Penalties, Penalties, and More Penalties | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Penalties, Penalties, and More Penalties

I've seen a lot of suggestions for how they could make spotting the ball more precise. Some involve using miniature transponders in the ball and/or the pads of eligible receivers. Some have suggested that you just need better camera angles and a dedicated official with a feed to handle it. And of course, I think it's still a little silly that we still use the official chain-gang to measure matters of inches, since there's no damn way any person on Earth is going to run a big ol' pole across a field and put it down to within an inch of where it needs to be reliably.

I think the NFL could score a big hit with the fans if it would simply acknowledge that people are upset with blown calls, missed calls, and sketchy things by officials. Some suggestions:

- Make thrown flags challengeable, like in the CFL. How often do we see the officials get the number of the offending player wrong on a call, for instance? Force the referees to be accountable. If you are going to call holding on #60, and #60 was standing there with no one to block, then a coach should be able to throw a red flag on that. Oh, was there actually holding on the play but the refs got the number wrong? Well, yeah, they got it wrong! Get it right, instead. The NFL is a very, very rich organization. Team owners are very wealthy and their teams create even more wealth for them. Demand competent, accountable penalty assessments. If the referee threw a flag for pass interference and the replay shows that it was good coverage, THEN ADMIT YOU GOT IT WRONG AND PICK UP THE FLAG.

- Full time officials. Get young men (or women, I don't care) who know the rules and can keep up with the action. Have strict guidelines for things like eyesight, hearing, and general fitness. When football season is over, have them FULL TIME in practice and training and rulebook learning. Pay them a GOOD salary. You'll never fully eliminate the risk of bribery, but you can mitigate it.

- Better camera coverage in every stadium. There should be 8 end zone corner cameras in EVERY stadium. What is this going to amount to, like $2,500 per stadium?

Of course, all of this assumes that the League office and the majority of the owners actually really care about fairness and 'integrity of the game.' I'm sure this kind of effort into restoring fan confidence would interfere with the League's plans to shunt regular season games off to China or whatever dumb **** they're cooking up right now.
Excellent points and I could not have stated It better. The huge issue with the NFL is that it is trapped in its own cynicism (right word right?). This a league wide issue from the owners down to coaches.

The rules area has collapsed due to pure ignorance. Officials got old, less accountable and micromanagement has increased the pressure of the job. There is no incentive for these men to be better because they have a job next week and then the following year.

The rules book became to complex. The NFL tries to be perfect but doesn't have an adequate system in place. Then when they are wrong and are called out on it they just say " no you're wrong". What are we, five? I've seen the NFL admit maybe a handful of calls were wrong since the replay moved to New York. You got to be joking? They act like human error has never occurred in any of these games.

You're idea for goal line camera is spot on. It's not that hard to put a few camera in place for such a crucial area of the field. The chain gang needs to be modified to. You can place small cameras to get an accurate representation of where the first down marker is. I'm sure laser tech could be implemented instead.

And the catch rule. Long story short the Jesse James and Zach Miller catches should be touchdowns. just make it simple.

One note on the officials... They need to be held accountable for the game. they can shift entire games to an entire teams favor. there needs to be competition for those spots every year so you improve the performance.

The NFL needs to learn to be more progressive and forward thinking. It will be tough when these old owners don't accept they need go change

The refs let them play this past weekend. 6 penalties in one game and 7 in the other.
Much better than the stuff we have been seeing all season.

The refs let them play this past weekend. 6 penalties in one game and 7 in the other.
This they did do a fantastic job. a huge relief from a game like the one in KC. The Bouye call at the end of the half was the only one I had. I've played db and that was good defense. Cooks had no intention of coming back inside and got forced out. just a sympathy flag IMO. The other calls were spot on

This they did do a fantastic job. a huge relief from a game like the one in KC. The Bouye call at the end of the half was the only one I had. I've played db and that was good defense. Cooks had no intention of coming back inside and ran himself out. just a sympathy flag IMO. The other calls were spot on

I would much rather have it this way but...not a single penalty on offense or defense in an entire game? I am not much into conspiracy theories but that is over the top. Add in that it is the Patriots, whom most see a huge bias by the league for, it is a terrible look.

This they did do a fantastic job. a huge relief from a game like the one in KC. The Bouye call at the end of the half was the only one I had. I've played db and that was good defense. Cooks had no intention of coming back inside and got forced out. just a sympathy flag IMO. The other calls were spot on

Yeah, agree that one was ticky-tack. But Brady threw it up hoping for ticky-tack. Defender needs to be smarter there.

I would much rather have it this way but...not a single penalty on offense or defense in an entire game? I am not much into conspiracy theories but that is over the top. Add in that it is the Patriots, whom most see a huge bias by the league for, it is a terrible look.

Patriots had 1 penalty, Minnesota 2, Philly 4 and Jax 6

Good teams generally don't need to commit penalties.

Patriots had 1 penalty, Minnesota 2, Philly 4 and Jax 6

Good teams generally don't need to commit penalties.
I agree, but not a single on on Off or D? and pretty much the same the week before? All I am saying is that it's a bad look

Just read this. Since the Pats loss to the Dolphins over 5 games, they have been called for 3 off penalties for 14 yrds. The def has been called for 5 for 45 yrds. Opponents have been called for 16 off for 100 yrds and 16 for def for 260 yrds.

Yes and 6 of 7 against the Jags though. Enough to tilt the game. Back on point - those penalty numbers are more in line w how the game used to be officiated. Much better.

Back
Top Bottom