PFT Article on Ireland

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Hayden Fox, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...lks-sparks-speculation-about-irelands-future/

More speculation, but it mentions something I brought up early this week. The lack on major contracts going forward could be that Ross has not committed to Ireland for the future. I understand the team did not want "jealousy" in the locker room if deals got done. However, if the team really wanted a guy they would attempt to keep him if they could.

Should be an interesting few weeks.

2. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Sure hope this is true.

3. Hayden Fox

The Ireland talk is heating up nationally. Interesting nonetheless.

4. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

He's got to go. I don't trust him to draft the skill players we need. He's a cornfed defensive line GM.

5. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

What was that article he was quoted in the other day, about the 49ers? He starts waxing on about how great the talent is on that team and the group he singles out is the offensive line.

I couldn't help but laugh.

6. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

The key line is

7. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP

Seems like people are going to see what they want to see

8. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

The lack of long term signings is normal at this time of the season. That part of the story is a non factor IMHO. What is sinking Ireland is the loss of revenue from poor ticket sales due to predictable, boring, and losing teams. He has been a part of this organization since 2008 and other than that magical Pennington (who deserves all the credit) year, this team has been spiraling downward. The draft picks have been bizarre in some cases, and in others addressed positions with high picks that could have been filled with mid round players. The lack of team speed and skill players is really shocking. As i watch Seattle, San Francisco, Indy and other teams that got out of the basement in the last year or two, the common thread is team speed and play makers. Ireland(and sadly his staff and scouting department) has no eye for talent. Plain and simple.
    Ireland is holding this team back. Ross is a smart man, but his patience is probably running out. He gave him another season(2012) and we are no closer to the playoffs than last year. Ireland must be replaced.

9. flynryan15

flynryan15 A True Fan Donator

I think Ross has made it clear evaluations after the season

10. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

The writing is on the wall, Ireland is very likely going to be back next season. Any speculation that he won't be back is exactly that, speculation. All indications/sources/reports/etc. have him coming back next year and I don't think anything the final two weeks is going to change that. Time to just accept it.

11. Casas9425

Casas9425 A True Fan

12. SuperMarksBros.

SuperMarksBros. Formerly Fiedler for MVP

Sadly, Florio is just speculating.

13. Hayden Fox

Already posted.

14. flynryan15

flynryan15 A True Fan Donator

Not true he gave Trunsik an extension

15. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

Just speculation but wouldn't put it past Ross to give Philbin his guy at GM.

16. Miamifinz

Miamifinz Philbin is an idiot Donator

I hope that's a possibility. It's amazing that he got us to 6 wins with one of the worst offseasons I've seen

17. Hayden Fox

I do not think this qualifies as a big signing. Fields is in the same boat.

18. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Sadly our owner has shown he will hang onto the victories such as the Jags game instead of focusing on the beatdown the Titans and others gave us.

Ive been very vocal about my displeasure over Ireland. I have looked at his record and found it appalling. Im not pleased that this is the worst period of time in close to 50 years. 4 years of losing is unacceptable to me, though apparently much of the fanbase disagrees.

Despite all that, ive maintained he will be here next offseason. When Ross gave Tony Sparano a contract extension, he made it clear merit had nothing to do with job status. Ireland remains not because he deserves it, but because our owner(despite being wildly successful in his field of expertise) doesnt understand this league. And anyone who roots for the Miami Dolphins and not just the people who currently occupy the front office should be disappointed.

19. Tureo

Tureo Seasoned Veteran

So it's only speculation to suggest he may be fired but it's a fact that he'll be retained?

20. Nublar7

I think the biggest reason why Ireland was retained after the 2011 season was because Ross wanted to have some continuity and stability in the orgranization. Whether that turns out well or not remains to be seen. His advisors, including Carl Peterson, told him you can't build a winning program with constant change. I think it is pretty clear that Ross didn't want to completely blow it up and start over and just wanted to continue to build on what is already here. I also think he has blamed a lot of the mistakes over the past few years on Parcells and Sparano and sees Ireland as having his hands tied on a lot of decisions. Ross never seemed to be sold on Sparano as the head coach and now that he has "his" head coach he can move on to accomplishing his goal of building a winning franchise. I think the biggest reason why Ireland is likely going to return in 2013 is again for continuity and stability in the front office. If he truly gave Ireland a "clean slate" after Sparano was fired, one offseason really isn't enough to judge Ireland on. I understand the whole "he has been here for 5 years" argument, but the situation if far more compelx and not as simple minded as that.

21. Zounds

Zounds A True Fan Donator

It was reported several weeks back that they were talking contract with Hartline. I think that counts.

What this article really points to is those free agents not returning, but Florio interprets that as Ireland not returning. I think he's got it backwards.

22. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

he should have fired Ireland last year but he handicapped himself and his coach. I agree he will be back mainly because Ross is a poor owner, I mean look at the Harbaugh fiasco

23. Nublar7

Nothing is ever 100% fact until it happens or there is concrete proof. However, reading the tea leaves and everything that is being relayed by members of the media including Ben Volin, Armando Salguero and Omar Kelly say all indications are that he returns. There is absolutley no reports or sources saying he is on the hot seat or that Ross is even considering it. Everything that has been reported actually says the opposite of that. What Florio wrote is indeed speculation, in fact, he even admits it in his story.

24. Nublar7

Whether he should have been fired last offseason will be debated for a long time, but obviously Ross sees something in him or likes the long term plan that he has put on the table. Also being advised by NFL people to have continuity and stability in the front office played a big role in why he didn't completely clean house.

I don't think Ross is a "poor owner", I think he is an owner that wants to win that made a couple early mistakes in his tenure. Mistakes that he appears to have learned from in some cases. Ireland will be back because I think it was always the plan to bring him back. I think it would have taken a colossal failure of a season(like a 1-4 win team) for Ireland not to return in 2013.

25. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

t has

He was owner for three years before the Harbaugh fiasco, what has Ross done that makes him a good owner but to each their own

26. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Finheaven VIP

Seems like to me people need something to write about. Ireland may in fact get canned but it has nothing to do with contract extensions and I can guarantee a conversation between Ross and Ireland didn't play out as Florio suggests, anyone who has spent anytime in big business knows when the axe man comes a knocking you get about 24 hours notice if lucky and up until that point you carry on business as usually.

If Ireland goes It will be sooner rather than later but my guess is he doesn't go at all. I might be wrong but I am unaware of any contracts being extended during the Dolphins regular season since Parcells took over in 2008 and if there was it certainly hasn't been anymore than 1 or 2 contracts.

27. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

Hmmm... Interesting theory.

28. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Which further proves my point of Ross not understanding the business of this league. In a business in which revenue is overwhelmingly created from obtaining consistent victories, perserving mediocrity works against your best interests as an owner. While change for the sake of change is madness, an unwillingless to change in the face of constant defeat is equally mad. Stability only matters when you are perserving wins. For every case like the Texans, which their owner saw overwhelming talent and knew defensive coaching was the problem, there are multiple cases such as the Eric Mangini Browns or the Gene Smith run Jags, with "stability" not mattering at all and the owner regretting not making a change.

As for the rest of your paragraph, werent you just accusing people of speculation? The only thing we know is that Ross signed Tony Sparano to an extension when it was apparent to everyone that was a horrific mistake, and now he is keeping Ireland because, by all accounts, "he see's progress". Whether you or I see that same progress is up for debate. The only thing that matters in the NFL is wins, and there hasnt been progress on that account at all. A point that Ross seems to have missed.

29. SizzlingFins04

SizzlingFins04 The Futures of the NFL

I want ireland fired just as much as anyone but the fact of the matter is if ireland were to be replaced this year its going to be carl peterson taking the reigns and that doesn't seem to promising for us either.

30. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

How is that a fact?

Please post the evidence to support your assumption that Peterson would be hired in Irelands place.

31. Miamifinz

Miamifinz Philbin is an idiot Donator

What the **** has Ireland done to give us promise then?

32. crashfan

crashfan Super Donator Super Donator Donator

I think we have soomeone inhouse (Gaines) who would step in, do a great job, and keep continuaty within the organization. The biggest improvement in players last offseason is one that happened and one that didn't happen. The selection of Tannehill and the non-signing of Flynn. I have a feeling those two decisions were made by Philbin and Sherman. Not Ireland who is responsible for making those decisions.

33. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

florio selling to disgruntled's. Nothing new here.

34. BG12DM13CP10

BG12DM13CP10 Well-Known Member

I would be willing to lose the rest of our games and not make the playoffs if that would assure Ireland's demise.

35. metalman32060

metalman32060 Misplaced PhinFan

And besides what would everyone have to ***** about if Ireland was gone?