PFT Article on Ireland | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFT Article on Ireland

Sadly our owner has shown he will hang onto the victories such as the Jags game instead of focusing on the beatdown the Titans and others gave us.

Ive been very vocal about my displeasure over Ireland. I have looked at his record and found it appalling. Im not pleased that this is the worst period of time in close to 50 years. 4 years of losing is unacceptable to me, though apparently much of the fanbase disagrees.

Despite all that, ive maintained he will be here next offseason. When Ross gave Tony Sparano a contract extension, he made it clear merit had nothing to do with job status. Ireland remains not because he deserves it, but because our owner(despite being wildly successful in his field of expertise) doesnt understand this league. And anyone who roots for the Miami Dolphins and not just the people who currently occupy the front office should be disappointed.

So it's only speculation to suggest he may be fired but it's a fact that he'll be retained?

Sadly our owner has shown he will hang onto the victories such as the Jags game instead of focusing on the beatdown the Titans and others gave us.

Ive been very vocal about my displeasure over Ireland. I have looked at his record and found it appalling. Im not pleased that this is the worst period of time in close to 50 years. 4 years of losing is unacceptable to me, though apparently much of the fanbase disagrees.

Despite all that, ive maintained he will be here next offseason. When Ross gave Tony Sparano a contract extension, he made it clear merit had nothing to do with job status. Ireland remains not because he deserves it, but because our owner(despite being wildly successful in his field of expertise) doesnt understand this league. And anyone who roots for the Miami Dolphins and not just the people who currently occupy the front office should be disappointed.

I think the biggest reason why Ireland was retained after the 2011 season was because Ross wanted to have some continuity and stability in the orgranization. Whether that turns out well or not remains to be seen. His advisors, including Carl Peterson, told him you can't build a winning program with constant change. I think it is pretty clear that Ross didn't want to completely blow it up and start over and just wanted to continue to build on what is already here. I also think he has blamed a lot of the mistakes over the past few years on Parcells and Sparano and sees Ireland as having his hands tied on a lot of decisions. Ross never seemed to be sold on Sparano as the head coach and now that he has "his" head coach he can move on to accomplishing his goal of building a winning franchise. I think the biggest reason why Ireland is likely going to return in 2013 is again for continuity and stability in the front office. If he truly gave Ireland a "clean slate" after Sparano was fired, one offseason really isn't enough to judge Ireland on. I understand the whole "he has been here for 5 years" argument, but the situation if far more compelx and not as simple minded as that.

I do not think this qualifies as a big signing. Fields is in the same boat.

It was reported several weeks back that they were talking contract with Hartline. I think that counts.

What this article really points to is those free agents not returning, but Florio interprets that as Ireland not returning. I think he's got it backwards.

I think the biggest reason why Ireland was retained after the 2011 season was because Ross wanted to have some continuity and stability in the orgranization. Whether that turns out well or not remains to be seen. His advisors, including Carl Peterson, told him you can't build a winning program with constant change. I think it is pretty clear that Ross didn't want to completely blow it up and start over and just wanted to continue to build on what is already here. I also think he has blamed a lot of the mistakes over the past few years on Parcells and Sparano and sees Ireland as having his hands tied on a lot of decisions. Ross never seemed to be sold on Sparano as the head coach and now that he has "his" head coach he can move on to accomplishing his goal of building a winning franchise. I think the biggest reason why Ireland is likely going to return in 2013 is again for continuity and stability in the front office. If he truly gave Ireland a "clean slate" after Sparano was fired, one offseason really isn't enough to judge Ireland on. I understand the whole "he has been here for 5 years" argument, but the situation if far more compelx and not as simple minded as that.

he should have fired Ireland last year but he handicapped himself and his coach. I agree he will be back mainly because Ross is a poor owner, I mean look at the Harbaugh fiasco

So it's only speculation to suggest he may be fired but it's a fact that he'll be retained?

Nothing is ever 100% fact until it happens or there is concrete proof. However, reading the tea leaves and everything that is being relayed by members of the media including Ben Volin, Armando Salguero and Omar Kelly say all indications are that he returns. There is absolutley no reports or sources saying he is on the hot seat or that Ross is even considering it. Everything that has been reported actually says the opposite of that. What Florio wrote is indeed speculation, in fact, he even admits it in his story.

he should have fired Ireland last year but he handicapped himself and his coach. I agree he will be back mainly because Ross is a poor owner, I mean look at the Harbaugh fiasco

Whether he should have been fired last offseason will be debated for a long time, but obviously Ross sees something in him or likes the long term plan that he has put on the table. Also being advised by NFL people to have continuity and stability in the front office played a big role in why he didn't completely clean house.

I don't think Ross is a "poor owner", I think he is an owner that wants to win that made a couple early mistakes in his tenure. Mistakes that he appears to have learned from in some cases. Ireland will be back because I think it was always the plan to bring him back. I think it would have taken a colossal failure of a season(like a 1-4 win team) for Ireland not to return in 2013.

Whether he should have been fired last offseason will be debated for a long time, but obviously Ross sees something in him or likes the long term plan that he has put on the table. Also being advised by NFL people to have continuity and stability in the front office played a big role in why he didn't completely clean house.

I don't think Ross is a "poor owner", I think he is an owner that wants to win that made a couple early mistakes in his tenure. Mistakes that he appears to have learned from in some cases. Ireland will be back because I think it was always the plan to bring him back. I think it would have taken a colossal failure of a season(like a 1-4 win team) for Ireland not to return in 2013.
t has

He was owner for three years before the Harbaugh fiasco, what has Ross done that makes him a good owner but to each their own

Seems like to me people need something to write about. Ireland may in fact get canned but it has nothing to do with contract extensions and I can guarantee a conversation between Ross and Ireland didn't play out as Florio suggests, anyone who has spent anytime in big business knows when the axe man comes a knocking you get about 24 hours notice if lucky and up until that point you carry on business as usually.

If Ireland goes It will be sooner rather than later but my guess is he doesn't go at all. I might be wrong but I am unaware of any contracts being extended during the Dolphins regular season since Parcells took over in 2008 and if there was it certainly hasn't been anymore than 1 or 2 contracts.

Which further proves my point of Ross not understanding the business of this league. In a business in which revenue is overwhelmingly created from obtaining consistent victories, perserving mediocrity works against your best interests as an owner. While change for the sake of change is madness, an unwillingless to change in the face of constant defeat is equally mad. Stability only matters when you are perserving wins. For every case like the Texans, which their owner saw overwhelming talent and knew defensive coaching was the problem, there are multiple cases such as the Eric Mangini Browns or the Gene Smith run Jags, with "stability" not mattering at all and the owner regretting not making a change.

As for the rest of your paragraph, werent you just accusing people of speculation? The only thing we know is that Ross signed Tony Sparano to an extension when it was apparent to everyone that was a horrific mistake, and now he is keeping Ireland because, by all accounts, "he see's progress". Whether you or I see that same progress is up for debate. The only thing that matters in the NFL is wins, and there hasnt been progress on that account at all. A point that Ross seems to have missed.

I want ireland fired just as much as anyone but the fact of the matter is if ireland were to be replaced this year its going to be carl peterson taking the reigns and that doesn't seem to promising for us either.

I want ireland fired just as much as anyone but the fact of the matter is if ireland were to be replaced this year its going to be carl peterson taking the reigns and that doesn't seem to promising for us either.

How is that a fact?

Please post the evidence to support your assumption that Peterson would be hired in Irelands place.

Back
Top Bottom