Pat Open To Trade Garoppolo | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pat Open To Trade Garoppolo

The Pats overall success in the draft since 2010 has been as good as most, if not better, especially considering they are drafting at the end of the round every year.

By 'swindling', they do seem to win in most of their trades.

If AZ gave up their 2nd rd pick for Chandler, that pick would currently be the 43rd.

So the 2nd rounder is from 2017? I assumed it was the pick they got from Arizona in the 2016 2nd round.

Their top selections from the 2012, 2013 and 2014 drafts aren't even on the team. Malcolm Brown was a stellar pick and getting Malcolm Butler as an UDFA is even more impressive. Outside of that, it's nothing to brag about. Even Gronk and Hernandez were more about circumstance than acuity, ie injuries and character concerns.

Personally, I think Belichek made all those trades to try and show he was more responsible for the Patriots success than he was given credit for. Not that he hasn't be credited with being a great coach but there isn't a person alive who when given the choice of Tom Brady as your QB or Belichek as your HC, wouldn't choose Brady without hesitation.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Sam Bradford can get you a first, then anything is possible

Only Rick Speilman is/was dumb enough to make that trade. They bailed the Eagles out of a bad situation and will pay for it now with what looks to be a top 14-15 pick.

That trade made Howie Roseman (Eagles GM) look brilliant when most people in the Philadelphia area had him pegged as in-over-his-head moron.

Only Rick Speilman is/was dumb enough to make that trade. They bailed the Eagles out of a bad situation and will pay for it now with what looks to be a top 14-15 pick.

That trade made Howie Roseman (Eagles GM) look brilliant when most people in the Philadelphia area had him pegged as in-over-his-head moron.

Never underestimate quarterback hungry GMs. They are willing to pay or trade anything for a quarterback that shows a pulse. There are teams out there that would gladly give a 1st for Jimmy G.

The 61st pick in the draft for a premier 26 year old pass rusher is hardly value. The whole reason you take a guy in the first round is so you can sign him to a second contract.

Your also confusing their ability to stock pile picks with actual success at making those selections.

Scott Pioli made one amazing draft pick 17 years ago and it's still paying dividends. Let's not pretend like they've swindled the rest of the league for years.

I'm not even talking about their success rate to be honest. It is pretty genius to sign a rookie to a 5 year deal, get 4 very quality years out of them for peanuts and then trade them away for picks in an attempt to do the same thing again.

Arizona is getting Jones for 8 million in a year where they aren't even in the playoffs. Now year 2 . . . they gotta cough up an Olivier Vernon contract and have no 2nd round pick to show for it. Meanwhile, with that 2nd round pick, New England traded down and drafted arguably the best player on their offensive line this year in Thuney and a productive WR in Malcolm Mitchell.

It's why they have ran **** for the last 15 years.

I think coaching is a far bigger reason why they have had so much success for the last 15 years than their personnel management.

But nonetheless I agree with your point about the economics of their strategy.

How good is Jimmy though? Considering that everyone knows that the Pats are a system that sorta props up the QBs....why would Jimmy be worth a 1st? Subtract his comfortable surroundings, how will he do? I am not sure I would be willing to surrender a 1st to find out. Then again, I am not the thirsty GM in need either.

2nd round pick for a non QB on the last year of his rookie deal is definitely value.

Pats really know how to play the game in this "salary cap league". Of course it helps when you are confident in your ability to draft and replace.

even if they don't draft and replace, Tom Brady as your QB is basically a guarantee for 11 wins

even if they don't draft and replace, Tom Brady as your QB is basically a guarantee for 11 wins

Yep . . . and they've also done that with Matt Cassell. And I'd be shocked if Jimmy G had to start all year they wouldn't have 11 wins.

When you can do that from a QB perspective, it means you are doing it right in other areas on the team.

But clearly their coaching staff is top notch.

Considering that everyone knows that the Pats are a system that sorta props up the QBs....why would Jimmy be worth a 1st?

I see this comment all the time, yet I've never had anyone actually explain what it means. If the Pats have some sort of magical QB friendly system, why hasn't every other team in the league copied it after a decade? It feels like an easy cop out to just say "oh its a SYSTEM" without any explanation. Certainly guys like Eric Mangini, Romeo Crennell, Bill O'Brien, etc, would have tried to implement it if it were so simple to do. (And BOB's QBs need all the propping up they can get this year)

Back
Top Bottom