Penalties, Penalties, and More Penalties | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Penalties, Penalties, and More Penalties

It's about discipline and players respecting the coach. Coaches like Tom Coughlin never tolerated it. Practices have referees now and have for years. It has to be nipped in the bud in practice.

Our team clearly does not respect Gase. Being "one of the boys" and trash talking with them does not create the required boundary. There's a fine line and Gase is on wrong side of it. See Mike Tomlin for a a guy who balances the line correctly.

The team is flat out undisciplined and it comes back to accepting it in practice and not having enough Fear of God (i.e. Coach) as a permeating culture on this team.

The state of officiating in the NFL is beyond atrocious. They need to simplify the rules, make the game easier to officiate and stop trying to ensure everything is perfect. It doesn’t work.

Spotting the football is the one thing officials do after every play. That method could not be more imprecise. Yet the league insists on absurd super slow motion inspection of the catch/no aspect aspect. I'm sick of it. It's like they want the ball to remain frozen to the point it looks identical from every angle when the player crashes from the ground.

In my brief football background I played receiver. I have big hands and they were very reliable. Even then there were ridiculous referee interpretations when they tried to pretend the ball hit the ground. It didn't hit the ground. Your palm and fingers are safely beneath the football, even if it isn't obvious from afar. Every season I want to scream after dozens of plays in which the announcers proclaim the ball hit the ground, and the referees rule it incomplete, yet the receiver is going nuts. He knows darn well that ball was always on top of his fingers and palm. The bottom of the hand jarring against the ground can make the ball pop up briefly and everyone screams that it's clear evidence the ball hit the ground. No, it's evidence you are a fool. A wide receiver at that level is not going to separate his hands or move them behind his back while the ball is threatening ground level. The blades of grass or simply the camera angle make it appear the ball hits the ground. It's not hitting the ground. Fortunately there are a handful of sharp analysts who continually point that out, but invariably they are drowned out by the simpletons.

That is the worst single area of referee interpretation every season. Undefeated. It will never change.

Spotting the football is the one thing officials do after every play. That method could not be more imprecise. Yet the league insists on absurd super slow motion inspection of the catch/no aspect aspect. I'm sick of it. It's like they want the ball to remain frozen to the point it looks identical from every angle when the player crashes from the ground.

In my brief football background I played receiver. I have big hands and they were very reliable. Even then there were ridiculous referee interpretations when they tried to pretend the ball hit the ground. It didn't hit the ground. Your palm and fingers are safely beneath the football, even if it isn't obvious from afar. Every season I want to scream after dozens of plays in which the announcers proclaim the ball hit the ground, and the referees rule it incomplete, yet the receiver is going nuts. He knows darn well that ball was always on top of his fingers and palm. The bottom of the hand jarring against the ground can make the ball pop up briefly and everyone screams that it's clear evidence the ball hit the ground. No, it's evidence you are a fool. A wide receiver at that level is not going to separate his hands or move them behind his back while the ball is threatening ground level. The blades of grass or simply the camera angle make it appear the ball hits the ground. It's not hitting the ground. Fortunately there are a handful of sharp analysts who continually point that out, but invariably they are drowned out by the simpletons.

That is the worst single area of referee interpretation every season. Undefeated. It will never change.
Great point about spotting the ball - they only seem to care about it on 4th down to boot. I miss the days when a catch was a catch.

If Gase was smart he would cut Ted Larsen for the presonal foul inside the 20. It would force these guys going in to next year be cognizant of dumb penalties, and it wouldn’t matter as he is not good. It’s so weird our offensiveline is so sloppy it looks as it’s cosched by a coke head and not a football coach. Oh wait it was.

2nd worst in the NFL in penalties and 2nd worst in the NFL in turning the ball over. Well coached teams never have those problems.

Wow!!!...at say, five yds a pop....that's 785 lost yardage..... and that's on the low side..

Ok I wanna know how New England played the best defense in the league and only had one penalty which came on special teams. So I’m led to believe New England played a perfect game on both sides of the ball? Miami games are unwatchable because they are flagged to death constantly. Something is a miss.

Ok I wanna know how New England played the best defense in the league and only had one penalty which came on special teams. So I’m led to believe New England played a perfect game on both sides of the ball? Miami games are unwatchable because they are flagged to death constantly. Something is a miss.
That last run that sealed the game had holding on it I thought. Yeah, pretty pathetic - their guys are just perfect up front.

That last run that sealed the game had holding on it I thought. Yeah, pretty pathetic - their guys are just perfect up front.
It makes me think it’s out of control for Miami to fix their penalty problems. If the refs have it out for you there’s nothing you can do.

Open letter to Coach Gase:

Here's how to help curtail penalties on our team. For each yard of penalty a player receives, he shall run one 100 yard windsprint at the conclusion of Tuesday's practice (or Wed. for Monday Night weeks)

False start? 500 yards.
Offensive holding? 1,000 yards.
Personal Foul? 1,500 yards.
35 yard Pass Interference? Vomit.

These penalties will be cumulative. At some point, your players will simply stop ****ing up.

Edit: Or, they'll fistfight refs who cheat - thus bringing national attention to the problem. :laugh

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of suggestions for how they could make spotting the ball more precise. Some involve using miniature transponders in the ball and/or the pads of eligible receivers. Some have suggested that you just need better camera angles and a dedicated official with a feed to handle it. And of course, I think it's still a little silly that we still use the official chain-gang to measure matters of inches, since there's no damn way any person on Earth is going to run a big ol' pole across a field and put it down to within an inch of where it needs to be reliably.

I think the NFL could score a big hit with the fans if it would simply acknowledge that people are upset with blown calls, missed calls, and sketchy things by officials. Some suggestions:

- Make thrown flags challengeable, like in the CFL. How often do we see the officials get the number of the offending player wrong on a call, for instance? Force the referees to be accountable. If you are going to call holding on #60, and #60 was standing there with no one to block, then a coach should be able to throw a red flag on that. Oh, was there actually holding on the play but the refs got the number wrong? Well, yeah, they got it wrong! Get it right, instead. The NFL is a very, very rich organization. Team owners are very wealthy and their teams create even more wealth for them. Demand competent, accountable penalty assessments. If the referee threw a flag for pass interference and the replay shows that it was good coverage, THEN ADMIT YOU GOT IT WRONG AND PICK UP THE FLAG.

- Full time officials. Get young men (or women, I don't care) who know the rules and can keep up with the action. Have strict guidelines for things like eyesight, hearing, and general fitness. When football season is over, have them FULL TIME in practice and training and rulebook learning. Pay them a GOOD salary. You'll never fully eliminate the risk of bribery, but you can mitigate it.

- Better camera coverage in every stadium. There should be 8 end zone corner cameras in EVERY stadium. What is this going to amount to, like $2,500 per stadium?

Of course, all of this assumes that the League office and the majority of the owners actually really care about fairness and 'integrity of the game.' I'm sure this kind of effort into restoring fan confidence would interfere with the League's plans to shunt regular season games off to China or whatever dumb **** they're cooking up right now.

I've seen a lot of suggestions for how they could make spotting the ball more precise. Some involve using miniature transponders in the ball and/or the pads of eligible receivers. Some have suggested that you just need better camera angles and a dedicated official with a feed to handle it. And of course, I think it's still a little silly that we still use the official chain-gang to measure matters of inches, since there's no damn way any person on Earth is going to run a big ol' pole across a field and put it down to within an inch of where it needs to be reliably.

I think the NFL could score a big hit with the fans if it would simply acknowledge that people are upset with blown calls, missed calls, and sketchy things by officials. Some suggestions:

- Make thrown flags challengeable, like in the CFL. How often do we see the officials get the number of the offending player wrong on a call, for instance? Force the referees to be accountable. If you are going to call holding on #60, and #60 was standing there with no one to block, then a coach should be able to throw a red flag on that. Oh, was there actually holding on the play but the refs got the number wrong? Well, yeah, they got it wrong! Get it right, instead. The NFL is a very, very rich organization. Team owners are very wealthy and their teams create even more wealth for them. Demand competent, accountable penalty assessments. If the referee threw a flag for pass interference and the replay shows that it was good coverage, THEN ADMIT YOU GOT IT WRONG AND PICK UP THE FLAG.

- Full time officials. Get young men (or women, I don't care) who know the rules and can keep up with the action. Have strict guidelines for things like eyesight, hearing, and general fitness. When football season is over, have them FULL TIME in practice and training and rulebook learning. Pay them a GOOD salary. You'll never fully eliminate the risk of bribery, but you can mitigate it.

- Better camera coverage in every stadium. There should be 8 end zone corner cameras in EVERY stadium. What is this going to amount to, like $2,500 per stadium?

Of course, all of this assumes that the League office and the majority of the owners actually really care about fairness and 'integrity of the game.' I'm sure this kind of effort into restoring fan confidence would interfere with the League's plans to shunt regular season games off to China or whatever dumb **** they're cooking up right now.

Not that I disagree (although I do a little), what about the flags MOST fans complain about - uncalled penalties. And the game is getting too slow already

Back
Top Bottom