PFW Whispers...Charlie Weis, Chris Foerster, Adam Viniateri, and more... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFW Whispers...Charlie Weis, Chris Foerster, Adam Viniateri, and more...

Trekbiz said:
Ummm....

2 potential Pro Bowl OL compared to one with the same pick.
Not saying they will be pro bowl OL but the 2 have the potential, are aggressive and talented OL. 2 star OL from trading down would give better value than 1 star OL. Like I said Carey is a good pick. I am a fan of value though and getting the most bang for your buck. Smiley and Grove both could have been had with a trade down. I would have chose that is all I'm saying.

only one of them would play next year.

only one of them would play next year.

And I would rather have one pro bowl tackle than a pro bowl guard and a pro bowl center. Sorry, just the tackle position is twice as valuable, to me.

Anyway, Justin Smiley was a 2nd round pick, almost broke into the first round, and was touted as the best guard in the draft. Yes, you would think the team that drafted him would already have a starting job set aside for him, specifically because its the guard position and not the tackle position. But, that first article suggested that this Kosier guy is neck and neck with him...whereas, Chris Snee for instance, has basically already been handed the starting job in New York.

ckparrothead said:
And I would rather have one pro bowl tackle than a pro bowl guard and a pro bowl center. Sorry, just the tackle position is twice as valuable, to me.

Anyway, Justin Smiley was a 2nd round pick, almost broke into the first round, and was touted as the best guard in the draft. Yes, you would think the team that drafted him would already have a starting job set aside for him, specifically because its the guard position and not the tackle position. But, that first article suggested that this Kosier guy is neck and neck with him...whereas, Chris Snee for instance, has basically already been handed the starting job in New York.

I agree on you on that one, a tackle is a more immediate need than the Guard position. Usually a team can fill out the Guard position if it were to move a good tackle in their Roster to the guard psoition but those moves are done in desperate moves or when the staff knows that the player can play guard. I knew smiley was going to be a good player in the nfl. he had some bright days in college and was on the dolphins board all along this draft.

juniorseau55 said:
I agree on you on that one, a tackle is a more immediate need than the Guard position. Usually a team can fill out the Guard position if it were to move a good tackle in their Roster to the guard psoition but those moves are done in desperate moves or when the staff knows that the player can play guard. I knew smiley was going to be a good player in the nfl. he had some bright days in college and was on the dolphins board all along this draft.
Nice post, JS55. Your commitment to use care in your posts was welcomed. Good to have you back.:)

ckparrothead said:
I thought this one would be interesting, for all those Justin Smiley fans...

I just thought this would be interesting to those who really liked Smiley because you would think they'd just hand the job to him if he's the best guard in the draft. Would be really something if Kosier beat him.

I know there were a few Rashaun Woods fans here. Keep in mind, I'm not saying you can judge how good a WR Woods will be just from mini-camp, but its a slight to mediocre indication usually of whether or not a guy is ready to contribute as a rookie...and one of the things Woods fans wanted was a rookie WR that could help immediately. According to PFW, Michael Clayton, on the other hand, has looked really impressive at Bucs' mini-camps and may be ready to contribute sooner rather than later...

That was the major tidbit I wanted to share. I don't listen to sports radio much here in Tampa, because they tend to be pretty biased especially if they EVER mention the Miami Dolphins. The atmosphere around here is weird its like a little brother complex around here, Miami's been so good so long and Tampa's been so bad so long and now they've been good the last 6-7 years so they hate Miami. Ian Beckles, by the way, was not a good offensive lineman.

I think Collier's losing 15 pounds points even more toward health issues rather than this mysterious behind the scenes tension stuff. I still think there may have been tension between Collier and Trestman, but saying he was demoted for that reason to me is like saying a sprinter with a broken leg didn't run the race because he had a blister on his toe...sure, he may have actually had a blister, but if the leg wasn't broken he'd be running.

One last thing for Charlie Weis fans, just yet another tidbit about Weis leaving next year. I personally think he'll be offered a head coaching position though. Maybe ours. ;)

Nice post CK ....

clear.gif

Marino1983

ckparrothead said:

I had the Dolphins drafting Smiley in the second round....pick 44 if I'm remembering correctly(we got it from the Broncos)....Anyway, what I got from both articles is that Smiley is already turning heads, whether he's penciled in as a starter or not. This Kosier guy is a surprise from the tone of the first report.

Don't want to pat myself on the back but, I'm feeling pretty good about my draft.....because I had Smiley, but also I had Pope too. :cooldude:

ckparrothead said:
BTW to be fair on the Justin Smiley front, Len Pastabelli had this to say recently about Smiley...

So its a matter of which you believe, PFW seemed to suggest that Smiley and Kosier are neck and neck for the starting job, but if you read Pastabelli's take on it, Smiley is the next Larry Allen. For Smiley's sake, I hope the latter is true. He's a true blue football player. He would have looked good as a Dolphin, but sitting there at pick #20, I take Vernon Carey.

Would you? The Dolphins seem to be winging this offseason with little planning. If they were going to take Carey or Andrews, why sign big Mac and St. Clair. As it stands now. We have three questions at RT and no one to play guard unless we move Carey to guard, which we said we don't want to do or we move St. CLair after promising him a fair shot at RT.

I don't see how that is a better situation than trading down, getting an extra pick plugging in Smiley and then letting St. Clair and Mac fight for the RT position.

Let's see Smith James McKinney (Jerman?) (Carey, St. Clair, Mac)

or

Smith, James, McKinney, Smiley (St. CLair or Mac)

I like the bottom one along with another day 1 pick.

But, that's just me.

PhinKev said:
Would you? The Dolphins seem to be winging this offseason with little planning. If they were going to take Carey or Andrews, why sign big Mac and St. Clair. As it stands now. We have three questions at RT and no one to play guard unless we move Carey to guard, which we said we don't want to do or we move St. CLair after promising him a fair shot at RT.

I don't see how that is a better situation than trading down, getting an extra pick plugging in Smiley and then letting St. Clair and Mac fight for the RT position.

Let's see Smith James McKinney (Jerman?) (Carey, St. Clair, Mac)

or

Smith, James, McKinney, Smiley (St. CLair or Mac)

I like the bottom one along with another day 1 pick.

But, that's just me.

What would happen if Carey and Andrews were gone?

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
What would happen if Carey and Andrews were gone?

They were, or at least Rick believed it. He traded up to get Carey.

The trading down works either way.

PhinKev said:
They were, or at least Rick believed it. He traded up to get Carey.

The trading down works either way.

that doesn't answer my question

Dol-Fan Dupree said:

I think if Carey and Andrews were gone it is possible that miami would trade back to the bengals and picked up a second round pick. Having a pick late in the first and one of bengals second round pick. The bengals were likely going to pick one of the two picks ahead of them and were wiling to give up a 2nd round pick to get ahead but they ended up not doing that. We would have went for a wide receiver if im not wrong.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:

I guess the answer is it depends. If you are planning to go offensive tackle than you make sure you get in position to get one of the guys you targeted. Which is what we did.

My problem is that in essentially getting three guys (all question marks) for one position, we didn't plan or prepare well.

I'd still think we would have been better signing the guys we got and trading down picking smiley for reasons I stated before.

Fins2theend said:
I personally think Weis would be a good head coach, people that disagree will point out that NE offense has just barely put up more points than ours. But more times than not they seem to put them up when the game is on the line, unlike ours who at the end of the year folded like a poker player with a high card hand of 5. Dont blame Feidler because if we didnt put the ball in Feidlers hands he couldnt have made the mistakes. While I think Jay is a average QB he still does some things well, our passing game should have been designed around what he can do not what we want to do. That is what made Weis great he allowed his players to do what they can do, and not what they were not able to do.

Great post....well what I meant to say is I agree completely. Offense matters when the game is on the line and the other team needs to get you off the field. Teams could get us off the field on 3rd down on the biggest play of the game, but no team could get the Pats off the field. Just ask the Panthers who had a D known for big 3rd down stops.

Opps, didnt see you had already commented on the post there Majorcane. We had better not tell him TOO many times how great his post was, he may start up his own talk show. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom