Patriots beat Dolphins to punch for Josh Boyce

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by NCFINFAN13, Apr 30, 2013.

1. NCFINFAN13

NCFINFAN13 The Phinsuckery Continues Donator

2. jlfin

jlfin old pro

This is supposed to be significant? He's still a project and the Pats' receiving corp is a major question mark as of now.

3. BESS4LAST

BESS4LAST AFC EAST CHAMPS

That's fine I'd rather have the guys we picked...he probably wouldn't have made the team anyways....we're deep in that area...you can have him Pats

4. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

So the Patriots beat us to a 4th round pick? Not sure I understand...wasn't he passed over by every team 3 times...but the Pats beat us to him?

5. NCFINFAN13

Sorry I would have rather had Boyce than Jenkins. I'm not unhappy with the Jenkins pick, but Boyce is a slot WR that probably would have gone in the 3rd had he not injured his foot.

6. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

This kind of stuff happens throughout the draft for every team, ask the Eagles about Jordan or the Jets about Austin

7. The Omen

The Omen Well-Known Member

**** the Pats! I truly believe they are on the downfall, sure they have Brady, but at his age he's starting to play on barrowed time, they have two solid TE's but both have yet to complete a full 16 game season. They haven't drafted well on the defensive side of the ball for the last few years, their Oline and run game haven't improved from last year...

With all that said, I still think we may need at least another year to truly challenge them for the division, but we are getting close, we are on the upswing while they are on the down. What does my rant have to do with them picking Boyce before us in the 4th? Nothing, I just wante dto say "**** the Pats"!

8. Ruckus45

Ruckus45 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Love the Jenkins pick if his foot is healed. If not there is no way we would have drafted them. That kid has a huge situational upside. Boyce....not too sure on that.

9. 2230

2230 Well-Known Member

Oh they sure outsmarted us by picking another receiver that wont amount to much. The Patriots are more concerned about looking smart than actually being smart. They could of had Patterson at 29. That would have bothered me much more. Tick Tock Brady tick tock Patriots open window!

10. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

This is becoming a broken record after every draft.

2010: We would have had Jimmy Graham but the Saints beat us to it.
    2012: We would have had T.Y. Hilton but the Colts beat us to it.
    2013: We would have had Josh Boyce but the Patriots beat us to it.

If we rate these guys high enough to be drafted, draft them instead of offensive lineman or trade up.

11. Tiko377

Tiko377 A True Fan

[h=3]Analysis[/h][h=4]Strengths[/h]Solid overall build with a muscular upper body and strong legs. Lines up outside and in the slot. Displays very good hands. Excellent first three steps off the line to challenge corners, shakes them off the line and has enough speed to get a step down the field. Stems every route in the tree with foot quickness that college corners can't handle, does not have to slow down significantly to make a cut. Tracks the ball well over either shoulder, and shows a good job of high pointing the football in contested situations. Creates space downfield with an arm extension. Tough to bring down after the catch because of his low center of gravity and strength. Aggressive run blocker with the strength to negate his man and stick with the block. Willing to attack safeties stepping up inside if uncovered. [h=4]Weaknesses[/h]Might be limited to purely playing the slot. Does not bring some difficult catches extended away from his frame that top prospects are expected to snare with their hands. Some college corners could close on him in the open field. Will fall off run blocks instead of sustaining, allowing his man to come off and make a play at times. [h=4]NFL Comparison[/h]Devery Henderson [h=4]Bottom Line[/h]Boyce's average height and maxed-out frame won't wow scouts, but the quickness and strength that made him a playmaker at the college level makes him a potentially dangerous weapon in the slot, with the possibility of being able to line up on the outside.

meh

12. LDaniel7

LDaniel7 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Guys, Boyce is the real deal and will be everything that everyone was hoping Swope would be for us... I was hoping big time for Boyce. He's Bess but able to own the deep vertical routes and also line up outside. He's gonna be better than Welker in two years, if Brady can hold up that is...

LD

13. SMadison29

SMadison29 What Sherman aspires to be

In the draft day thread I said the two slot receivers we were probably targeting were Josh Boyce & Ace Sanders & they went back to back early in the 4th round. After that none of the remaining receivers made sense for us.

14. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

I thought the Pats draft was dismal. Not bad. Dismal.

15. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

It happens all the time in the draft. Patriots beat the Dolphins to Boyce and the Dolphins beat the Eagles to Jordan. I am sure those are not the only two times it happened in the draft.

16. DUB

DUB Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I had that thought when the pick was made. He is a nice player, good get for them.

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

I think the Saints at #75 beat us to Armstead too.

17. KippyIA1354

KippyIA1354 Home of the ONE and ONLY PERFECT TEAM!

What's the number one job requirement to be a writer at PFT, To be a PATRIOT fan? Really, this is the article that comes out from there,and no doubt GANT is another Patriot fluffer! Man, I can't wait to beat their *** this year!

18. jnewmant

jnewmant Hit folks and like it!

Yeah well we beat the patsies to jordan, so screw them. I really hope we man up and take the division from them with a healthy brady this year so I can quit hearing every news outlet in america constantly slurping those cheating sobs

19. insomnia411

insomnia411 The world is yours

I would feel a lot better about this draft if we took Boyce or Quinton Patton with our 2nd 3rd rounder as opposed to this Will Davis guy who seemed to be a consensus late round/ fa prospect.

20. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

I was hoping we could get Boyce, but I like Jenkins. I don't get why the Patriots would target Boyce when they just acquired Amendola, supposedly to replace Welker? But many experts had the Pats with the worst draft grade in the AFC East. Belichick has made some major gaffes the last five years or so.

21. slickrickpuppy

slickrickpuppy Banned Hammered

he's slow.4.6 speed kinda like a poor mans james jones :chuckle:..i wonder if someone on the fins is a pats backer..b.gaine? to play wr for the patsies you have to be very smart and aware ..thats why they keep bringing back branch/ stallworth/ and them..so he's not a lock to play with tommy!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2013
  22. mfish41

mfish41 It is what it is Donator

I mean i'm sure it happens all the time, but i'm of the opinion that if the story was reversed this thread would be 9 pages long about how we outwitted beli and it's a sign of the changing of the guard.

23. Phinsfan93

Phinsfan93 A True Fan

Because they have virtually NO receivers. After Amendola it's Michael Jenkins, Julian Edleman, and Donald Jones along with Aaron Dobson. Belichick can do whatever he wants and get away with it as he has Brady, Gronk, and Hernandez along with a newfound running game.

24. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

OMG,OMG, another great WR goes to the Patriots!

Questions:

Which team has a better passing attack? The Dolphins or the Patriots?

Which teams has better WRs? The Dolphins or the Patriots?

We clearly have the best WR corp (not counting TEs) yet they will have a better passing game. In fact, the patriots did not need the "magical' number one WR last season, they had a slot WR and two TEs.

The reason is so simple that some people can't get it. It is not about the WRs, it is about the QB. Put 3 All Pro WRs on a team with a crappy QB and you are going to get a poor passing game. Put a All Pro QB with 3 crappy WRs and you will get at least a decent passing attack.

Give Tom Brady our WR corp of Wallace, Hartline and Gibson and they take the super Bowl.

25. gottahavefootba

gottahavefootba The Predator

Except the Fins do this all the time. They call a guy and say they are picking them and then don’t. Just like they did with Jordan Reed, telling him they would pick him then trading the pick.
    Most likely they knew the Pats were listening and suckered them into picking him. Just like they did with Mallett.

26. mfish41

I would agree with you that the QB is much more important than the WR, but after watching last season I think there is a minimum level of talent required at the WR position.

27. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

still not sure why people are not getting this simple logic. We have 3 highly paid WRs. I'm going to type this slowly, we do not use FOUR WRs. However, we have had a serious problem covering TEs etc. so we draft maybe the best coverage LB in the draft and you are crying because we did not take a WR instead? Covering the TE is a "real" problem for this team, not having a 4th WR is a made up one.

Can this "whoever the WR is at the moment" be a gunner on kick offs and punts? Can he play special teams? Because if he is not a special teams star, and he cannot beat out Wallace, Hartline or Gibson, then what use is he? We only dress 4 WRs for a game, we can only dress 45 players for a game. I know Americans are not great at math but this is simple stuff.

28. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

I agree, and anyone that can play one down in the NFL has those minimal skills. But what would a P Manning do with 3 minimum level WRs? He would get a good passing game out of them. Compare that (and the money spent) on putting WRs C Johnston, B Marshall and V Jackson with QB John Beck.

Which group do you see doing better?

29. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

happens all the time in the draft.

30. mfish41

Correct me if i'm wrong, but are you suggesting Tannehill is not a talented QB? I was kind of gearing my response towards blaming the receivers for our lack of passing last season. Your examples are two extremes and i would of course say the Peyton scenario would do better, but just because a QB couldn't get it done with the same corps as Peyton wouldn't make a bad QB. There's a lot left to be proven by Tannehill, but i'd say he is talented irregardless of how he performed with that bad receiving corp.

31. Lilseb93

Lilseb93 This Is My House

Now I won't be able to sleep at night

32. hornedphin

hornedphin New Member

(As a TCU alum,) I was really hoping we would pick Boyce up. He's one of those guys who is truly faster running with the ball. Great hands and pretty clutch too. Probably a little slower, but more consistent than Jeremy Kerley.

33. NCFINFAN13

Way to over-react .... now let me t-y-p-e i-t o-u-t s-l-o-w-l-y for you. You have N-O I-D-E-A if Jenkins can cover or not, gunner or not, play special teams or not at this L-E-V-E-L or even make the 53 man roster or not, just like I have N-O I-D-E-A of Boyce or not. Last I checked I was free to post my opinion on this forum, just as you're free to O-V-E-R R-E-A-C-T. If you had proper reading comprehension you M-A-Y have noticed that I stated I am N-O-T unhappy with Jenkins, therefore your assertion that I'm C-R-Y-I-N-G is A-S-S-I-N-I-N-E. I simply hate the Pats with a passion and can't stand the fact that they took a player we E-V-I-D-E-N-T-L-Y wanted .... whether we play F-O-U-R WRs or not.

34. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

Must mean Boyce is all pro

35. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

Yes, but he was a rookie. And he is good but also very raw and did not start last season as our starter. This year hopefully will be a leap year for him. He is good but not great.

I think his new weapons are what he needs but also about all he can handle. He is not the master of the field yet like Brady, Rogers, Manning etc. He is not good enough to win with a pure passing attack. He is simply not that good, I do not think our coaching staff is that good. (by "that good" i mean Great).

Giving Tannehill and OUR offense a high drafted rookie WR is like is paying extra for tires that are rated for 200 MPH when you car can only do 120 MPH.

36. herndonsr

herndonsr Well-Known Member

the pats are on there way out they will finish second to dolphins this year bill is worried

37. iwastherein72

iwastherein72 Well-Known Member

There is this little word which people forget about.

I....N...J...U...R....I....E....S

Some of us would like to see us be so deep at a critical position like WR that we don't have to hunt down letitgo no-no's who are pumping gas somewhere in October or November when we might have a playoff shot and a guy goes down.

The Packers always have FOUR legitimate top-flight WR's and 1 or 2 ALMOST at that level developing guys. And yes, some do sit on the bench at times.

We always scrape by at skill positions with about 3 "OK" guys, while stockpiling LB, DL, OL wholesale and wondering why we only score 16 pts. a game. Maybe now that we have a kicker we can manage 19 since Sturgis won't miss like carpenter does.

38. xkalaba

xkalaba Rookie

Exactly

39. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Summary.

1. It's not about WR's.
    2. It's about QB's.
    3. If Tom Brady had better WR's, he'd win the SB.

How does that make sense?

40. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

We can just sign him after he is released from the practice squad at some point. Boyce is just another mediocre guy trying to stick somewhere