Pauline: Browns & Fins lining up a deal if Elliot available at pick 8 | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pauline: Browns & Fins lining up a deal if Elliot available at pick 8

Elliot is a smoke screen. We want Dallas to take him with the hope that our real targets Ramsey, Jack, or Bosa fall to 8. Only way we take Elliot is at 13 imo.

The Raiders might be trading up as well. The 49ers could be listening with big ears.

Because we have bigger holes then at running back thats why. Our pass rush is a injury away from being non existent. We have holes all over the secondary. The O line is still a mess and a injury away from again being a turnstile.

Running backs are not the same thing like 15 years ago.

C.j Anderson/Ronnie Hillman, can't even name you the walk on New England used in the super bowl, Marshawn Lynch, Ray Rice, Ahmad Bradshaw/ Brandon Jacobs, James Starks.

Those are the running backs that won the past 5 years. Lynch was the lone first rounder and the defense in that game destroyed the Broncos. It's just a new age, it's just not smart to use a high pick on the position with the highest risk of injury and the shortest lifespan in the league.

Appreciate the thorough reply and excellent points about the other needs. But, again, those are all teams with solid lines, right? Save for Seattle perhaps and they had Lynch (a first rounder). It just seems to me that everyone is so down on Ajayi but are okay with a middle round back even though our line still needs work. Without a good running game our O makes little to no improvement over last year and this looks like a great opportunity for a stud at that position. Other positions have needs also, fair enough. I just wonder if whoever we pick will have the same impact at their position that Elliot would have at his.

Forgive me for having missed the other previous 38 threads on Elliot. But the naysayers claim, and perhaps rightfully so, that you can get a RB in any round. But all the genuine experts actually involved in NFL and college scouting (not just forum warriors) say he's the next big thing. Well...perhaps any back works IF you have a solid line though, right?? When was the last time we had a solid line to make a mediocre back look even above average?? Maybe we should have kept Miller but not for that price and it's a moot point anyway. Why are so many people ready to jump off a bridge at the possibility of drafting what could be an absolute stud?? With a new coach that brings a lot of promise for the offense I would think that's an exciting prospect. Now, I don't pretend to know as much as you guys do. I'm just a loyal fan since birth but I'd really like to know why so much disdain at that possibility. I personally would be damn excited to see this move. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here is my problem. I remember Trent "can't miss" Richardson. Going to be an elite RB for years to come. So good the Browns traded up (yes, I know, it was the Browns). Now EE is "can't miss." He will single-handedly improve the Dolphins O. Pardon me if I have some degree of doubt. I'm familiar with 'but ALL selections have risks.' That's true, but they only cost one draft pick. That said, I'm not AGAINST drafting EE. He is one of 5-6 I'll take with no complaints, BUT, I'm against any move up.

Running backs aren't worth anything anymore. They are plug and play. See Demarco Murray.

Actually, there are a couple of things in this statement needing clarity:

1) Running Backs are now devalued in the recent NFL. But,
2) There are also very few Elite RBs (NFL Hall of Fame caliber) in the game: Adrian Peterson is at the top of the short list.
3) Demarco Murray and every RB signed by the Eagles last season failed for many reasons. But the most underrated reason is the loss of Evan Mathis. The Eagles made too many assumptions about WHY their scheme was working and removed a few too many important pieces.
4) Every RB has a different style. Fitting the RB to the correct scheme and team is key. But sadly, nearly EVERY player in the NFL excels in the right scheme. Most of the players on any given team are not pure fits for their team's scheme. Great coaching overcomes all of these short comings to win Super Bowls and remain consistently on top over the years.

Demarco Murray's fortunes will change with a team built and dedicated to running the ball.

This is why we need a LG, RG and Swing Tackle BADLY. Anyone willing to devote the proper resources to the OL can have an OL like the Cowboys. And we see what the Cowboys OL does for the running game and passing game. But let's not overlook that no one in Dallas backfield replicated Murray's accomplishments. Meaning Murray was a great scheme fit for that team.

I'm just saying, RBs will come back in fashion when enough teams devote resources to building dominant OLs. The formula always works. But most teams don't have the resources or devotion to actually doing it.

If we were to draft say... Tunsil and then come back with another T that can play G in the 2nd.... this OL would get scary fast. But instead, we will continue to spread our resources thin and not build any one single dominant unit. But we will settle for many mediocre units.

The OL is the key to our offense. Fix it and it will pay dividends.

Here is my problem. I remember Trent "can't miss" Richardson. Going to be an elite RB for years to come. So good the Browns traded up (yes, I know, it was the Browns). Now EE is "can't miss." He will single-handedly improve the Dolphins O. Pardon me if I have some degree of doubt. I'm familiar with 'but ALL selections have risks.' That's true, but they only cost one draft pick. That said, I'm not AGAINST drafting EE. He is one of 5-6 I'll take with no complaints, BUT, I'm against any move up.

Very true. And, yes, the same could be said about any player. I just don't see how we would rather pick someone with mediocre expectations at another position over someone with the highest of expectations.

I do not expect him to be Ricky Williams. But I think he can be an Emmitt Smith. And would I trade up to add an Emmitt Smith to our team?

Damn Skippy I would.

I would take that HOF o-line that Smith had the opportunity to run behind during his career in a moments notice.

I would love to see Elliot in a Dolphins uniform, but if he isn't there at 13, take best player available and get Devonte Booker in second or third round.

Why didn't we just keep Miller?

Ozzy rules

Mike-Tannenbaum-Dolphins-jpg_664973_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg

That's why.

Last year the Giants lost 6 games in which they had a lead with less than 2 minutes remaining. Imagine if they had a RB like Elliott who could close games out. The value of a special RB like Elliott could have been potentially worth 6 wins to the Giants last year. So I can't imagine Elliott being available past #10 where the Giants pick.

To compare Elliott to Miller or to any of the recent "system" Alabama RB's is not accurate, in my opinion.

If the trade compensation is fair, then are the Dolphins not supposed to act because of some overblown myth concerning the devaluation of the RB position? I'd rather see Tannehill under center on 3rd and 2 with a run-pass option rather than seeing Tannehill in the shotgun because, for the Dolphins, 3rd and 2 is invariably a passing situation.

Elliot is a smoke screen. We want Dallas to take him with the hope that our real targets Ramsey, Jack, or Bosa fall to 8. Only way we take Elliot is at 13 imo.

Back
Top Bottom