Percy Harvin wants trade from Vikes | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Percy Harvin wants trade from Vikes

Terrible route runner? He's by no means a technician but he doesn't cut them short nor does he go Cowboy on his routes and abandon options for the sake of coverage. He's a threat in the purest football sense. He's got terrific hands, fantastic YAC, and he's a pure homerun threat.

Miami won't cough up what is necessary. Percy isn't a true #1, he's more of an amazing #2 who can create infinite matchup problems thanks to his ability as a running back.

NJPhins - I would upgrade "not bad" to "pretty damn talented" if you have Chad Johnson back to even 2010 levels. Harvin won't take over a game by himself (with any regularity I mean, I remember his 3 touchdown 200+ yard game towards the end of last season) but with Hartline, Chad Johnson, and Bess? That's an absolute ton of weapons who just get OPEN, all 3 thanks to simply quick cuts and first burst
Being a threat and being a good route runner are two very different things. Most of the time they just have him run short routes and find soft spots in zone coverage and he just sits there until the QB finds him. Once he has the ball in his hands he's a threat to score. But if he can't burn a CB purely on his speed he can't get open. He's never been known as a good route runner and against decent CBs he struggles a lot to get separation. There have been many games where he does nothing as a receiver. The Vikings do a lot to create ways to get him the ball, reverses, lining him up as a running back, run him out of the backfield in the flat (where his speed is a huge mismatch against linebackers), return game but as a boundary WR he's not very good. I know some of you guys just pull up stats and think a guy must be good but that's not always the case.

Percy Harvin was a major 'whisper campaign' guy coming out of college. Everyone knew a guy who knew a guy who had some major dirt on Percy Harvin. It was similar to Ryan Mallett although I think there was more confirmable evidence. The big difference was that where Mallett's coaches and people surrounding Arkansas went to bat HARD for him both publicly and privately...I remember the Florida coaches and people around that program refusing to even go to bat for Percy publicly, let alone privately. I remember public statements about Percy Harvin living in Percy Harvin-land, having major problems, etc. No coincidence that fast forward a few years, he's had major character issues in Minnesota, including a concerted effort to try and get his Head Coach fired, including assault with a deadly weapon (throwing a weight slab at a guy's head qualifies), and his time there seems to be ending with a surprise trade request. No coincidence at all. Essentially everything that was whispered about Percy Harvin coming out of college has been realized in the pros in full. He's easily the headache that people feared coming out of college.

And people want to trade for this guy? No way. N-O. No.

Trading for Harvin would be a de facto admission that trading Brandon Marshall away for two 3rd round picks was an IDIOTIC MOVE. Harvin is a BIGGER headache than Marshall, figuratively and literally, and not nearly as talented.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

Hm... wont be surprised if the Pats trade for Percy with Welker on the franchise tag.

Don't bet on it. Urban Meyer was one of the people that refused to go to bat for Percy publicly, and lord only knows what he's told Belichick privately.

i like harvin but he's a niche player...like truth says he doesn't run crisp routes and the guys got migraines and reasons he misses practice and games out the nose...i wonder what they want for him...can probably get a 2nd rounder i'd imagine even with the baggage

He's not a complete receiver or a great route runner by any means, but the dude is a playmaker and he would help us a lot by stretching the field, getting YAC etc. Because of his flaws and his migraine issues, I probably wouldn't give up too much for him, but we do have two thirds this year, I'd probably give up our two thirds for Percy.... If we could finagle a deal for a 3rd and a 4th that'd be splediferous.

I wouldn't give up a 7th for him. I don't want him on my team, period. Bad influence. Way worse than Marshall.

he's definitely a playmaker...explosive as heck with the ball in his hands...tough hard nosed when he does actually play...can disappear also though

i bet someone parts with a 2nd rounder envisioning a certain roll with him...

I wouldn't give up a 7th for him. I don't want him on my team, period. Bad influence. Way worse than Marshall.

Not saying I don't trust you but what you've been saying about Harvin is surprising. I don't remember hearing anything about him being THAT bad of a headache or a team cancer. I knew that he could be a diva but I didn't know that he tried to get his coach fired or that he caused any major team distractions.

Being a threat and being a good route runner are two very different things. Most of the time they just have him run short routes and find soft spots in zone coverage and he just sits there until the QB finds him. Once he has the ball in his hands he's a threat to score. But if he can't burn a CB purely on his speed he can't get open. He's never been known as a good route runner and against decent CBs he struggles a lot to get separation. There have been many games where he does nothing as a receiver. The Vikings do a lot to create ways to get him the ball, reverses, lining him up as a running back, run him out of the backfield in the flat (where his speed is a huge mismatch against linebackers), return game but as a boundary WR he's not very good. I know some of you guys just pull up stats and think a guy must be good but that's not always the case.

Thank you for trying to lump me into someone who just checks his stats and think the guy must be good. It's always nice to have a debate where someone immediately brushes you off like that. Makes me want to take you seriously :rolleyes: It's like you flat out ignored what I said and then strawman'd me with things I never really said, and repeating a couple of things I DID say!

Anyways as I previously stated, he is by no means a TERRIBLE route runner. That's what you said, isn't it? A TERRIBLE route runner? I said he's by no means a technician. You're moving the goal posts to fit your argument which is a pretty dishonest way to handle a discussion. I didn't say "Percy Harvin has 900 yards and 6 TDs how are you going to say he's a poor route runner!?"... I gave actual analysis of what he does. He doesn't abandon his routes (hence the "Go Cowboy" mantra) nor does he really cut them off (the worst of offenses, IMO, just look at Bernard Berrian and how many QBs he gets in trouble by doing that). You're correct, he's not crisp in anything he does, and his footwork leaves a lot to be desired, but as stated, he's simply a play maker.

Miami doesn't make a move for him, no way no how. They don't want to give up the picks, and his concerns on the field (migraines) are too much to deal with.

I find it funny that you brought up the Ryan Mallet scenario, considering all the flags dropped your golden boy to the 3rd, while Percy managed to somehow stick in the 1st round and live up to the billing. He has issues off the field, for sure, but his time at Florida was very inductive to a team player. I'm lucky to have several connections to Percy Harvin and those who played with him, and I remember the main concern out of high school. Percy was a "me" player. He'd do whatever he wanted and he would demand his catches as a wide receiver. I even was able to speak to his high school coach in Norfolk Virginia at a lecture at TCC, which is across the street from Percy's high school.

He's not a golden boy but wanting Ryan Mallet on your team with the same breath as berating Percy Harvin as a bad teammate strikes me as... hypocritical. (I say this with the utmost respect CK, I absolutely love your write ups and blogs.)

But that's a de-rail from the thread so I'll leave it at that. This is all moot, as Miami won't make the trade. Period. This trade has the makings of a team that has... "Madden" like tendencies... like the New York Jets, Oakland Raiders, New England Patriots... teams that make crazy moves with a degree of regularity.

Thank you for trying to lump me into someone who just checks his stats and think the guy must be good. It's always nice to have a debate where someone immediately brushes you off like that. Makes me want to take you seriously :rolleyes: It's like you flat out ignored what I said and then strawman'd me with things I never really said, and repeating a couple of things I DID say!

Anyways as I previously stated, he is by no means a TERRIBLE route runner. That's what you said, isn't it? A TERRIBLE route runner? I said he's by no means a technician. You're moving the goal posts to fit your argument which is a pretty dishonest way to handle a discussion. I didn't say "Percy Harvin has 900 yards and 6 TDs how are you going to say he's a poor route runner!?"... I gave actual analysis of what he does. He doesn't abandon his routes (hence the "Go Cowboy" mantra) nor does he really cut them off (the worst of offenses, IMO, just look at Bernard Berrian and how many QBs he gets in trouble by doing that). You're correct, he's not crisp in anything he does, and his footwork leaves a lot to be desired, but as stated, he's simply a play maker.

Miami doesn't make a move for him, no way no how. They don't want to give up the picks, and his concerns on the field (migraines) are too much to deal with.
I made a general statement about people looking at stats and thinking that a guy is good. If it was directed at you I would have said "you probably looked at his stats and thought he was good"...not what I said.

As far as his route running, it is terrible and that's what I said. Someone with his speed that can't gain separation doesn't run good routes. Like I said, he has a knack for finding soft spots in zones and sitting in them until the QB finds him. Against man coverage he gets shutdown. I'll never forget Brett Favre explaining to the OC in his last season, on the sidelines during a game, how Harvin was trying to juke a guy by shaking his head and didn't run a good route. It was comical.

yeah harvins got all the tools to create consistent separation...the route running is a problem...he's got great hips and cod quick acceleration and soft hands...

yeah harvins got all the tools to create consistent separation...the route running is a problem...he's got great hips and cod quick acceleration and soft hands...
He's got ridiculous short area quickness too. He's not like Ginn who needed 15 yards to get up to speed.

Back
Top Bottom