Pac-10 to be Pac-16 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pac-10 to be Pac-16

if the mountain west stays i'll be impressed. they're second tier as it is - they'll need some bigger dogs than fresno st. to remain realistically relevant among the new super powers. i'm gonna be out of my mind and try to predict how this will end up.

SEC

florida
alabama
georgia
LSU
tennessee
kentucky
south carolina
vandy
mississippi st.
ole miss
auburn
arkansas
UM
FSU
VT
GT
clemson
UNC
USF
west virginia
BC
wake
UVA
NC state
maryland
troy
duke

26 teams

big 23

ohio st
penn st
michigan
michigan st
illinois
indiana
iowa
minnesota
northwestern
wisconsin
purdue
louisville
pitt
cincy
syracuse
uconn
rutgers
nebraska
notre dame
iowa st
mizzou
kansas
kansas st

23 teams

pac 22

USC
oregon
oregon st
cal
stanford
arizona
arizona st
UCLA
washington
washington st
colorado
texas
texas a&m
texas tech
oklahoma
oklahoma st
baylor
fresno st
app st
boise st
utah
hawaii

22 teams

i could very easily be totally insane but i could see monopolies like this happen - i think it's gonna get that bad. everyone else is just an afterthought. i also probably forgot a team or 2 - throw 'em in the pac.

also don't know what to do with army, navy, and air force. do they make the cut?

Last edited by a moderator:
i could also see the ACC merging with the big east so all the basketball schools are together. i just think it's gonna get more cut throat than that - these conferences will be competing for the dollas. if the ACC does merge with the big east - look for the pac 10 and the SEC to be raping each other over who gets that coveted texas market. if the ACC merges with the SEC - i think the SEC will let the big 12 secede into the pac 10 b/c a stranglehold on the entire south is good enough.

i can't get enough of this ****. where are all you college football fans?

i could also see the ACC merging with the big east so all the basketball schools are together. i just think it's gonna get more cut throat than that - these conferences will be competing for the dollas. if the ACC does merge with the big east - look for the pac 10 and the SEC to be raping each other over who gets that coveted texas market. if the ACC merges with the SEC - i think the SEC will let the big 12 secede into the pac 10 b/c a stranglehold on the entire south is good enough.

i can't get enough of this ****. where are all you college football fans?
the acc and big east would have to merge especially after the sec comes and take the pick of the litter. but i think the big east and acc will just fill there ranks with the best teams out of the lower conferences. all speculation of course.

the acc and big east would have to merge especially after the sec comes and take the pick of the litter. but i think the big east and acc will just fill there ranks with the best teams out of the lower conferences. all speculation of course.

'the pick of the litter' comment is what makes or breaks it. if the SEC decides they want control of all of florida - and convince UM and FSU to come over - along with a team like VT - there won't be enough to salvage IMO. those other teams will pretty much be forced to join ranks just in order to survive. i don't think filling the void with the scraps will be enough to compete with the potential SEC and pac goliaths.

it will hinge on how stacked the pac and SEC get. if pac gets the texas market - or if the SEC gets the ACC - i think there will only end up being 3 conferences - which will probably go smoother - b/c teams will just fall in line. but if the ACC merges with the big east - then you've got the SEC and pac fighting over texas - and the big 10 scrambling for many of the scraps - and it will be a war among those guys fighting to be top dog.

jesus, almost 80 percent of division 1 football being in 4 conferences.

jesus, almost 80 percent of division 1 football being in 4 conferences.

i know man ... crazy. that other like 20% would be forced to drop down a division - where they probably should be anyway - and there's no way around a playoff system. it will all work out for the best in the end IMO. but until then - be ready for these conferences to go after each other hard - especially if it ends up being 4.

Guys this is getting bezerk.... you wouldn't believe the stuff that's going on in the wee hours of the morning as we speak...it's a full fledged war....

First, let me get this out of the way so it makes sense..... Officials from both Texas and Texas A&M met yesterday in a closed door meeting to try to figure out what they're going to do... Texas A&M wants to break away from Texas....and it's getting nasty...

"Screw the over 100 year old rivalry"... as one A&M official put it.. A&M want's to stand on it's own and is tired of following around in Texas' shadow.. being the little brother program. They finally nutted up and told Texas to "suck it"...

Why did A&M suddenly get so brave as to tell big brother off finally? Because they're apparently on the verge of receiving an invitation to the SEC..... they wouldn't need Texas anymore... and it would open up the avenue to Texas recruiting and the Texas market to the SEC..

Apparently, two of A&M's Regents want to join the SEC.... with one of them being none other than Gene Stallings himself... who obviously still has major pull and major clout in the SEC....

The SEC wants Texas... but the bottom line is they're afraid to join... Texas wants to rule whatever conference they're in with an iron fist like they always have without splitting the revenue fairly... which is why Nebraska bolted and the Big-12 collapsed in the first place...

Texas wants to go to the Pac-10....A&M doesn't...and is trying to talk Texas into going to the SEC.... but if Texas won't budge... A&M is willing to split and join the SEC without them...

Mack Brown wants to stay in the Big-12.... basically, Texas can't even get their own head coach and University President on the same page with what to do... much less anybody else...

Colorado is gone... they've already accepted an invitation to the Pac-10...

But here's where it gets really interesting.... the SEC commissioner, Mike Slive (the most powerful man in college athletics) wants two of either Texas, Texas A&M, or Oklahoma... looks like Oklahoma and A&M are the strongest candidates right now to join the SEC... as the battle for Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma reaches it's peak between the SEC and the Pac-10....

If he gets A&M and Oklahoma from the west... he'll also likely want to balance that out by plucking UNC and Duke from the east (ACC).... you CANNOT split UNC and Duke for obvious reasons... they are a package deal...period.

FSU and VT would be the other 2 options from the east (ACC).... but according to Slive, Florida and A.D. Jeremy Foley would likely throw up a road block preventing FSU from joining the SEC...

Guys.... tensions are getting very high in the world of college football right now...

i know man ... crazy. that other like 20% would be forced to drop down a division - where they probably should be anyway - and there's no way around a playoff system. it will all work out for the best in the end IMO. but until then - be ready for these conferences to go after each other hard - especially if it ends up being 4.

so your big 3 + (acc/bigeast merge + the best from other conferences) = D1 football.

so your big 3 + (acc/bigeast merge + the best from other conferences) = D1 football.

no my big 3 would be the pac 10/big 12 merge, the SEC/ACC merge, and the big 10/big east merge - for the most part at least - which i think would go smoother. and D1 football ends there. but who knows if it will go as swimmingly as that - way too many factors can fugg all that up - for instance a&m and texas splitting like slimm said might happen.

i just did the 3 b/c its easier that way - and it makes sense. it all ends up with playoffs anyhow - i see no major need for outright war.

no my big 3 would be the pac 10/big 12 merge, the SEC/ACC merge, and the big 10/big east merge - for the most part at least - which i think would go smoother. and D1 football ends there. but who knows if it will go as swimmingly as that - way too many factors can fugg all that up - for instance a&m and texas splitting like slimm said might happen.

i just did the 3 b/c its easier that way - and it makes sense. it all ends up with playoffs anyhow - i see no major need for outright war.
outright war sounds fun.

Sorry if this has been asked already, didn't feel like reading all the responses. But will this help bring a more traditional playoff system to college football?

Anytime you have this much money and this much tradition at stake... it's inevitable... it's not going to be pretty...

The teams that are left in the Big-12 all WANT to keep the conference together... it's their first choice...or they wouldn't be meeting to begin with...it's like a brotherhood... but if so much as one more team decides to bolt.... it's just not going to be possible...

It's hanging on by the smallest thread possible now.... sure they all hate each other.... but they're also smart enough to realize they need each other... it's all or nothing...

If Oklahoma and/or A&M get invites to the SEC.... I just don't think they can turn it down... if one of them bolts the other is going to follow..

Sorry if this has been asked already, didn't feel like reading all the responses. But will this help bring a more traditional playoff system to college football?

its almost already inevitable. but read the thread, its pretty damn good.

It's a point that has been addressed throughout this thread.... but it's only my opinion...

Take a few minutes and read the thread and if you have any questions after that just ask..

It's a point that has been addressed throughout this thread.... but it's only my opinion...

Take a few minutes and read the thread and if you have any questions after that just ask..

so ... am i certifiable with the 3 conferences idea?

Back
Top Bottom