PFF: Dolphins defense ranked #1, special teams ranked #1 ??? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFF: Dolphins defense ranked #1, special teams ranked #1 ???

The Chicago Bears defense has more int's for TD's than the Dolphins have passing TD's.

PFF does rank Miami as the #1 D Overall. They rank the Phins as #1 vs the run, #5 in pass rush, #3 in coverage, and #1 in penalties.

I have always thought it was good to know, and understand, what one was criticizing before doing so. As I do not believe anyone taking shots knows what they are taking shots at, I will try to explain, with the penalty part self explanatory.

PFF does not grade a D on yardage or big plays given up. They grade every player on the 60-70 plays he is on the field, good, bad, and indifferent. Then, they take that players grade, and add them to other player's grades, to come up with a team's ranking.

For example, if Jones gives up a 40 yard TD, he gets a very bad grade for that play. However, he may have done well on the other 59 plays or so, and have a good overall game.

The coverage ranking is based on how well a DB or LB covered a receiver (both are included). If a defender had VG coverage, and a receiver made a VG play, they are not given a negative grade, which makes sense to me.

This is NOT NFL or ESPN rankings, which are based on yardage and nothing else. It is different, and takes some time to get used to. :)

PFF has Dolphins ranked 3rd in Pass Coverage. The only players receiving a negative grade are Karlos Dansby, Nolan Carrol and Jimmy Wilson.

Miami is listed as #1 D directly above Seattle, Chicago, San Fran and Texans on PFF's Grading System

WTF. :bobdole:

PFF loses whatever little credibility they had with me for having the balls to post this to their website. Come on man. Common sense needs to be applied here.

PFF has Dolphins ranked 3rd in Pass Coverage. The only players receiving a negative grade are Karlos Dansby, Nolan Carrol and Jimmy Wilson.

And the positive grades went to Jones, Burnett, Clemons, Smith, and Marshall. The rest were average.

Looks like Omar might be padding their pockets, but Sean Smith is ranked at #17 overall CB.

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

Now, Marshall is out so the overall is skewed somewhat.

WTF. :bobdole:

PFF loses whatever little credibility they had with me for having the balls to post this to their website. Come on man. Common sense needs to be applied here.

How would you rank the Dolphins secondary and LB's based on what you have seen in their coverage on about 300 plays or so? :)

1. Bears
2. Texans

Us... idk but we don't come close to touching those teams. Before the Colts torched us, I'd say top 10-15

PFF does rank Miami as the #1 D Overall. They rank the Phins as #1 vs the run, #5 in pass rush, #3 in coverage, and #1 in penalties.

I have always thought it was good to know, and understand, what one was criticizing before doing so. As I do not believe anyone taking shots knows what they are taking shots at, I will try to explain, with the penalty part self explanatory.

PFF does not grade a D on yardage or big plays given up. They grade every player on the 60-70 plays he is on the field, good, bad, and indifferent. Then, they take that players grade, and add them to other player's grades, to come up with a team's ranking.

For example, if Jones gives up a 40 yard TD, he gets a very bad grade for that play. However, he may have done well on the other 59 plays or so, and have a good overall game.

The coverage ranking is based on how well a DB or LB covered a receiver (both are included). If a defender had VG coverage, and a receiver made a VG play, they are not given a negative grade, which makes sense to me.

This is NOT NFL or ESPN rankings, which are based on yardage and nothing else. It is different, and takes some time to get used to. :)

Good explanation on how they arrive at that conclusion. In this case it just proves for us, the total is far less than the sum of the parts. If they have us as the number 1, they clearly need to go back to the drawing board on how to rank a defense.

The overreaction to positive news about this team, just blows my mind. Yardage doesn't mean ****, if you are still in the top 5 in points allowed. We had just one horrible outing, not counting the Texans since we had 4 turnovers and gave them a short field. You're not top 5 in points allowed if you're not doing so many other things right! 3 OF OUR LOSSES OUR BY 3 POINTS OR LESS WHY WAS THAT ?

PFF does rank Miami as the #1 D Overall. They rank the Phins as #1 vs the run, #5 in pass rush, #3 in coverage, and #1 in penalties.?? WHAT THE **** DO YALL THINK THAT ADDS UP TO? STOP ACTING LIkE A BUNCH OF BITCHES AFTER EVERY LOSS, WE ARE A GOOD TEAM THAT'S GOING TO GET BETTER. I'VE POSTED ALL THE CATEGORIES WHERE WE ARE IN RANKED #1 OR IN THE TOP 3 AND THE TOP #1O. THIS IS NOT SURPRISING AT ALL.

Last edited by a moderator:
as an old saying goes..

"... statistics are to coach as a lamp post is to a drunk..."

and I struggle with that saying as I rely on stats a lot..

Hey, buddy??!? The bears haven't played no one!!!!!!!! They got beat by the only team with a winning record That they played, the packers, there next 6 are tteams with winning records, so in my opinion bug whoop. The bears D have bean know for at least 8 Yeats for being very good at stripping the ball and causing fumbles, so im
not surprised by that.

Back
Top Bottom