Parcells previous drafts and upcoming year | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Parcells previous drafts and upcoming year

Maybe that talent is overrated? Parcells won ZERO playoff games w/ that talent so he had a chance and HE walked away in 2007- he wasn't fired. If he thought he was winning a SB w/ that talent there is no way he leaves.
That talent was still very young. And you don't know his situation. He probably felt he couldn't run the team the way he wanted anymore because Jerry Jones likes to stick his nose in every aspect of the team. Of course it's all hearsay, but you can't blame a guy for a team he no longer has control over. That's just retarded. I do believe Wade phillips is a moron and is wasting the talent on that team.

And their talent is overrated? Please list all players parcells help bring in that is overrated.

In fairness to Parcells, they didn't have first round picks in two of those seasons. One of those was given to NE for Parcellls compensation and the other was traded for Curtis Martin, which I think most Jet fans would agree was a good move.

He still managed to bring in James Farrior, Jason Ferguson, Randy Thomas, Leon Johnson and Jason Fabini during those years and they all turned out to be productive players for many years and some of them are still playing today.

I know you also like to point out those Dallas teams have only won one playoff game, but a better coach then Wade Phillips would be doing more with a talented bunch.

So is A.J. Smith in San Diego overrated as well because the Chargers have all that talent, yet continue to lose playoff games?

You don't need to have 1st rd picks to have good drafts. He inheirted the #1 pick overall in the draft.

Farrior is a good player but we traded down from the #1 overall pick. Farrior had one good year for us in 5 years then became really good in Pitt but he was never worth orlando Pace.

We lucked into ferguson, he failed a drug test and dropped to the 7th or we never get him.

Randy thomas was really good.

Leon ws good before the injuries.

Fabini was a solid tackle.

But look at the rest of his drafts:

1997:

1997 1 1 8 8 James Farrior LB Virginia
2 2 1 31 Rick Terry DT North Carolina
3 3 28 88 Dedric Ward WR Northern Iowa
4 4 6 102 Terry Day DE Mississippi State
5 4 8 104 Leon Johnson RB North Carolina
6 5 1 131 Lamont Burns G East Carolina
7 5 15 145 Raymond Austin DB Tennessee
8 6 1 164 Tim Scharf LB Northwestern
9 6 28 191 Chuck Clements QB Houston
10 7 1 202 Steve Rosga DB Colorado
11 7 28 229 Jason Ferguson DT Georgia

Rick terry was our 2nd rd pick and only played 1 year for us and 3 years in the NFL

Terry day played 1 year in the NFL

Lamont Burns 1 year in the NFL

Raymond Auston, 1 year for us, 3 years in the NFL

Tim Scharf never played a down in the NFL

Chuck Clements was w/ us for one year

Steve Rosga never played a down in the NFL

Of our 11 draft picks7 of them were out of the NFL w/in 3 years.

1998:

1998 1 2 26 56 Dorian Boose DT Washington State
2 3 6 67 Scott Frost DB Nebraska
3 3 26 87 Kevin Williams DB Oklahoma State
4 4 19 111 Jason Fabini T Cincinnati
5 5 11 134 Casey Dailey LB Northwestern
6 5 18 141 Doug Karczewski T Virginia
7 5 23 146 Blake Spence TE Oregon
8 5 26 149 Eric Bateman T Brigham Young
9 6 10 163 Eric Ogbogu DT Maryland
10 6 21 174 Chris Brazzell WR Angelo State
11 6 30 183 Dustin Johnson RB Brigham Young
12 7 6 195 Lawrence Hart TE Southern

Boose was our 1st pick of thhat draft(rd 2), never started a game for us. Played 4 years in the NFL

Frost started 1 game for us in 3 years

Kevin williams played 4 years in the NFL

Casey dailey played 1 year

Doug Karczewski never played a down

Blake Spence had 4 recs in 3 years in the NFL

Eric Bateman never played a down

Ogbogu started 4 games(w/ dallas0 in his 7 yr career)

Chris Brazzell never played a down for us, lasted 2 years in the NFL

Dustin Johnson never played a down for us, played 1 year in the NFL

Same for lawrence Hart

12 picks in 1998 and 9 of the picks were out of the league w/in 4 years.

1999:

1999 1 2 26 57 Randy Thomas G Mississippi State
2 3 29 90 David Loverne G San Jose State
3 4 28 123 Jason Wiltz DT Nebraska
4 5 29 162 Jermaine Jones DB Northwestern State (LA)
5 6 14 183 Marc Megna LB Richmond
6 6 28 197 J.P. Machado G Illinois
7 7 17 223 Ryan Young T Kansas State
8 7 29 235 J.J. Syvrud DE Jamestown

Loverne played 2 years for us, never started a game.

Wiltz started 2 games in his 2 year NFL career

Jones played 1 year for us and 2 in the NFL

Megna never played a down for us, his NFL career lasted one season.

Syvrud lasted one year in the NFL

We had 8 picks, 5 of them were out of the league w/in 2 years.

as for Dallas, they had a much better cpach than Wade and he couldn't win a playoff game- his name was Bill parcells.

SD in the last 3 postseasons has been in the div rd twice and in the title game once. That's a little different than Dallas. They have 3 postseason wins the last 3 years compared to one for Dallas since 1997.

get a life already

Stop acting like a child, either participate in the discussion or move along.

That talent was still very young. And you don't know his situation. He probably felt he couldn't run the team the way he wanted anymore because Jerry Jones likes to stick his nose in every aspect of the team. Of course it's all hearsay, but you can't blame a guy for a team he no longer has control over. That's just retarded. I do believe Wade phillips is a moron and is wasting the talent on that team.

And their talent is overrated? Please list all players parcells help bring in that is overrated.

When a team has one playoff win since 2003 when BP took over, how great can the talent really be?

When a team has one playoff win since 2003 when BP took over, how great can the talent really be?
There have been tons of teams in all sports that had great talent, but could never win anything meaningful. It's not really easy to explain, but it doesn't mean there isn't really good talent on the team. Ball just doesn't bounce the right way sometimes. Ask Romo about that. lol That's not parcells fault.

Everyone misses..

You can not hit on all your picks.

So far I am very happy with the staff and moves we have made..

We have had some free agent busts and some hits..

You win some you lose some...

you are gonna jump on every Tuna thread on a dolphins board for the rest of your life?

take a look in the mirror

The thing that Parcells has done for every orginazation that he has been apart of is turn them around..

He turned around the Giants. The Pats , the Cowboys and the Phins...

The guy is a great football guy.

Were lucky to have him and so were the Jets...

I do agree his drafts were not great while he was the coach of the Jets but that one draft that he was def apart of in 2000 was sick....

I cant really comment on the other players I honestly was not following football in depth and can not comment on the Pre 2000 draft..So I will take your word for those drafts being bad

You don't need to have 1st rd picks to have good drafts. He inheirted the #1 pick overall in the draft.

Farrior is a good player but we traded down from the #1 overall pick. Farrior had one good year for us in 5 years then became really good in Pitt but he was never worth orlando Pace.

as for Dallas, they had a much better cpach than Wade and he couldn't win a playoff game- his name was Bill parcells.

SD in the last 3 postseasons has been in the div rd twice and in the title game once. That's a little different than Dallas. They have 3 postseason wins the last 3 years compared to one for Dallas since 1997.

I think that your argument is not valid. Everyone misses on 4th-7th round players more often than not. The good thing a good drafter does is to select players that change the game. If you get one per year you are considered a Guru, the rest of the draftees will help to elevate the performance of the team. J. Johnson was such a good drafter because he hit on Surtain, Madison, Thomas and Taylor, and that was enough for us to be contending with a joke of a coach (Wandstet) after he left. All of them were special, but the majority of players drafted were solid at best. By the way none of them were 1st rounders, and he left without landing a single "special" offensive player. Still, I believe that the defense he was able to build under his regime was close to outstanding, and after he left the only special players he had, were the ones he drafted on D.

That being said, what I like of BP so far is that on his first draft he ignored Beck and drafted a QB (Henne), and if Henne, Langford, Davis and Long are the special players they are showing they can turn in, that’s all it will take to consider Ireland/Parcells regime successful (so far).

We lucked into ferguson, he failed a drug test and dropped to the 7th or we never get him.

Randy thomas was really good.

Leon ws good before the injuries.

Fabini was a solid tackle.

But look at the rest of his drafts:

1997:

1997 1 1 8 8 James Farrior LB Virginia
2 2 1 31 Rick Terry DT North Carolina
3 3 28 88 Dedric Ward WR Northern Iowa
4 4 6 102 Terry Day DE Mississippi State
5 4 8 104 Leon Johnson RB North Carolina
6 5 1 131 Lamont Burns G East Carolina
7 5 15 145 Raymond Austin DB Tennessee
8 6 1 164 Tim Scharf LB Northwestern
9 6 28 191 Chuck Clements QB Houston
10 7 1 202 Steve Rosga DB Colorado
11 7 28 229 Jason Ferguson DT Georgia

Rick terry was our 2nd rd pick and only played 1 year for us and 3 years in the NFL

Terry day played 1 year in the NFL

Lamont Burns 1 year in the NFL

Raymond Auston, 1 year for us, 3 years in the NFL

Tim Scharf never played a down in the NFL

Chuck Clements was w/ us for one year

Steve Rosga never played a down in the NFL

Of our 11 draft picks7 of them were out of the NFL w/in 3 years.

1998:

1998 1 2 26 56 Dorian Boose DT Washington State
2 3 6 67 Scott Frost DB Nebraska
3 3 26 87 Kevin Williams DB Oklahoma State
4 4 19 111 Jason Fabini T Cincinnati
5 5 11 134 Casey Dailey LB Northwestern
6 5 18 141 Doug Karczewski T Virginia
7 5 23 146 Blake Spence TE Oregon
8 5 26 149 Eric Bateman T Brigham Young
9 6 10 163 Eric Ogbogu DT Maryland
10 6 21 174 Chris Brazzell WR Angelo State
11 6 30 183 Dustin Johnson RB Brigham Young
12 7 6 195 Lawrence Hart TE Southern

Boose was our 1st pick of thhat draft(rd 2), never started a game for us. Played 4 years in the NFL

Frost started 1 game for us in 3 years

Kevin williams played 4 years in the NFL

Casey dailey played 1 year

Doug Karczewski never played a down

Blake Spence had 4 recs in 3 years in the NFL

Eric Bateman never played a down

Ogbogu started 4 games(w/ dallas0 in his 7 yr career)

Chris Brazzell never played a down for us, lasted 2 years in the NFL

Dustin Johnson never played a down for us, played 1 year in the NFL

Same for lawrence Hart

12 picks in 1998 and 9 of the picks were out of the league w/in 4 years.

1999:

1999 1 2 26 57 Randy Thomas G Mississippi State
2 3 29 90 David Loverne G San Jose State
3 4 28 123 Jason Wiltz DT Nebraska
4 5 29 162 Jermaine Jones DB Northwestern State (LA)
5 6 14 183 Marc Megna LB Richmond
6 6 28 197 J.P. Machado G Illinois
7 7 17 223 Ryan Young T Kansas State
8 7 29 235 J.J. Syvrud DE Jamestown

Loverne played 2 years for us, never started a game.

Wiltz started 2 games in his 2 year NFL career

Jones played 1 year for us and 2 in the NFL

Megna never played a down for us, his NFL career lasted one season.

Syvrud lasted one year in the NFL

We had 8 picks, 5 of them were out of the league w/in 2 years.

The bottom line is this. Parcells inheritied a 1-15 football team and had them in the AFC championship game in two years. Through a combination of trades (Martin), free agents (Testaverde) and drafting, he built a team that when he stepped down in 2000, made the playoffs three of the next five years.

Regardless of what you think of him or his track record, you can't argue that the culture of the Jets franchise changed when he took over.

Same thing in Dallas. They were a wreck in 2002 under Campos and Parcells immediately changed that. That roster was nearly as bad as the Dolphins roster in 2007 and he had to spend the next four years changing it.
No, they didn't win any playoff games under Parcells, but he also stepped down from coaching before many of those players (Ware, Romo, Austin, etc.) were beginning to hit their primes.

Is he perfect? Of course not, but what GM is. All that said, I'm glad he's been in Miami the past two years because we actually have hope. Something I didn't think was possible after a 1-15 year.

he brought alot of talent to the cowboys as I pointed out and all you talk about is the Jets

isn't there a jetswhiner.com you can go to?

Don't you know junky.........
I am here to educate, especially posters like you who barely know if a football is pumped w/ air or stuffed w/ feathers. You are here for some comedy(although those photoshops get boring after a while). I am here to talk football. You can choose to pay attention and learn or attack me, you choose to attack and you don't acquire more knowledge. Too bad for you.

A true legend in his own mind.

Absolutely, I'm sure he was invovled but groh made those picks. BP got us a 1st rd pick for Belichick as he was the one who negotiated w/ Kraft. I think it's safe to say that didn't work out so well.

I love that BP turned us from laughing stock into one of the better AFC franchises but he did that more w/ coaching than personnel moves.

-He cost us peyton manning by not telling them he'd take him if were to come out in 1997.

-he turned the #1 poick in the '97 draft(Orlando Pace) into james farrior and a bunch of other guys who were off the Jets w/in a few years.

-He cost us belichick

-He walked out w/o completing the job.

How did he cost the Jets Belicheck, he was hired and resigned
Al Groh who you credit for better drafting than Parcells alos "walked out" on the jets...you should have more resentment towards Groh than Parcells since he is in your opinion a better talent evaluator.

Funny thing to me is Parcells,Belicheck & Groh in succession quit on the Jets.

You cant really credit any Dallas drafts to BP, as we all know Jerry Jones had final say. Im sure BP had a lot to do with it, but it wasnt his call.

You cant really credit any Dallas drafts to BP, as we all know Jerry Jones had final say. Im sure BP had a lot to do with it, but it wasnt his call.

so Jerry Jones knew all about UDFA Austin Miles and all the day 2 picks?

it may have been Ireland but it sure as hell wasn't JJ

The problem to me is the Cowboys try to be like the Yankees of the NFL[as do the Redskins]. The problem is that doesn't work in the NFL. [who knows- it might this season with no CBA, but there are rules that will affect the Cowboys since they made the final 8.]

In Miami Parcells doesn't butt heads with people. It's more of a collaboration with Ireland and Sparano. I'm fine with the Parcells drafts with the Dolphins so far. The only thing I really dont like was Pat White in the 2nd round. They nailed it with Sean Smith and Vontae Davis and Brian Hartline already though. And Jake Long, Henne, Merling, Langford, Hilliard in 2008. I'd give our "Parcells Drafts" a B-. This obviously will go up[or down] depending on Henne, Hartline, Smith, Davis especially improving on the 2009 season. Of course the others as well, but those 4 are the biggest.

Back
Top Bottom