Pass Rusher in the 1st round......is it the best option? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pass Rusher in the 1st round......is it the best option?

IF WE COULDN'T TRADE DOWN, I know Kerrigan would be a solid pick but I'd really rather go offense - either Mark Ingram or Leonard Hankersom or Mikel Leshoure.
If Kerrigan and Ingram are both on the board and Miami can't trade down, I also would take Ingram. He's not flashy, but he's an awfully talented back. Could do a lot worse and I think he's pretty close to a sure thing.

Like Seattle?

Lets hope Philly gets anxious and really wants Solder or Sherrod. Reid & Co have been known to move up i.e. Graham last yr. The phins could then acquire Kendricks from Wisconsin & a 2nd round pick.

Agreed, but, Mayock hit the nail on the head when he said Kerrigan is a 4-3 LDE. If Edwards leaves in FA Minny could grap him.

If Miller is gone, Ayres (UCLA) should still be on the board.
I think Ayres is an overrated prospect. In my view, he just seems to coast sometimes.

love von miller...love him...he displayed things yesterday in that game that took his already top 20 grade likely into the top 10 imo...he's a top 20 pass rush talent alone...you add in those hips and that cod and fluidity in space and wow...kids awfully impressive...gonna light the lb drills on fire at the combine

if he's not on the menu i'd use a late round pick on brooks reed who has some things in his arsenal to work with...

ayers is overrated...he looks really fluid and good in space but he's not half the edge pass rusher that von miller is imo...

as for kerrigan i think he's a 4-3 end all the way...and i'm a fan

Stay away from Ayers... Ayers will be a total bust.. I can spot busts at LB a mile away.

People thought I was nuts when I laid out all the reasons why Gholston would be a total bust before the 2008 draft, and I said it with total and unquivocal conviction that he would not only be a bust, but a TOTAL bust (there's a big difference). LAst year my bust special was Sergio Kindle and wrote 100 posts on it just like I did Gholston. Kindle had an uncommon injury but rest assured he's a worthless football player in the pro's as a OLB in the 3-4 if he played.

I hated Aaron Maybin and look at him, they're talking about cutting him after being a 1st rounder just 2 years ago..and there's many more lb's I've called out who'd bust and did.. I never miss.,

I was the top Cam Wake supporter on this board after the signing ( knew him well).. arguing incessantly with people here who said he'd be lucky to see backup duty in the NFL, and were trying to tell me I was crazy because they were saying how a CFL defensive player never made a real impact in the NFL, and yadda yadda yadda... while I was saying how Wake will be an elite pass rusher in this league.. DLockz and I went back and forth for 2 months arguing about it.

I said he can make the pro bowl in this league before he ever suited up for a single practice with the Dolphins, .. and lookit, he played in it today.

Stay 1000 miles away from Ayers. The bust OLB special of 2011.

Miller would be a solid pick for this team because with him this would be a real good LB core. I am hoping that he would be at our pick.

what's the general consensus on clemson's jarvis jenkins. this dude seems like a wrecking ball on and off the field. where do you project he'll go?

what's the general consensus on clemson's jarvis jenkins. this dude seems like a wrecking ball on and off the field. where do you project he'll go?

jarvis jenkins flashed some things at the senior bowl for me...not sure he's a nose tackle at the next level though...maybe more 4-3 dt

he's got some potential no doubt

love von miller...love him...he displayed things yesterday in that game that took his already top 20 grade likely into the top 10 imo...he's a top 20 pass rush talent alone...you add in those hips and that cod and fluidity in space and wow...kids awfully impressive...gonna light the lb drills on fire at the combine

if he's not on the menu i'd use a late round pick on brooks reed who has some things in his arsenal to work with...

ayers is overrated...he looks really fluid and good in space but he's not half the edge pass rusher that von miller is imo...

as for kerrigan i think he's a 4-3 end all the way...and i'm a fan

Personally, I don't see Brooks Reed getting out of the 2nd or 3rd round. I heard nothing but positives about his motor, work ethic and ability to stand up at the Senior Bowl. He'll shine at the Combine as well. Not as fast or fluid as Von, but damn impressive in his own right.

Kind of what I'm hoping for. You're not going find great pass rushers in free agency because that position is so valuable..., but you will find a boatload of WR's, plenty of RB's, and a good amount of offensive linemen in free agency for our offense.

By bringing in another fierce pass rusher opposite Wake and moving Misi to ILB next to Dansby... essentially you're upgrading 2 positions with one move. Nothing would improve our defense more than adding another really good pass rusher. Good pass rushers are worth their weight in gold and we definitely need more of them.

A linebacking corps consisting of:

Wake-Misi-Dansby-Quinn

or

Miller-Misi-Dansby-Wake

would be fine by me.

* Edds is strictly a coverage guy as he cannot blitz at all or play downhill as he's too weak and gets brushed off by OLinemen.

Both of your ILB's are excellent coverage ILB's (what a huge difference from 2 years ago with Crowder and Ayodele).. and both your ILB's can blitz and be a threat for offensive lines to worry about and prepare for -- opening up the outside backers even more. (notice that the Jets get a lot of their pressure from their interior LB's Scott and Harris and play alot of mindgames with O-lines that way - but the Dolphins will have much better OLB's to compliment them)

you can also play a lot of mind games on opposing O-lines by faking a Misi blitz and shooting a safety through with a D-line twist or stunt.. Or, fake a safety blitz and have O-lines struggling to figure out which of Dansby or Misi will come in on the blitz ( having such versatility in your front 7 lineup puts offensive lines on their heels).. and you don't lose anything in coverage with Misi as he's better than Crowder in coverage when Misi retreats after showing blitz.. Crowder doesn't strike fear into any O-line as far as blitzing so they don't come into games preparing for him at all.. Misi is a smart hardworking guy so I think he can handle the transition better than most.

This would drive offensive lines and QB's absolutely crazy as all 4 guys can get to the QB.. I think Misi could do better blitzing from the inside as he doesn't have elite pass rusher speed and can't bend from the arc very well, but he is quick enough to beat interior linemen - and he has experience against interior linemen from his college days. And of course Dansby can get to the QB as he's shown in his career by looking at his QB pressure numbers (quite high) and sack totals.

Couple that with the very strong defensive line rotation we have (which is the strength of the team) and a linebacking corps like this would expand Nolan's playbook immensely. And it would be the first step into truly making Miami's D an elite level defense.

Nolan is BY FAR the best and smartest coach we have so we should continue to give him good players as he knows how to put them in the best possible position to succeed. I have no faith that Sparano and Daboll can do that for the offense, and have absolutely no trust in them devoloping a QB or putting this offense in the best position to succeed. If you handed them the Patriots offensive unit they'd figure out a way to have them ranked 10 spots lower offensively.

You'll get double the bang for your buck by giving Nolan a good young player on his defense than you will giving Sparano a good young player for the offense.

Good write up!

Personally, I don't see Brooks Reed getting out of the 2nd or 3rd round. I heard nothing but positives about his motor, work ethic and ability to stand up at the Senior Bowl. He'll shine at the Combine as well. Not as fast or fluid as Von, but damn impressive in his own right.

shhhhhhh...i was trying to steal reed...lol...anyways 3rd round or so i think he probably comes into the picture...i agree he was pretty impressive senior bowl week...looked good in a 2 point stance...i just don't know that WE can afford to take him given all our other needs before he's likely to come off the board

Back
Top Bottom