Pats 2011 Draft | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pats 2011 Draft

The PATRIOTS have done well in accumulating a lot of draft picks over the last few years, but it seems they've done little w/them. As a footnote, has anyone noticed that since N.E. has been unable to steal opponents' signals, N.E. hasn't been close to winning a SB? Makes you wonder whether talent and coaching won those SBs, or cheating did.

NE has NOT replaced SEYMOUR, or BRUSCHI, or VRABLE, or LAW, or MILLOY, or even BRANCH. And they've done little to replenish their OL talent. It's beginning to show on both lines and the DBs especially! They have NOT done well recently w/their ton of 1st Day Draft Picks. Just because MIAMI's S/Ts literally handed them a victory doesn't change that: in fact, it changes NOTHING. Now, MOSS is gone: good for discipline, bad for the talent level.

No,sir! This is NOT the same N.E. PATRIOTS. Given that their SB victories came while they were cheating, maybe they NEVER WERE all that. Or maybe they were. Either way, they will be "past tense" soon, unless some of their presently-mediocre players REALLY develop, and quickly.

God help us Dolphin fans if Belichek learns how to draft considering his team has
90 wins and 26 losses in the previous 7 plus seasons

won-loss
3-1
10-6
11-5
16-0
12-4
10-6
14-2
14-2

and to think New England only has 10 total draft picks next season
8 picks in the first 4 rounds that Belichek will turn into a windfall of picks for

Pioli has been there drafting the entire time. Most fans like to give Belichek the credit, but they're wrong. I don't know if you've noticed, but N.E. is not as good this year and the Chiefs are much better. The Pats WILL NOT draft as well without Pioli.

dobbins and jason allen are starters...

anyways...its pretty painfully obvious watching what i have so far of the pats game over that the pats were giving us 7 in the box looks and we just couldn't muster to gash them enough running the ball...we'd get blockers to the lbs at the second level but it was like all we wanted to do was make contact...we couldn't sustain anything

and i've got a new nickname for pat mcquistan...he's the "zamboni" as much time as he spends mopping up the floor...guys on the ground all the damn time...can't sustain or even make solid contact when pulling...his balance sucks...another straight ahead only guy playing guard and being asked to pull...ugh

john jerry being out has really hurt us...teams are daring us to just line up and run the ball and we just can't do it consistently enough

like you said we're gonna see a lot of soft coverages from soft fronts until we do...

Dobbins is Crowder's backup, and has played like a backup so far. It's sad, really, because I was hoping for more. And this from someone who's in the minority on here and actually likes Crowder, even though he always strikes the eye as eminently upgradeable (and will have to be, I'd say, before we get serious about the Big Dance).

Was I also the only one to see Sean Smith getting some serious looks at strong safety Moday night? I got so disgusted I deleted the game right after it was over, then stumbled out into the street and killed the first thing I saw, which unfortunately was a paraplegic social worker (ok, so not that part). But I'm pretty sure I saw him at safety last night. I have never liked that idea as Sean's forte is and always will be bump and run and his burst and COD in zone leave much to be desired, but it was certainly interesting to see. If you get a chance, take a peek and tell me what you see, and try to pretend for a minute that you don't actually want Sean Smith's arms and legs amputated, infected with syphillis, and reattached (to steal a joke from SNL).

I agree about McQuistan. They say beauty is only skin deep, but ugly's to the bone. Well, Pat McQuistan is both ugly and talentless. A straight up Flounder. "Fat, stiff and clueless is no way to go through the NFL, son." Makes you wonder how bad Cory Proctor must be, and just what the hell's wrong with Donald Thomas (seriously, was he bitten in half by a shark or something? Did he de-foul Parcells' private commode? One of these days someone is going to have to explain it to me. Hopefully they speak very slowly and use visual aids).

I want to take a look at Green Bay's defense and see what they run. For our sake I hope they run a defense similar to the Jets. We seem to know what to do with that. Also it seems like Nick Barnett's out for the year, which makes him and Morgan Burnett pretty key recent losses that Washington is probably too inept to exploit. People on here are freaking out and spouting off idiocy in very unattractive and stupid ways, but I haven't seen more than a few posts recognizing the fact that the key problem with our offense isn't Henne, but the fact that we can't run consistently against cover 2. You need an elite quarterback, years of timing and some specialized personnel to beat that kind of defense throwing the ball (the Saints, for one, have all three).

We don't. We beat cover 2 by forcing teams not to run cover 2. And you can only do that by averaging like 7 yards a carry against it. Which we're not. It wouldn't shock me to learn that 80% of Henne's preparation for this season was based around getting single high looks consistently throughout games. It probably never occurred to them they wouldn't be able to gash every 7 man front they were faced with.

good post magoo...i'll take a look for you and see if smith did in fact play some ss...although my initial reaction to that is an auto fail

but i have to say that while the press may be smiths strength i don't consider it much of one given how much he gives guys free inside releases at the los and has average at best cod

anyways...i'll check it out

Dobbins is Crowder's backup, and has played like a backup so far. It's sad, really, because I was hoping for more. And this from someone who's in the minority on here and actually likes Crowder, even though he always strikes the eye as eminently upgradeable (and will have to be, I'd say, before we get serious about the Big Dance).

Was I also the only one to see Sean Smith getting some serious looks at strong safety Moday night? I got so disgusted I deleted the game right after it was over, then stumbled out into the street and killed the first thing I saw, which unfortunately was a paraplegic social worker (ok, so not that part). But I'm pretty sure I saw him at safety last night. I have never liked that idea as Sean's forte is and always will be bump and run and his burst and COD in zone leave much to be desired, but it was certainly interesting to see. If you get a chance, take a peek and tell me what you see, and try to pretend for a minute that you don't actually want Sean Smith's arms and legs amputated, infected with syphillis, and reattached (to steal a joke from SNL).

I agree about McQuistan. They say beauty is only skin deep, but ugly's to the bone. Well, Pat McQuistan is both ugly and talentless. A straight up Flounder. "Fat, stiff and clueless is no way to go through the NFL, son." Makes you wonder how bad Cory Proctor must be, and just what the hell's wrong with Donald Thomas (seriously, was he bitten in half by a shark or something? Did he de-foul Parcells' private commode? One of these days someone is going to have to explain it to me. Hopefully they speak very slowly and use visual aids).

I want to take a look at Green Bay's defense and see what they run. For our sake I hope they run a defense similar to the Jets. We seem to know what to do with that. Also it seems like Nick Barnett's out for the year, which makes him and Morgan Burnett pretty key recent losses that Washington is probably too inept to exploit. People on here are freaking out and spouting off idiocy in very unattractive and stupid ways, but I haven't seen more than a few posts recognizing the fact that the key problem with our offense isn't Henne, but the fact that we can't run consistently against cover 2. You need an elite quarterback, years of timing and some specialized personnel to beat that kind of defense throwing the ball (the Saints, for one, have all three).

We don't. We beat cover 2 by forcing teams not to run cover 2. And you can only do that by averaging like 7 yards a carry against it. Which we're not. It wouldn't shock me to learn that 80% of Henne's preparation for this season was based around getting single high looks consistently throughout games. It probably never occurred to them they wouldn't be able to gash every 7 man front they were faced with.

Totally agree with you about Sean Smith's best technique being bump-and-run.... Hell I've said from the beginning that Smith is best suited to play certain technique's... But you have to have TWO things above all else in order to play the bump-and-run technique effectively... Recovery speed and ball skills...

Sean Smith has both of these... you don't have to worry so much about what type of release you give the receiver in bump-and-run (something Smith struggles with anyway)... Instead, you let the receiver guide you.. but you have to be extremely sound in your technique and consistency to play this game in and game out... Most of all, your pass rush has to effectively get to the quarterback...

The problem with the offense is.... the offense...

It's all based on controlling the line of scrimmage... and Miami isn't doing that. Miami's offense has to run the football and be in 3rd down and short-manageable situations with Chad Henne... no matter what type of defense the opposition is playing..

As I've said all along, Henne is stuck between being a game manager and playing like Penny-Lite (which doesn't fit his style), nor is he able to do it effectively when Miami can't run the football well enough to get themselves in these 3rd down and short-manageable situations...

Which leads to my second point...., when Henning opens up the offense and puts Henne in the shotgun and forces him to be a gunslinger, it's not something they've practiced, nor the philosophy that they've preached to him...

Basically, myself and my good friend Fish-Head dedicated an entire thread back before the season started to the notion that these guys COULD NOT PANIC when Henne struggles and throw the Pennington band-aid on the offense in order to save Sparano's job... he's overmatched no matter who his quarterback is... but they at least have to find out if Henne is the guy or not... above all else.

I'm already convinced about what is and what ain't reguarding most things involved with this team.. the only thing left for me personally to figure out.. is Chad Henne.. and I need to see him play in order to do that... not Chad Pennington or Tyler ****ing Thigpen.

The problems with this team in order of significance are...

1. Dan Henning

2. Tony Sparano

3. Chad Henne

Henning has to go... period.

i don't agree that sean smith has recovery speed...not at all

what baffles me regarding the offense is that we run play action into cover 2 fronts where the only option for henne minus forcing the ball into coverage is throwing the ball into the flat to the rb for short gains...

why doesn't henne have the freedom to check out of some of these calls by now??? and why aren't we sending fasano down the seam into the weakness in cover 2 to sit down between the lbs and the safeties more often...

i agree with the point slimm made about shotgun and henne being unfamiliar with it...it goes against everything that this oc and coaching staff is preaching to him...

and something has got to give...my vote is dan henning

Oh, okay. I should have guessed you were trying to make a joke rather than a serious point, because there's just no way to defend the notion that the Patriots are a team stocked with elite talent, which you'd frankly expect them to be given how brilliantly they've manipulated their ability to trade players for picks and picks for picks.

It's funny, though, the irony of all this. According to one side of this, anyone who thinks the Dolphins have talent and Sparano is a good coach has a "disease", and on the other side, anyone who criticizes our talent, our coaches or our FO isn't a "fan."

That's what funny about this. But by "funny," of course, I mean pathetic. There's seriously right now a group of posters who come on and crow when we win, and another group who come on and crow when we lose, as if they're not so much rooting for the team or analyzing what happens as they're rooting for their predictions to come true.

I'm a Pats fan and I agree with you...to a point. Loaded with elite talent? Not really. Hard to get elite talent when the team is selecting at the bottom of the draft, year after year.

None of the recent picks on defense are elite, though Mayo might become elite (coincidently their only top 10 pick since 2001) but many are or will be solid players for years to come.

This defense will get better as the season progresses. The players just need to learn to do their jobs, and only their jobs, and not try to do more - thats what's leaving those huge gaps in the middle. They showed a bit of the on MNF, with Ninkovich in the right spot to make the picks, spots the coaches told him to be in. That's why their D was so good for years, even with 'old, slow' players. They need that disipline now or the season will go down the drain quickly.

I don't think there's a chance in hell that they go after Jackson. Too much money and one more DUI from a year long suspension.

No he's not!!! The draft guru went to KC. Pioli is the draft guru. The Chiefs will only get better while the Pats start missing on picks.

Pioli was responsible for the Pats drafts from 2005 - 2007. I think there's one player left on the roster from those years (Gostkowski). Their selections have improved since he left. I expect them to be even better now that they'll have a pick in the top 10 (Raiders) and hopefully trade up with the ammo they have. If there's a rookie salary cap in place, that will happen.

2007 ring a bell? 16-0 regular season? Lost the SB in the final 2 minutes on a fluke pay?

Totally agree with you about Sean Smith's best technique being bump-and-run.... Hell I've said from the beginning that Smith is best suited to play certain technique's... But you have to have TWO things above all else in order to play the bump-and-run technique effectively... Recovery speed and ball skills...

Sean Smith has both of these... you don't have to worry so much about what type of release you give the receiver in bump-and-run (something Smith struggles with anyway)... Instead, you let the receiver guide you.. but you have to be extremely sound in your technique and consistency to play this game in and game out... Most of all, your pass rush has to effectively get to the quarterback...

The problem with the offense is.... the offense...

It's all based on controlling the line of scrimmage... and Miami isn't doing that. Miami's offense has to run the football and be in 3rd down and short-manageable situations with Chad Henne... no matter what type of defense the opposition is playing..

As I've said all along, Henne is stuck between being a game manager and playing like Penny-Lite (which doesn't fit his style), nor is he able to do it effectively when Miami can't run the football well enough to get themselves in these 3rd down and short-manageable situations...

Which leads to my second point...., when Henning opens up the offense and puts Henne in the shotgun and forces him to be a gunslinger, it's not something they've practiced, nor the philosophy that they've preached to him...

Basically, myself and my good friend Fish-Head dedicated an entire thread back before the season started to the notion that these guys COULD NOT PANIC when Henne struggles and throw the Pennington band-aid on the offense in order to save Sparano's job... he's overmatched no matter who his quarterback is... but they at least have to find out if Henne is the guy or not... above all else.

I'm already convinced about what is and what ain't reguarding most things involved with this team.. the only thing left for me personally to figure out.. is Chad Henne.. and I need to see him play in order to do that... not Chad Pennington or Tyler ****ing Thigpen.

The problems with this team in order of significance are...

1. Dan Henning

2. Tony Sparano

3. Chad Henne

Henning has to go... period.

You forgot about the other necessary skill needed to play in bump and run: good tackling skills. Jason Allen is teaching us that lesson every Sunday.

As for Henne being "stuck," this kind of touches on something I've been going back and forth on in my mind... whether having Pennington as a mentor is really helping or hurting him. On the one hand it's tantalizing to give the guy a role model who's his opposite in every way. In some ideal world where that relationship works to combine them you could be talking about a guy who's a Pennington with superior arm strength (ie, Peyton Manning).

On the other hand you have the adage that sometimes it's not so much better to work on your weaknesses so much as it is to perfect your strengths. I remember having this debate about Cameron Wake this offseason. Pretend for a minute we're his coach. Do we advise him to spend most of his time working on his coverage skills or on perfecting his pass rush moves? Which do we think is going to have the bigger impact?

I think it's the latter. I wasn't really sure at the beginning of the offseason but I was eventually brought along by the logic of the situation.

The notion with Henne is not quite so cut and dried but it is similar. As steady as he played in Michigan's ho-hum offense, which was so similar to pro-offenses in it's reliance on the running game and play action it made him easy to spot as a relatively sure thing as at least a competent QB, it's impossible to ignore his best game as a collegian was his final bowl game against Florida, where he orchestrated a wide open offense and gashed a Florida defense full of multiple pro-ready prospects. He took all kinds of chances in that game, and succeeded against that defense because he's blessed with great arm strength, bravery and underrated accuracy.

This idea: to Pennington-ify his game... it's a tantalizing prospect to say the least. But at the end of the day we might be trying to hit too much of a home run. Every quarterback in the league has basic and unfixable flaws. Any knowledgeable fan can point them out without any trouble. Henne certainly has his. I don't go along with the opinion that just because he's awkward and slow in front of the camera he's a dullard. Being that way in public certainly never slowed down Joe Montana. But I don't think even in an idealized situation we're talking about a guy who's going to go out there and beat a defense into submission with his mind, the way Drew Brees or Peyton Manning can.

I still go back and forth on this... on what exactly to do with him. Thankfully I'm not a coach. But I'm certainly concerned we could be breeding the aggressiveness out of his game, which given his natural daring and arm strength should be a great equalizer for his flaws. It's certainly got to be confusing for him to be coached to be one quarterback on first and second down and on third and short, and then on third and long, when you really need an elite QB -- and where Chad Pennington certainly has very little ground to be authoritative -- he's put in a situation where he has to cut it loose and that's simply not what they spend a lot of time on.

As for the notion that we have to get rid of Henning, I dismiss that out of hand. The offensive coordinator is the easiest person on the team to scapegoat, and their firing generally accomplishes nothing. Take a look at San Francisco, who just jettisoned their long tenured OC. Anyone want to make a bet whether that offense improves appreciably? You and hoops are too well informed to use the term I'd generally reserve for the bumpkins who resort to this knee jerk opinion but the basic idea is I consider it to me poor statesmanship, for lack of a better word. The precedent here is well formed and long standing.

Henning has proved his worth to me. Look what his loss did to the Carolina Panthers and the performance of Jake Delhomme. Look at the basic stats and points per game his offenses have put up. The guy basically runs a simple offense, I agree, but he does so out of unpredictable formations and personnel groups and 95% of the time calls an intelligent, slightly off kilter kind of game. Sometimes he outsmarts himself but I'll take that every day over a blockhead like Kippy Brown.

I'll never understand the Wildcat call on third and six but he also made a beautifully timed screen pass call to Ricky Williams for a TD. We were driving against cover 2 and he anticipated the moment when Belichick would lose patience and go for the jugular brilliantly. I've seen the Dolphins waste that kind of opportunity too many times to watch it seized and not appreciate it.

You forgot about the other necessary skill needed to play in bump and run: good tackling skills. Jason Allen is teaching us that lesson every Sunday.

As for Henne being "stuck," this kind of touches on something I've been going back and forth on in my mind... whether having Pennington as a mentor is really helping or hurting him. On the one hand it's tantalizing to give the guy a role model who's his opposite in every way. In some ideal world where that relationship works to combine them you could be talking about a guy who's a Pennington with superior arm strength (ie, Peyton Manning).

On the other hand you have the adage that sometimes it's not so much better to work on your weaknesses so much as it is to perfect your strengths. I remember having this debate about Cameron Wake this offseason. Pretend for a minute we're his coach. Do we advise him to spend most of his time working on his coverage skills or on perfecting his pass rush moves? Which do we think is going to have the bigger impact?

I think it's the latter. I wasn't really sure at the beginning of the offseason but I was eventually brought along by the logic of the situation.

The notion with Henne is not quite so cut and dried but it is similar. As steady as he played in Michigan's ho-hum offense, which was so similar to pro-offenses in it's reliance on the running game and play action it made him easy to spot as a relatively sure thing as at least a competent QB, it's impossible to ignore his best game as a collegian was his final bowl game against Florida, where he orchestrated a wide open offense and gashed a Florida defense full of multiple pro-ready prospects. He took all kinds of chances in that game, and succeeded against that defense because he's blessed with great arm strength, bravery and underrated accuracy.

This idea: to Pennington-ify his game... it's a tantalizing prospect to say the least. But at the end of the day we might be trying to hit too much of a home run. Every quarterback in the league has basic and unfixable flaws. Any knowledgeable fan can point them out without any trouble. Henne certainly has his. I don't go along with the opinion that just because he's awkward and slow in front of the camera he's a dullard. Being that way in public certainly never slowed down Joe Montana. But I don't think even in an idealized situation we're talking about a guy who's going to go out there and beat a defense into submission with his mind, the way Drew Brees or Peyton Manning can.

I still go back and forth on this... on what exactly to do with him. Thankfully I'm not a coach. But I'm certainly concerned we could be breeding the aggressiveness out of his game, which given his natural daring and arm strength should be a great equalizer for his flaws. It's certainly got to be confusing for him to be coached to be one quarterback on first and second down and on third and short, and then on third and long, when you really need an elite QB -- and where Chad Pennington certainly has very little ground to be authoritative -- he's put in a situation where he has to cut it loose and that's simply not what they spend a lot of time on.

As for the notion that we have to get rid of Henning, I dismiss that out of hand. The offensive coordinator is the easiest person on the team to scapegoat, and their firing generally accomplishes nothing. Take a look at San Francisco, who just jettisoned their long tenured OC. Anyone want to make a bet whether that offense improves appreciably? You and hoops are too well informed to use the term I'd generally reserve for the bumpkins who resort to this knee jerk opinion but the basic idea is I consider it to me poor statesmanship, for lack of a better word. The precedent here is well formed and long standing.

Henning has proved his worth to me. Look what his loss did to the Carolina Panthers and the performance of Jake Delhomme. Look at the basic stats and points per game his offenses have put up. The guy basically runs a simple offense, I agree, but he does so out of unpredictable formations and personnel groups and 95% of the time calls an intelligent, slightly off kilter kind of game. Sometimes he outsmarts himself but I'll take that every day over a blockhead like Kippy Brown.

I'll never understand the Wildcat call on third and six but he also made a beautifully timed screen pass call to Ricky Williams for a TD. We were driving against cover 2 and he anticipated the moment when Belichick would lose patience and go for the jugular brilliantly. I've seen the Dolphins waste that kind of opportunity too many times to watch it seized and not appreciate it.

I was under the assumption that the observation "you have to be extremely sound in your technique and consistency to play this technique game in and game out" covered the basic fundamental aspect of tackling... I apologize...

Pennington has done more for Chad Henne than this coaching staff is even capable of... Having Pennington serve as a mentor to Henne is only beneficial if they're not tempted to pull Henne when he struggles and insert Pennington in an attempt to save the Bifecta's ***...

The quarterback position is unique and different from any other position... you're not asked to defeat only the guy in front of you, or win one-on-one battles... you're required to beat 3 separate units, and all 11 guys on defense... every single play.. whether it be physically (all the aspects of a required throw) or mentally (checking out of bad play calls)...

At the quarterback position, it's about minimizing your flaws first and foremost over improving your strengths... negative plays from the QB position are always going to be more detrimental to the team than positive plays are going to be beneficial... If you can't improve your weaknesses enough first to the point that you can execute a drive (much less a game plan) without killer mistakes, you're not going to playing enough to improve your strengths anyway... your *** is going to be on the bench..

Henne's performance against Florida was by far the best of his career in a big game.... but it was also against a secondary full of freshmen and youngsters... where were the pro-ready prospects? Derrick Harvey? Laughable...

The bottom line is, Henning needs to go because he's not getting it done... nor is he going to be the guy that gets this offense over the hump in the long run.. He costs the team momentum CONSTANTLY... not SUDDENLY.. but CONSTANTLY... with his playcalling. It's the OC's responsibility to work in conjunction with the position coaches and ensure that HIS offense is executing.. from the blocking, to the timing, to the route running, to the receivers not dropping passes... to calling plays that work...

The 49ers didn't fire their OC because it was going to make their offense immediately better, but because they could've paid a monkey $6/hour and achieved the same results...

Miami has already fired everyone else over the past 2 seasons, now there's only 2 guys left to fall on the sword..

...but glad to hear myself and whoever else have somehow managed to avoid the dreaded "bumpkin" label of Magoo... I consider it an overwhelming success...

I was under the assumption that the observation "you have to be extremely sound in your technique and consistency to play this technique game in and game out" covered the basic fundamental aspect of tackling... I apologize...

Pennington has done more for Chad Henne than this coaching staff is even capable of... Having Pennington serve as a mentor to Henne is only beneficial if they're not tempted to pull Henne when he struggles and insert Pennington in an attempt to save the Bifecta's ***...

The quarterback position is unique and different from any other position... you're not asked to defeat only the guy in front of you, or win one-on-one battles... you're required to beat 3 separate units, and all 11 guys on defense... every single play.. whether it be physically (all the aspects of a required throw) or mentally (checking out of bad play calls)...

At the quarterback position, it's about minimizing your flaws first and foremost over improving your strengths... negative plays from the QB position are always going to be more detrimental to the team than positive plays are going to be beneficial... If you can't improve your weaknesses enough first to the point that you can execute a drive (much less a game plan) without killer mistakes, you're not going to playing enough to improve your strengths anyway... your *** is going to be on the bench..

Henne's performance against Florida was by far the best of his career in a big game.... but it was also against a secondary full of freshmen and youngsters... where were the pro-ready prospects? Derrick Harvey? Laughable...

The bottom line is, Henning needs to go because he's not getting it done... nor is he going to be the guy that gets this offense over the hump in the long run.. He costs the team momentum CONSTANTLY... not SUDDENLY.. but CONSTANTLY... with his playcalling. It's the OC's responsibility to work in conjunction with the position coaches and ensure that HIS offense is executing.. from the blocking, to the timing, to the route running, to the receivers not dropping passes... to calling plays that work...

The 49ers didn't fire their OC because it was going to make their offense immediately better, but because they could've paid a monkey $6/hour and achieved the same results...

Miami has already fired everyone else over the past 2 seasons, now there's only 2 guys left to fall on the sword..

...but glad to hear myself and whoever else have somehow managed to avoid the dreaded "bumpkin" label of Magoo... I consider it an overwhelming success...

That Florida defense also had Brandon Spikes, Major Wright, Jermaine Cunningham, Joe Haden and Carlos Dunlap on it. None came out after that season but those are some pretty talented players right there. I was imprecise to use the term "pro ready," but the idea was to separate it from lighting up a defense full of players destined to ask people if they want fries with that.

Either way the important part was that he played his best game against a talented defense in a big situation using an offensive approach that he never really used at Michigan or has with the Dolphins. They spread the ball into four and five wides all game, counting on Henne to make quick reads and good decisions. He also did a great job checking off at the line of scrimmage. At least one run check led to a touchdown.

Anyway the idea is that we all conceptualize Henne has a game manager type who's best off of play action in favorable situations to throw the ball. But it's odd that his best performance in college was running an offense like the Saints run now.

As for the "bumpkin" label. Yes, congratulations. It's indeed dreaded... almost as bad as being diagnosed with "Parcellitis."

Haden, Dunlap and Major Wright were freshmen Magoo... Spikes was a sophomore...as was Cunningham..

That wasn't a good Florida defense, they were young... they averaged giving up almost 30 points per game to D-1 opponents (27.3)..

Henne played well in that game though (finally)... I remember it well.. I remember the attempt to throw a quick screen pass to Jake Long on a tackle eligible play....:lol:

I watched Henne and Flacco both throw in person at the Senior Bowl in Mobile that year... I could go into a semi long-winded, detailed post about my personal evaluations of Henne coming out of college, but to sum it up quickly, it basically falls in the range of "solid"... nothing spectacular...

Although, I liked him better than Flacco due to playing in that pro style offense for 4 years that ingrained BASIC fundamentals under Mike DeBord that would help his transition... (didn't have a ton of film on Flacco due to level of competition, and had questions about him adjusting the to the pro game coming out of that primarily Shotgun offense)... I felt like Henne was the 2nd best quarterback in the draft behind Ryan... and had a significant gap between the two...

Henne has flaws that are the same as they were as a sophomore.... I want to see him overcome those and see significant progress in the next 12 starts that he NEEDS to get in order to decide which way we need to go as a football team...

hey magoo...smith did line up opposite chris clemons in the 2 minute drill defense when we were showing some very soft coverage looks ...y bell taken off the field

i guess that would qualify as ss...

Doesn't surprise me one bit. Belichick does it every year. He is the draft guru

Really? You think he's a draft guru? Since he's taken over the draft, how many studs has he drafted? Especially players that come from out of the named players, those 4th, 5th round unknowns that the better GMs find?

Why is it that since he's run the draft and been in charge of player personnel have the Pats lost their luster? Are they as good as the team Pioli left when he gave up those duties?

Back
Top Bottom