Philbin vs Sparano? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Philbin vs Sparano?

I agree with all of this and would add that thanks to Ireland's ineptitude Philbin's transformation is probably a year behind where it could have been. It pisses me off that we squandered a great opportunity and with one or two key moves we very easily could have won the division and had a first round bye, at the very least it was a playoff team. On the other hand it all worked out brilliantly for me...Ireland and Sherman are gone and Philbin and Tannehill remain in tact. If Tannehill is the real deal I believe we have all the other pieces in place to get it done (obviously Hickey is an unknown but he can't be any worse).

Hickey is going to live and die career wise attached to Joe given the contract he signed(I believe it was for remainder of Joe's time inked here), which isn't a bad thing. He came in and so far got Joe the players that Joe wanted(just look at who he wanted last year and instead Jeff opted to go for the save my job approach with sign big names in hopes of names alone would keep his job), so I'm sure it's safe to say Hickey and Joe have discussed their draft board over and over and played out so many things that could happen. If Joe is truly here for a min of 2 more years, with this FA period of getting players he wanted, a O-Cord that isn't sticking head in sand, a upcoming draft of coach and GM on same page, then repeat again next offseason, it should be a beautiful picture but we won't know if we continue to hold the doodle of finger painting Ireland made of this team and had Joe sign his name in corner to claim up in the air and saying look at this garbage Joe produced instead of allowing Joe, Lazor, Hickey to make their own piece with all the pieces they need to make it

I still like the tuna so my hatred for Sparano has nothin to do with that. I think it comes down to personality types, I'm a very analytical person that rarely shows any outward emotion, which suits me well as a poker player, and Philbin is similar. Sparano was a fly by the seat of his pants nitwit. I have mad respect for Philbin's ability to almost always make the correct decision under pressure without wasting any time. I also appreciate the importance he places on not wasting timeouts and not taking stupid procedural penalties and false starts. I have all the confidence in the world that Philbin could handle the pressure of the superbowl. If Sparano was forced to decide between kicking a FG, punt or go for it on 4th and 2 from the opponents 38 yard line....

I think a lot of Tony's indecision was the result of having a QB he didn't trust....he became conservative once he got in FG range because he didn't want Henne to throw the pick and not get any points, he tried to win with D...in his first yr he made all the right moves because he had a QB he could trust....his two biggest mistakes were not going to MM sooner and coaching scared once he was stabbed in the back....making in game decisions is not an easy thing, you have several issues going on at the same time, with everyone talking in your ear, some guys handle that better than others...so far Joe has done a good job, lets see how he reacts when he enters the win or get fired season coming this yr.....

One thing I love about Philbin is when he's left with a tough decision he almost always chooses the most aggressive option. People liked Sparano's fire and passion but I think having trust in your players ability to perform, even with everything on the line, can be just as inspiring in its own right.

Back
Top Bottom