PFW Whispers...Charlie Weis, Chris Foerster, Adam Viniateri, and more... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFW Whispers...Charlie Weis, Chris Foerster, Adam Viniateri, and more...

Nice info... but this is all what ifs... its nice to see how these players that could have been dolphins are now doing and i am also am a r woods fan, ill stick with him till the end of the season to see wut he does...

Dphins4me said:
My question is its a mini camp where they are wearing shorts. How in the heck can Len go around promoting someone when the pads are not on?
exactly what i was thinking

NCFINFAN38 said:
Opps, didnt see you had already commented on the post there Majorcane. We had better not tell him TOO many times how great his post was, he may start up his own talk show. :lol:

As long as it isnt radio... I aim high I want my own TV show :lol:

All this talk of trading down and trading sideways.... I've not seen hardly any posts that support we COULD have traded down.

All the stories of teams bluffing us into trading up.... I haven't heard anything to suggest we were fielding calls to trade back. It might have been said, but I haven't read it. And, I don't mean... "some team called and asked about our pick". I want to know if any team offered us a good deal TO trade back.

Anyone know?

Oh, and CK, I kinda share your thoughts on the tackle position. However, I too was very eager to see us trade back and pick up 2 picks. I was hoping for a Grove and Snee combo. My thoughts were based on us replacing 4 lineman in one year. I felt 2 young stars was better than 1.

Especially since I felt we had already spent enough time and money on RT (St. Clair and Big Mac). I KNOW both are cheap this year. However, we did commit 2 FA signings to the position. Even if Big Mac was a PR mess and we tried to smooth it over. We still committed a spot to him on the team. That makes me believe we HOPED he would eventually be our RT.

Which further made me feel we should address Grove and Snee to add depth/flexibility to a young line. And give us more options on the interior.

ckparrothead said:
The Chris Foerster hiring as Dolphins offensive coordinator following Joel Collier's resignation due to health-related problems raised eyebrows throughout the league, especially in Tampa Bay, where Foerster served as OL coach from 1996 to 2001. Ex-Bucs OG Ian Beckles, who hosts a radio talk show in Tampa, has been particularly critical of the Foerster hiring.

While the health issues that forced Joel Collier to quit the Dolphins' offensive coordinator job and return to his old job as Miami's RB coach are still unknown, we hear that he had been totally consumed with his new job, was working on off-days and had lost 15 pounds.

I struggle to find peace with myself during a little league season. I'd be absolutley miserable if it was a full time job. I imagine that most of the league coordinators are miserable people.

It's like kids in little league baseball. They all want to be on the pitchers mound.........until they get there.

My problem is that in essentially getting three guys (all question marks) for one position, we didn't plan or prepare well.

Vernon Carey isn't a question mark. When a tackle (a RIGHT tackle no less, not a left tackle) gets taken #19 overall it tells you a few things. One is that he is not viewed as a "hit or miss" guy. Another is that he probably has a good chance of being able to play relatively soon. Its not like when you are drafting a left tackle. Left tackles are drafted high for their "potential" as often or more often than they are drafted for their ability to play immediately. LT is just that important of a single position (almost as important as QB, maybe more important than RB or WR because there's only one LT...depending on your defensive style, could be more important than most or all defensive positions). So you see a bunch of Kwame Harris's and George Fosters getting drafted in the first round, with teams knowing they probably won't be able to contribute right away (Harris very raw and Foster injured). But when you see a guy drafted high that is slated for right tackle and right tackle only (Andrews, Carey) that usually isn't based as much on potential. With Andrews I think the potential is massive its the work ethic he needs to work on. With Carey he's got the work ethic I think.

A year from now I don't view Carey as a question mark. He's a starter. A pretty good starter at that. And that is what you should expect from a #19 pick right tackle.

As for why did we sign D-Mac and St Clair? Honestly, we didn't expect D-Mac to be injured. Its that simple, it changed our entire offseason when we found out he was injured. We were going to sign him and he was going to replace Todd Wade without much if any drop off in the level of play (maybe better pass protection, not as talented as Todd in the run)...and then we'd use our draft to get a WR. Then his injury showed up and it screwed up our plans. If you look at the timing of the whole thing, it was immediately after we found out about D-Mac's injury, that the whole David Boston thing first started leaking. There was no overlap, so it would not surprise me at all if Rick Spielman and AJ Smith first mentioned the words "David Boston" to each other, in a conversation involving what the Chargers know about D-Mac's injury. Spielman just switched to ok we'll grab a good WR, and draft a RT...that quickly.

Problem was we already signed on the dotted line when we found out about D-Mac's injury. Sure, we COULD have just tossed him completely and said injured we don't want ya, contract is null and void because we put in special language that make it so. Then, D-Mac and his agent would have filed a grievance, taken the Dolphins to a long, drawn out arbitration that would have smattered more egg on our face than we already had for the Marino incident, because we were dumb enough to sign on the dotted line before doing extensive medical tests ourselves, or waiting to hear back from the Raiders, who DID do extensive medical testing.

So our "settlement" was to sign McIntosh to a contract much less costly than the original, with only a $300k signing bonus, and plenty of roster bonuses if he sticks. Since that time, we have virtually acted as if he does not even exist on our roster. Read the writing on the wall. That $300k could end up being virtually a $300k payoff to keep D-Mac's agent quiet. Its not that we would LOSE the arbitration, its the process we wanted to avoid (the same reason big corporations often settle out of court for lower amounts even though they know they could win).

So, if you tossed D-Mac out the window right now, pretended we didn't get him, what do you have? You have us signing a veteran who has played the RT position before, and drafting a rookie at #19 who should be able to play pretty soon. Is that not in line with what you would expect to see? Now if you think about the backup LT position, we also have nobody that could adequately fill in for Wade Smith...so when D-Mac gets back, that will be his job, backing up Smith and probably Carey.

The problem is that many here saw that we signed D-Mac anyway and they assumed it was the same as before we knew he had the injury. Boomer use to do this a lot too, act as if D-Mac was the Dolphins' answer at RT. He's not. Once we found out about the injury we practically disregarded him IMO. And...not for nothing, but if Carey or St Clair go down with a long-term injury, and D-Mac recovers nicely from his injury (both very big IFs) we will be very glad that Spielman had the foresight to spend merely $300k on an insurance policy in case those things happened.

Also, it could break down to one simple thing. Since Spielman joined this team prior to the 2001 season, 2 out of his 3 seasons here, an injury at LT has destroyed this team's ability to pass protect. Thats 2 entire seasons, out of only 3! In 2001 we had Brent Smith go down the first day of training camp. We ended up with Spencer Folau and Marcus Spriggs...and our protection was AWEFUL. In 2003, well, we all know what happened there.

So if Spielman errs on the safe side this offseason, I suppose you'll have to forgive him.

Let's suppose for a moment that D-Mac is not hurt. Do the Dolphins still trade up for Carey?

I can't agree that a 1st round guy is not a question mark. Kenyatta Walker anyone? He came out with much better ratings than Carey.

Well, let's hope Carey turns out to be special, because it is all water under the bridge now.

There's plenty of first round tackle busts. Tony Mandarich anyone? How about Aaron Gibson? Gosh we have our own what was the name of that dude we drafted that sucked...anyway. Walker was a LT candidate, drafted for his potential, he played RT in college and never could make that switch in the pros. In the pros, he's a one dimensional pass protector at RT. Nobody wants that, they want a road grating mammoth at RT. He once said about making the switch from right to left "If you're right handed, and you've been writing with your right hand all your life, then you try writing with your left, you don't write too well do you?" or something of that sentiment. The switch was the major factor for him. He just could not play as well at left tackle as he could at right tackle. He needs to block as a RT for like, a left hander like Mike Vick...thats what he needs to be effective.

Point is there's busts all over the place. There's a few RT candidates like Carey taken in the first round that sucked, but there's plenty more at every other position that have done the same thing in the first round, and there's faaaaar more 2nd, 3rd, 4th and down guys that were drafted and never did anything in their career. Drafting a guy at #19 who looks like an excellent RT candidate, still gives you a very good shot at getting that good RT player.

And no, if McIntosh was not injured, we would not have even drafted Carey at #20. We would have concentrated on WR...and we might not have grabbed David Boston. What would have happened then is we may still have gone after St. Clair but just as a backup at RT, and along the interior, with McIntosh able to play LT should Wade Smith go down, and St Clair sliding into RT. But the point is moot. D-Mac is injured, the coaches know about it, and they've almost completely disregarded his presence as they've executed their offseason.

Back
Top Bottom