Paradigm Shift for Miami | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Paradigm Shift for Miami

6 of the 14 QBs drafted in the top 10 overall since 2004 are playing at Tannehill's level or higher. Less than 50%.

Even when you're drafting in the top-10 overall, finding one of the league's best QBs is difficult.

This is why this team's offseason strategy this year should be signing Kirk Cousins and trading Tannehill for picks in my opinion. One of the league's top QBs stands to hit the free agent market this year. That happens very infrequently.
Why do you think Washington hasn't committed to Kirk Cousins?

Besides we tried JJ and The Fat Tuna, what did that get us? 2.5 yds and a cloud of astroturf.

The problem was that they put so much emphasis on the trenches, the running game, and the defense, but they treated the QB position as an afterthought.

Why do you think Washington hasn't committed to Kirk Cousins?

No telling, but it isn't an intelligent move on their part. Cousins is working on his second season in a row with a YPA above 8, and his second of the last three with a passer rating over 100, both of which give a team a tremendous chance of being highly competitive.

Actually it IS luck. Not COMPLETE luck, but luck nonetheless. Look at it this way. If any person is a good judge of talent, AND if there is no luck, they will 'hit' on top players with EVERY pick. They don't. Certainly, there are evaluators who are better than others just as there are stock pickers better than others, but denying luck is denying reality. And, like gambling, some evaluators get a hot hand. Luck comes in clusters. Again, not claiming there is NO skill and not denying some are better than others, but, given no evaluator 'hits' on a R1 pick every year and most R1 picks are busts (fans seem to think those picks should be 1st year HOF or 'busts'), it's clear skill only goes so far. Not saying Baum is a top evaluator (I'm not his fan), but never fall for those turning the world as black and white. In fact, anyone denying, for example, Baum has NO postives or Tannehill has no flaws, should be ignored as baffons.

I disagree, since that O'Line in the 90's the Fins have not had an Oline, that is not 'bad luck", it is incompetence. Compare Kiko to Zach, really? The Brady pickup by B.B., pure luck, no. Now the fact that Brady and Belichick ended up on the same team, yes a very favorable random circumstance, and I would dare say to plan ahead for that particular outcome, not very likely. However, exceptional things generally happen to exceptional people, how many draft busts has BB had in the past 10 years, where none of the picks panned out? Even the A. Hernandez pick looked like a master stroke, until the CTE fully presented. So the right place the right time with the right idea, for me is not a random gamble.

The Ever Calculating The Probabilities VIPER

I disagree, since that O'Line in the 90's the Fins have not had an Oline, that is not 'bad luck", it is incompetence. Compare Kiko to Zach, really? The Brady pickup by B.B., pure luck, no. Now the fact that Brady and Belichick ended up on the same team, yes a very favorable random circumstance, and I would dare say to plan ahead for that particular outcome, not very likely. However, exceptional things generally happen to exceptional people, how many draft busts has BB had in the past 10 years, where none of the picks panned out? Even the A. Hernandez pick looked like a master stroke, until the CTE fully presented. So the right place the right time with the right idea, for me is not a random gamble.
The Ever Calculating The Probabilities VIPER

Actually, we probably agree. Yes,there is evaluation talent and lack thereof. Within that is the luck of individual picks. Brady was luck. Once more, 'perfect' evaluators would hit on EVERY R1 pick. NO one can do that. Yes, it seems the more talented people seem luckier, but luck is still ther.

Any time you injure ligaments and tendons it creates scar tissue which makes the area less elastic and more susceptible to future injury. If he comes back there is no guarantee he will either play to his pre-injury level, or that he will be able to avoid missing a significant number of snaps due to future injury.

If I am Gase I am not banking my coaching career on the possibility that one guy comes back and plays at a high level without having an insurance policy waiting in the wings.

We have seen how Gase's offense works without very good QB play, even with a healthy Tannehill early last year it was ugly.

If Gase knowingly goes into next season without highly skilled depth at the QB position he is tying his own noose. There will be no excuses if Tannehill misses extended time and he could have taken a top flight QB but passed over him for some other position.
ANYTIME you have the chance to draft a "top flight QB" you take him.

The problem was that they put so much emphasis on the trenches, the running game, and the defense, but they treated the QB position as an afterthought.
They still didn't win anything.... neither one?

Back
Top Bottom