PFW Whispers...Charlie Weis, Chris Foerster, Adam Viniateri, and more... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFW Whispers...Charlie Weis, Chris Foerster, Adam Viniateri, and more...

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought this one would be interesting, for all those Justin Smiley fans...

We're told the best position battle on the 49ers could be at right guard between second-round draft pick Justin Smiley and third-year pro Kyle Kosier. Our sources said Smiley's mano-a-mano battles with rookie DT Isaac Sopoaga were the highlight of the Niners' first minicamp. Kosier, meanwhile, added 10 pounds of muscle and looks a lot niftier than last season.

I just thought this would be interesting to those who really liked Smiley because you would think they'd just hand the job to him if he's the best guard in the draft. Would be really something if Kosier beat him.

We hear 49ers first-round pick Rashaun Woods looked lost at times in the team's first minicamp and struggled more often than not.

I know there were a few Rashaun Woods fans here. Keep in mind, I'm not saying you can judge how good a WR Woods will be just from mini-camp, but its a slight to mediocre indication usually of whether or not a guy is ready to contribute as a rookie...and one of the things Woods fans wanted was a rookie WR that could help immediately. According to PFW, Michael Clayton, on the other hand, has looked really impressive at Bucs' mini-camps and may be ready to contribute sooner rather than later...

The Chris Foerster hiring as Dolphins offensive coordinator following Joel Collier's resignation due to health-related problems raised eyebrows throughout the league, especially in Tampa Bay, where Foerster served as OL coach from 1996 to 2001. Ex-Bucs OG Ian Beckles, who hosts a radio talk show in Tampa, has been particularly critical of the Foerster hiring.

While the health issues that forced Joel Collier to quit the Dolphins' offensive coordinator job and return to his old job as Miami's RB coach are still unknown, we hear that he had been totally consumed with his new job, was working on off-days and had lost 15 pounds.

That was the major tidbit I wanted to share. I don't listen to sports radio much here in Tampa, because they tend to be pretty biased especially if they EVER mention the Miami Dolphins. The atmosphere around here is weird its like a little brother complex around here, Miami's been so good so long and Tampa's been so bad so long and now they've been good the last 6-7 years so they hate Miami. Ian Beckles, by the way, was not a good offensive lineman.

I think Collier's losing 15 pounds points even more toward health issues rather than this mysterious behind the scenes tension stuff. I still think there may have been tension between Collier and Trestman, but saying he was demoted for that reason to me is like saying a sprinter with a broken leg didn't run the race because he had a blister on his toe...sure, he may have actually had a blister, but if the leg wasn't broken he'd be running.

It's looking more and more like this is offensive coordinator Charlie Weis' last season with the Patriots, whether he gets a head-coaching job following this season or not. Even though head coach Bill Belichick and Weis are close friends, the Patriots recently balked at paying Weis a salary in line with other top assistants throughout the league and Weis has resigned himself to the fact that he will go elsewhere in 2005.

One last thing for Charlie Weis fans, just yet another tidbit about Weis leaving next year. I personally think he'll be offered a head coaching position though. Maybe ours. ;)

I personally think Weis would be a good head coach, people that disagree will point out that NE offense has just barely put up more points than ours. But more times than not they seem to put them up when the game is on the line, unlike ours who at the end of the year folded like a poker player with a high card hand of 5. Dont blame Feidler because if we didnt put the ball in Feidlers hands he couldnt have made the mistakes. While I think Jay is a average QB he still does some things well, our passing game should have been designed around what he can do not what we want to do. That is what made Weis great he allowed his players to do what they can do, and not what they were not able to do.

BTW to be fair on the Justin Smiley front, Len Pastabelli had this to say recently about Smiley...

Word from the Bay Area is that San Francisco second-round pick Justin Smiley, the guard from Alabama, was absolutely tossing defensive linemen around at the 49ers' recent minicamp. And, yeah, his victims included perennial Pro Bowl defensive tackle Bryant Young, who, even in decline, is still a pretty tough hombre. The 49ers have made a lot of low-priced moves to bring in some veterans to patch the line. But the best move they seem to have made, and one that should pay dividends for a long time, was taking Smiley off the board with the 46th overall selection.

So its a matter of which you believe, PFW seemed to suggest that Smiley and Kosier are neck and neck for the starting job, but if you read Pastabelli's take on it, Smiley is the next Larry Allen. For Smiley's sake, I hope the latter is true. He's a true blue football player. He would have looked good as a Dolphin, but sitting there at pick #20, I take Vernon Carey.

Well, Weiss didn't look all that hot when Bledsoe was running that offense. Then again, chicken salad, etc.

good post CK. keep in mind here, that it is may and Smiley may be a results kind of guy from the get go while probowlers dont give a damn right now. I dont really mind not drafting smiley though cus we needed a T more IMO but it would not surprise me to see him start and flourish right from the start. Im also glad we did not draft a WR becuase i think we have two probowler types and i think we will have a good WR core in the end. I am a Rashaun Woods fan but i felt we needed Oline more cus i ussually takes a couple of years for a Great WR to develope. i cant see why the same wont be for Woods as well.

ckparrothead said:
I thought this one would be interesting, for all those Justin Smiley fans...

I just thought this would be interesting to those who really liked Smiley because you would think they'd just hand the job to him if he's the best guard in the draft. Would be really something if Kosier beat him.

I know there were a few Rashaun Woods fans here. Keep in mind, I'm not saying you can judge how good a WR Woods will be just from mini-camp, but its a slight to mediocre indication usually of whether or not a guy is ready to contribute as a rookie...and one of the things Woods fans wanted was a rookie WR that could help immediately. According to PFW, Michael Clayton, on the other hand, has looked really impressive at Bucs' mini-camps and may be ready to contribute sooner rather than later...

That was the major tidbit I wanted to share. I don't listen to sports radio much here in Tampa, because they tend to be pretty biased especially if they EVER mention the Miami Dolphins. The atmosphere around here is weird its like a little brother complex around here, Miami's been so good so long and Tampa's been so bad so long and now they've been good the last 6-7 years so they hate Miami. Ian Beckles, by the way, was not a good offensive lineman.

I think Collier's losing 15 pounds points even more toward health issues rather than this mysterious behind the scenes tension stuff. I still think there may have been tension between Collier and Trestman, but saying he was demoted for that reason to me is like saying a sprinter with a broken leg didn't run the race because he had a blister on his toe...sure, he may have actually had a blister, but if the leg wasn't broken he'd be running.

One last thing for Charlie Weis fans, just yet another tidbit about Weis leaving next year. I personally think he'll be offered a head coaching position though. Maybe ours. ;)

Now CK, how can that be? Once we win a SB with Wanny of course we'll be honored to have him as our HC.
;)

Fins2theend said:
I personally think Weis would be a good head coach, people that disagree will point out that NE offense has just barely put up more points than ours. But more times than not they seem to put them up when the game is on the line, unlike ours who at the end of the year folded like a poker player with a high card hand of 5. Dont blame Feidler because if we didnt put the ball in Feidlers hands he couldnt have made the mistakes. While I think Jay is a average QB he still does some things well, our passing game should have been designed around what he can do not what we want to do. That is what made Weis great he allowed his players to do what they can do, and not what they were not able to do.

Brilliant post. "They seem to put them up when the game is on the line," is exactly on point. As is the fact that he maximizes the potential of his players and puts them in position to succeed. Imagine that.

ckparrothead said:
BTW to be fair on the Justin Smiley front, Len Pastabelli had this to say recently about Smiley...

So its a matter of which you believe, PFW seemed to suggest that Smiley and Kosier are neck and neck for the starting job, but if you read Pastabelli's take on it, Smiley is the next Larry Allen. For Smiley's sake, I hope the latter is true. He's a true blue football player. He would have looked good as a Dolphin, but sitting there at pick #20, I take Vernon Carey.

How is a report that a rookie is neck and neck for the starting job with a vet OL a negative? :confused:

Sorry Parrot but I don't see "contrasting" opinions here.
BOTH articles seem to me to be praising the job Smiley is doing.
How you got a negative out of the first article I don't know.

To say a rookie is handling vet D tackles in practice so well this early on that he is neck and neck with a veteran OL for the starting job says nothing but good for the rookie dosen't it???

I still would have loved to traded down and potentially gotten 2 OL Smiley and Grove which I think would have been a better "Value". However, Carey could turn out to be a very good OL and it was a good pick, just not a best case scenario IMO.

ckparrothead said:

--Word from the Bay Area is that San Francisco second-round pick Justin Smiley, the guard from Alabama, was absolutely tossing defensive linemen around at the 49ers' recent minicamp. --
My question is its a mini camp where they are wearing shorts. How in the heck can Len go around promoting someone when the pads are not on?

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
what would the point of getting Smiley and Grove?

Ummm....

2 potential Pro Bowl OL compared to one with the same pick.
Not saying they will be pro bowl OL but the 2 have the potential, are aggressive and talented OL. 2 star OL from trading down would give better value than 1 star OL. Like I said Carey is a good pick. I am a fan of value though and getting the most bang for your buck. Smiley and Grove both could have been had with a trade down. I would have chose that is all I'm saying.

Dphins4me said:
My question is its a mini camp where they are wearing shorts. How in the heck can Len go around promoting someone when the pads are not on?

I was wondering that too. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom