Pac-10 to be Pac-16 | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pac-10 to be Pac-16

so ... am i certifiable with the 3 conferences idea?

Insane? Yes...:lol:

There will be at LEAST 4 "super conferences".... most likely 5... the definition of a "super conference" should actually mean that the conference is an automatic qualifier for a BCS game/money under the current structure, first and foremost..

Secondly, a "super conference" is a conference that has expanded by adding teams... the MWC surely qualifies as a "super conference" if they take in the Big-12 scraps (Iowa St., Kansas, Kansas St., etc.) and also add a Boise St., Fresno St., etc...

You're already looking at a much stronger MWC, especially with the existing Utah, BYU, TCU, etc...

If ND joins the Big-10, there are no more independents that are BCS eligible.... that bid has to go to somebody...

If the SEC or Big-10 plucks any of the top teams from the Big East or ACC..... or both...

..they would have to merge what's left just in order to survive as a conference....and then expand themselves if they want to remain in the BCS loop and get their hands on BCS money....

So basically you'll have the "mega" SEC, Pac-10, Big-10, MWC, and ACC/Big East merger as "super conferences"...

Did that make any sense whatsoever? :crazy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Insane? Yes...:lol:

There will be at LEAST 4 "super conferences".... most likely 5... the definition of a "super conference" should actually mean that the conference is an automatic qualifier for a BCS game/money under the current structure, first and foremost..

Secondly, a "super conference" is a conference that has expanded by adding teams... the MWC surely qualifies as a "super conference" if they take in the Big-12 scraps (Iowa St., Kansas, Kansas St., etc.) and also add a Boise St., Fresno St., etc...

You're already looking at a much stronger MWC, especially with the existing Utah, BYU, etc...

If ND joins the Big-10, there are no more independents that are BCS eligible.... that bid has to go to somebody...

If the SEC or Big-10 plucks any of the top teams from the Big East or ACC..... or both...

..they would have to merge what's left just in order to survive as a conference....and then expand themselves if they want to remain in the BCS loop and get their hands on BCS money....

So basically you'll have the "mega" SEC, Pac-10, Big-10, MWC, and ACC/Big East merger as "super conferences"...

Did that make any sense whatsoever? :crazy:

i just wrote this long response and read it back ... and i could hardly make sense of my own logic. it just seems like the least complicated way to figure all this out - and i assumed the BCS was already finito.

with 4 conferences that mountain west will be pretty sad. with 5 really sad. i've tried to put it together with 4 or 5 and can't even begin to sort it out. oiy.

i just wrote this long response and read it back ... and i could hardly make sense of my own logic. it just seems like the least complicated way to figure all this out - and i assumed the BCS was already finito.

with 4 conferences that mountain west will be pretty sad. with 5 really sad. i've tried to put it together with 4 or 5 and can't even begin to sort it out. oiy.

The "mega" MWC would be pretty sad compared to the "mega" SEC, Pac-10, Big-10, etc..... but it would certainly be better than it is now... and it already gets an at large BCS bid...

So the options would be to either take their at large bid away... or strengthen the conference...

At the very least, if a Boise, Utah, TCU, BYU, etc... were to go undefeated in the new "mega" conference, they would certainly have more of an arguement for being in the national title discussion than they do now...

The other thing to keep in mind is the last resort...

Which is that the Big-12 stays in tact..... Oklahoma and Texas don't WANT to split... they have too much history together...

If all the main Big-12 players in this (Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma) can all agree to stick together.... they can keep the Big-12 alive..

...unless Missouri bolts for the Big-10 also...but they won't do it unless Texas and Oklahoma bolt for the Pac-10...

Texas and Oklahoma are in control here.... whatever they decide is what the rest are going to do.... the fate of the conference is in their hands... all they have to do is take in a few teams to replace Nebraska... because one can't do it....

Maybe take in a TCU, Utah, Air Force, etc....

This is basically one giant domino effect....whatever Texas and Oklahoma decides has everything to do with where the rest fall after that...

If Texas and Oklahoma go to the Pac-10..... the SEC will expand.... if not... the SEC will likely stay as it is...

If Notre Dame joins the Big-10.... it may factor into Texas and Oklahoma's decision to join the Pac-10.... and vice versa...

Somebody has to make a decision here eventually... and it boils down to Texas, Oklahoma, A&M, and Notre Dame...

One move by any of them is going to set off the domino effect..... and the SEC will react accordingly...

soooo, just thinking, with 4 conferences, you have a 12 team playoff, conference winners get byes, with essentially 4 wild card games, elite 8, final 4 and the championship.

According to some reports, people are expecting Nebraska to make the jump to the Big 10 by the end of the week. By the way, if you're going to expand the PAC 10 into the PAC 16, then at the very least it should make sense geographically. Utah, Colorado, Hawaii, San Diego State, Fresno State, and BYU would make a lot more sense than adding the Big 12 teams.

At least I got one team right. LOL. So, with the Big 12 staying intact, who's the 12th team in the Pac 10? Perhaps, Utah?

At least I got one team right. LOL. So, with the Big 12 staying intact, who's the 12th team in the Pac 10? Perhaps, Utah?

Now that its offical. You are correct twice.

I am beyond excited to have the U (my alma mater) be #12 in the new Pac.

Hindsight being 20/20... I thought Texas & their lackies joining the PAC was a bad idea.

So glad A & M grew a pair and that greed exists in Austin.

Good for Utah. They've earned it. Although BSU probably feels a little slighted right about now.

HOF's got to be blowing a fuse. BYU's a ****ty school though, I think they have like one graduate program, while UU has more than a few.

Pac-10 made a good choice with the two schools, though I think they could have added Hawaii instead of one of the two they picked and still would have been pretty well off.

shuldah teekn wyoming!...lol...thynd been gettn a hole stete...lol...nawt jus a sity...lol

Back
Top Bottom