Pac-10 to be Pac-16 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pac-10 to be Pac-16

slimm will be all over this in no time to shed some light on the subject i'm sure ...

The thing about GT is, they left the SEC willingly.... I'm sure there's not a lot of love lost between GT and the SEC... besides the other factors that I've already mentioned...

FSU makes sense... but FSU and Miami have already had an opportunity to join the SEC and didn't want to... they didn't want to have to play the SEC schedules every year... They wanted to join the ACC and thought they would rule that conference in football.... didn't happen.

UM to the SEC isn't happening to begin with.... they're just not SEC material. They have no fan support outside of the southern tip of Florida.... and very little there. Nobody from the SEC wants to travel halfway to Cuba every year to play in an empty stadium. And they don't bring the tv market.... nobody in the Miami area even watches college football on tv. It's a pro sports town... not enough dollars to go around.

The SEC wants Texas.... and that huge Texas market. Similar to the Pac-10, the SEC would probably accept A&M as a package deal to get Texas.

Louisville, UNC, etc.... all these basketball schools are going to be at the bottom of the barrell on the SEC''s grocery list. College football pays the bills.... expansion is about money.... college football=money. College basketball isn't what it was 15 years ago...

Basically, any University that has a "State", "Tech", University of "a pro sports city", a directional school (South Florida, etc.) or anything else in their title isn't prime pickins' for the SEC....

Texas is....VT is because of their DNA, dedicated fanbase, tv market, and culture..... Florida St. is because of the same culture...

Texas, FSU, or VT would be who the SEC is most interested in...

The thing about GT is, they left the SEC willingly.... I'm sure there's not a lot of love lost between GT and the SEC... besides the other factors that I've already mentioned...

FSU makes sense... but FSU and Miami have already had an opportunity to join the SEC and didn't want to... they didn't want to have to play the SEC schedules every year... They wanted to join the ACC and thought they would rule that conference in football.... didn't happen.

UM to the SEC isn't happening to begin with.... they're just not SEC material. They have no fan support outside of the southern tip of Florida.... and very little there. Nobody from the SEC wants to travel halfway to Cuba every year to play in an empty stadium. And they don't bring the tv market.... nobody in the Miami area even watches college football on tv. It's a pro sports town... not enough dollars to go around.

The SEC wants Texas.... and that huge Texas market. Similar to the Pac-10, the SEC would probably accept A&M as a package deal to get Texas.

Louisville, UNC, etc.... all these basketball schools are going to be at the bottom of the barrell on the SEC''s grocery list. College football pays the bills.... expansion is about money.... college football=money. College basketball isn't what it was 15 years ago...

Basically, any University that has a "State", "Tech", University of "a pro sports city", a directional school (South Florida, etc.) or anything else in their title isn't prime pickins' for the SEC....

Texas is....VT is because of their DNA, dedicated fanbase, tv market, and culture..... Florida St. is because of the same culture...

Texas, FSU, or VT would be who the SEC is most interested in...

too bad about UM IMO. they've got the athletes too compete in the SEC - if their recruiting and coaching was what it once was they'd be ideal. damn school is too committed to academics though - which i guess is fine by me since UF has been snagging a lot of those elite south florida recruits.

texas would be great but i know the pac 10 is lobbying hard to get them - and they would easily dominate that conference - as it remains right now at least. plus i'd rather have two elite programs like FSU and VT rather than one elite program and its tag along.

too bad about UM IMO. they've got the athletes too compete in the SEC - if their recruiting and coaching was what it once was they'd be ideal. damn school is too committed to academics though - which i guess is fine by me since UF has been snagging a lot of those elite south florida recruits.

texas would be great but i know the pac 10 is lobbying hard to get them - and they would easily dominate that conference - as it remains right now at least. plus i'd rather have two elite programs like FSU and VT rather than one elite program and its tag along.

Perhaps, but I don't know. Apparently, UM nor FSU felt they could be competitive in the SEC or they would already be in it when they were invited. The SEC would accept UM, but only in a package deal with FSU. It would give the SEC the monopoly on the state of Florida both in terms of recruiting and tv market.

In other words, the SEC would accept FSU without UM, but not vice versa....

If you want to hear what's REALLY ridiculous....

According to a current Big-12 coach (who shall remain nameless for now) the new "mega" Pac-16 wants TWO automatic BCS qualifiers and doesn't want a conference championship game.

"The Pac-10 doesn't believe in a conference championship game," the coach said. "And the coaches in the Big-12 don't like it anyway".

Seriously? :lol: Then what the **** are you playing for then? Obviously just a "participation trophy" and a HUGE tv payout....

In a 16 team "super conference", you could easily have a 3 or 4 way tie for first with no way to determing who the hell the champion is...

It figures that one of these "super conferences" would try to weasel out of actually earning their way to a BCS championship game...apparently they even want to make up their own BCS rules for ****'s sake...

I have NO IDEA why the Big-12 would be against it.... Hell, they've already managed to send a team to the BCS National Championship Game TWICE that didn't even win it's own conference...

Like I said... the SEC wants Texas.... but I don't think Texas wants the SEC. They don't want to open up Texas recruiting the almighty SEC anymore than it already is...

What's amazing is the common theme among all these schools is that none of them believe they could come into the SEC and be competitive. I honestly believe that if all of these schools (with the NCAA's help of course) could come up with a way to make big money without actually keeping score.... they'd do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, going back to COPhinPhans point about Kansas..... the Big-12 "leftovers" like Kansas, Kansas St., etc., are the schools that I feel worst for in all this... they've flat out been left standing at the alter.

But at least Kansas with that powerful basketball program would likely be accepted in the Big East or ACC should some teams defect from either of those conferences to join the new SEC or Big-10.

Scraps like Kansas St., Iowa St., etc. would probably have to end up joining the new "mega" MWC.....

If you want to know the truth behind the demise of the Big-12 conference.... it's because of extremely weak conference leadership. The conference commissioner has dropped the ball numerous times over the course of the past few years that could have saved the conference.

Nebraska's problems with Texas go way back to the inception of the Big-12....Texas fought and won the battle over partial qualifiers..(Nebraska wanted to keep them under old Big-8 rules... Texas didn't.)

Nebraska's annual rivalry game with Oklahoma was dropped for a rotating north/south schedule.

The conference headquarters were moved from Kansas City to Dallas....and they just awarded the Big-12 championship game to the new Dallas Cowboys stadium.... Tom Osborne was the only A.D. to vote against it....imagine that. :lol:

The money split in revenue is predicated on tv and bowl appearances...so in reality... the rich get richer. (Texas and Oklahoma)

The Big-12 tv deal is weak compared to the SEC/Big-10 tv deals.

Bottom line is neither Texas nor Oklahoma wanted this to happen... but in their minds Nebraska was the key.

Missouri could be replaced if they were to defect to the Big-10...but with Nebraska out of the north now Texas and Oklahoma feel like they have to make a move.

What exactly do I mean by the rich get richer? Bringing the 3 big Texas tv markets along with the Denver market to the existing Pac-10 markets basically ties up the entire west. The new Pac-16 "super conference" would have 2 or the 3 motherlodes of recruiting (California and Texas) in it's backyard... and like I said... I don't think Texas wants to open up it's riches in recruiting to the SEC anymore than it already is.

Colorado has always wanted to be in the Pac-10 because they're a cultural fit. But I believe they were one of the teams that had been shot down in the past from the Stanford's and Cal's, etc... from joining the Pac-10 20 years ago for academic reasons. But all that academic talk is just that now....talk. A Pac-16 realignment will demand a tv contract that rivals that of the SEC/Big-10... or perhaps even more. It's all about money.... and college football is what pays the bills.

As I mentioned... this is really a somber time for college football purists like myself....but as they say... when one door closes another one opens..

..and that new door is going to lead directly to a college football playoff once these 80 or so teams that make up these 5 "super conferences" break completely off from these bleeding heart liberals known as the NCAA and form their own sanctioning bodies (made up of the conference commissioners) and the demise of the BCS.

i'm all about the demise of the BCS myself. deserving teams get shafted basically every year. now that this is pretty much a lock to happen, i wonder who the SEC will end up with. i don't see us getting texas. i'd love FSU and VT - but i haven't read a word about VT even being in the discussion - and like you said - FSU already turned us down years back. hmmmm. should be interesting.

Hey guys..a little scuttlebutt I've been hearing from my dad's cronies up at the Capstone,
and think about it a little before rushing to judgement...but don't be surprised if
West Virgina gets a invite to the SEC.

i'll take west virginia. absolutely.

another thing i've been wondering about in all of this - what happens to notre dame now? i assume they'll be forced to join one of the upcoming mega conferences - i wonder which conference will end up with that giant revenue chunk.

hell i'd envelop the entire ACC if that's what it takes. and west virginia, USF, notre dame, etc ... who knows how big these conferences are gonna end up - or basically - how intense of a pissing contest this will eventually be. adding monsters like texas and oklahoma will immediately put the pac whatever right up there with the SEC. the SEC will do whatever it takes to remain the elite conference in college football.

Hey guys..a little scuttlebutt I've been hearing from my dad's cronies up at the Capstone,
and think about it a little before rushing to judgement...but don't be surprised if
West Virgina gets a invite to the SEC.

Absolutely... I think your dad's cronies may understand what this is all about...

This goes back to my point about schools with State, Tech, University of "pro sports city", directional schools, etc... being at the bottom of the barrell on the SEC's grocery list.

Never turn down a University of (enter state here)..... there's only 50 of them... really not even that many because Alaska, Vermonts, Rhode Islands, New York, etc. etc... doesn't even count.

They bring a huge market and a huge following all to themselves. .. and West Virginia also opens up that DC/Baltimore.... perhaps even New York area tv market.

This is going to be a huge pissing contest Bob...these mega conferences are about to start shooting at each other from all angles.... it's going to get uglier before it gets prettier....

I wouldn't be surprised to see congress try to get involved at some point... there's simply way too much money involved and they aren't going to be left out while a bunch of millionaires get richer....

Besides, state legislature prevents a lot of these in-state schools from being seperated.... should two of these "super conferences" go to war over two schools in the same state/conference...

Very, very interesting...

nice post as always, slimm. this is gonna get real ugly real fast. there will be a frenzy to absorb some of those big name stragglers that have no choice but to pick a poison. notre dame really, really intrigues me in all of this. i think these conferences are gonna be falling all over themselves to get the irish to join - i mean - who wouldn't? they don't really pose that much of a threat competitively and talk about cashing in.

the big 12, big east, and mountain west are all but done for. the ACC might be as well to be honest. so these new monsters are gonna be the big 10, the pac 10, and the SEC? the ACC has a chance to join this group but they'll have to get creative fast - while competing with the SEC if they don't get absorbed. and everyone else is just more irrelevant i suppose? wow this is gonna get messy.

Rumors are flying of the SEC extending invitations to VaTech and Texas A&M.

nice post as always, slimm. this is gonna get real ugly real fast. there will be a frenzy to absorb some of those big name stragglers that have no choice but to pick a poison. notre dame really, really intrigues me in all of this. i think these conferences are gonna be falling all over themselves to get the irish to join - i mean - who wouldn't? they don't really pose that much of a threat competitively and talk about cashing in.

the big 12, big east, and mountain west are all but done for. the ACC might be as well to be honest. so these new monsters are gonna be the big 10, the pac 10, and the SEC? the ACC has a chance to join this group but they'll have to get creative fast - while competing with the SEC if they don't get absorbed. and everyone else is just more irrelevant i suppose? wow this is gonna get messy.

Notre Dame would obviously be a huge catch for the Big-10... Notre Dame football has always been it's own brand...but they belong in the Big-10 anyway...

Actually I think the MWC is going to be the other "super conference", with the addition of all the Big-12 leftovers and a few additions (possibly Boise St., Fresno St., etc.)... at least in terms of being an automatic qualifier for the BCS until the powers that be decide what to do with it...

It seems like the ACC and Big East teams that are left over by the potential raid by the SEC/Big-10, are going to have to merge...and try to add some of the better schools from C-USA, MAC, etc..... just in order to stay somewhat relevant as a football conference...

The Big-12 is done once Texas and Oklahoma defect to the Pac-10... and take several siblings with them...history... Actually it was done the instant Nebraska left....

The Big East and ACC are probably done as we know them....once the 2 eastern "super conferences" start plucking the good fruit. They'll have to merge and expand to stay relevant....and come up with a new name for a conference...."Big ACC"... "Eastern Atlantic Conference", etc... who knows....

It's basically going to be about 80 teams in 4 or 5 super conferences.... the rest turn into virtually D-1AA programs.....where a lot of them belong anyway....

But it's always been the NCAA's goal to stick up for the little guy.... I was just listening yesterday to the NCAA talk about how they want to help the little D-1 schools APR scores, scholarship limits, etc.)...but they seem to forget who's paying the bills...

Reguardless of logic or revenue... the NCAA would stick San Jose St. in a playoff just as fast as they would Texas, Alabama, Florida, or Ohio St....

However, I can guarantee that the new "mega" Pac-10, SEC, Big-10, MWC, etc.... won't go along with a playoff that pits their champion against whatever crap the WAC or MAC or whatever spits out... nor will the conference commissioners allow one of these teams to get an automatic bid should the BCS stay in tact for a little while longer....

This is the battle within the battle..... the conference commissioners vs. the NCAA....

Back
Top Bottom