It all hangs on Nebraska and Notre Dame at this point. When those decisions are made the dominoes will fall or stay in place. Notre dame stay indy and all hell breaks lose. They go to the big 10 and big 12 stays

According to some reports, people are expecting Nebraska to make the jump to the Big 10 by the end of the week. By the way, if you're going to expand the PAC 10 into the PAC 16, then at the very least it should make sense geographically. Utah, Colorado, Hawaii, San Diego State, Fresno State, and BYU would make a lot more sense than adding the Big 12 teams.

CFT is reporting that Tom Osbourne has in fact told his staff that Nebraska will move to the Big Ten. So that's the end of the Colorado-Nebraska rivalry and what was left of the Oklahoma-Nebraska rivalry.

And it looks like the 6 schools in discussion here will all bolt to the new mega-conference. Goodbye Big XII. We will miss you.

Also, think about basketball here. What does KU do?

Well fellow SECers, what happens now?

CFT is reporting that Tom Osbourne has in fact told his staff that Nebraska will move to the Big Ten. So that's the end of the Colorado-Nebraska rivalry and what was left of the Oklahoma-Nebraska rivalry.

And it looks like the 6 schools in discussion here will all bolt to the new mega-conference. Goodbye Big XII. We will miss you.

Also, think about basketball here. What does KU do?

Well fellow SECers, what happens now?

It's very, very sad for college football purests like myself.... The only positive in this IMO is that the NCAA should be disband soon... and college football is going to be ruled by the conference commissioners...

Hell they might as well, the conference commissioners are already the richest in all of collegiate athletics (other than the highest paid coaches i.e. Saban, Meyer, Kiffin, etc..)... the conference commissioners have all the power finally... and they'll straighten out this BCS mess....

Nebraska to the Big-10 makes some sense though.... The Huskers have the fanbase and endowment to be an asset to the Big-10.... Nebraska has sold out EVERY home game since 1962... THAT is a passionate fanbase... and it makes at least some sense geographically...

I'm not sure what teams the Pac-10 will allow in... because it has to be unanimous among the Pac-10 schools to welcome a new school to the conference... and with the academic standards of places like Stanford, Cal, etc....I'm not sure which Big-12 schools they would accept other than Texas, simply because Texas is college football royalty and brings the big bucks. The Pac-10 has already shot down some schools before (I think around 1990 or so) that wanted to join...If I'm not mistaken, Texas A&M was one of them....

But they may accept A&M as part of a package deal to get Texas....

As for the SEC.... they already have everything under control. There's already a plan in place should all this realignment go down.... all they have to do is hit the "execute" button...

The SEC didn't get where it's at by being reactive.... but proactive...

Adding 2 more schools sounds about right...

As for the SEC.... they already have everything under control. There's already a plan in place should all this realignment go down.... all they have to do is hit the "execute" button...

The SEC didn't get where it's at by being reactive.... but proactive...

Adding 2 more schools sounds about right...
That's what I was thinking, but which schools? GT and Clemson?

That's what I was thinking, but which schools? GT and Clemson?

GT makes some sense from a historical standpoint.... they have a history with the SEC and belonged to it until 1963 I believe... plus, it adds the Atlanta area tv market...

The cons are that GT doesn't exactly have the fanbase to be an asset to the current day SEC.... I think Bobby-Dodd stadium only seats around 35,000 or so.... and most of the state of Georgia outside of Atlanta are Bulldog fans...

Basically, the SEC already has an academic leader with about 30,000 fans in Vanderbilt... I'm not sure what the SEC gains here by adding GT...

Clemson... I could see happening...

Maybe FSU....or even VT...

Virginia Tech has SEC DNA.... large, wild, passionate fanbase....and plays a physical brand of football.... Brings with them the DC area tv markets, etc...

i think FSU leads the way in the discussion about which team will possibly enter the SEC. the SEC is the elite conference in college football - and FSU is the highest profile team outside of the conference in the area. not to mention they have a huge rivalry with a team in the conference. i hate FSU with every fiber of my being but i'd love to have them in the SEC.

VT makes the next most sense for me. clemson and/or GT wouldn't be bad but i'm not sure they've got the clout. another team i was thinking about in all this was USF. they're an up and comer in college football - solid program - and its just weird to me they're in the big east. i know this is a massive long shot - b/c of talk about not having the clout or fan base - but i'd welcome them into the conference.

I wouldn't really have a problem with USF or VT.

I wouldn't mind anyone from the ACC either, but I just read this on a Gator board I frequent:

"I can't confirm this but there are stories out there that UF/UGA/USC/UK have agreed to vote together to block any attempt to extend invitations to FSU, scUM, Clemson, Ga Tech and Louisville. If that is the case, we will never hear about it because the vote will take place behind closed doors and invitations will simply be extended to other schools."

Take that FWIW. I would not be surprised if this were true.

that's weird. why would we want to block FSU from coming over? nothing but good things would come from that IMO. the other ones make sense in a way though - and no way would i want to have to go up against a charlie strong defense every year. its too bad UM doesn't have more of a commitment to football - they'd be another good one to bring in.

I don't know. I wouldn't have any problem with it. But I think it has something to do with being the only school in the state in the SEC. Not just with UF-FSU/UM but with UGA-GT, UK-Louisville, and Clemson-South Carolina too. I know someone can explain this better than I can.

Back
Top Bottom