Philosophical Changes I'd Love to See | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Philosophical Changes I'd Love to See

Our entire offense besides Tua began to get injured the 2nd half of the year. My point was that I believe injuries played a big part in the offensive struggles the last month of the season
I don’t disagree w that. But I also think we got figured out a bit too.

I don’t think you motion needs to be wiped out, it has its purpose for getting tyreek open but 5-10 plays a game is fine, not every single one. When it’s used every single time it becomes predictable.
I don’t know. Joe Gibbs won 3 SBs (went to 4) w an offense that had basically 4 core plays but used different motion to create 100’s of “looks”. What McD is doing isn’t “new” but it does take certain personnel to execute + you have to execute well + the Skins had a great o-line. Point is they did run some type of disguise virtually every play.

More here if you want to check it out :

The beauty of Gibbs' offense was its simplicity. It featured three basic running plays, four passing plays and hundreds of formations and shifts designed to disguise the play. Until Gibbs retired after the 1992 season, the Redskins' offense was the creation of an offensive coach's mind.Mar 10, 2014
1705861961448.png
https://jcfb.forums.net › thread › th...”

The Runs and Passes From the Joe Gibbs' Offense | Jerry Campbell Football

Like the post, but my disagreement, if you will, is even if we were able to build the o line improvements, the offense is still going to have the over used motions on every single play almost. I mean, the overuse of the motion kills this offense in a couple ways.

1. We are unable to utilize a hurryup. This was confirmed by Tua himself in such words.

2. It doesn't allow Tua to make the proper I'd of the defense because he's too worried about getting the motion going in a ridiculous amount of time, like 5 second average.

3. The motions of players doesn't allow for any hot routes or adjustments. Even to players who aren't in motion because the motion dictates other routes.. That plus the good teams have figured that crap out and really don't pay any attention to it

Last night we seen some of the same plays, I mean, identical, to the plays we ran with little to no motion. And guess what, THEY WORKED. My opinion is McD has to cut out the over use of motion.

Leading into the second point. Your right about other teams calling TO because of the play clock but I'm willing to bet it's not at the level as us. This is second year and it got us in the last buffalo game and the KC game. Unexcusable.
The motion is used to draw out the Ds intent. The D seldom initially lines up in their final coverage positions, by sending men in motion you sus out their coverage scheme. Our O is built on motion, misdirection, and it's desired influence on the play, they're not going to change that, they just have to make the process more efficient.
The problem lies in the amount of time it takes to complete the entire process of a play from deciding what to call to the final motion that takes place to reveal the coverage. Once the D shows their cards, there often isn't enough time to change the play at the line. You sometimes force a play that may not have a high probability of success against the final scheme being played.
You take a few extra seconds to get the play in, the play is complex and requires a large amount of detail to call it, you meander up to the line without urgency, you send the motion into effect, and when their finally set, there's 2 seconds left on the clock. You're committed with no time to adjust. You either run the play to your possible detriment or call a time out, that's what I'm seeing. Picking up a few seconds could be the difference between a successful play and a busted one. They need to speed up the process to allow time at the line to diagnose the D and make changes to the play if needed.
McDaniel is highly analytical and to a fault when it comes to calling plays. Maybe the first step is having an instinctive O coordinator call the plays. He's great at designing the plays but takes too long to decide which one to run under the circumstances he's faced with. He's over thinking it, and I think that may be his main weakness and the root of our problems with the O...

Here are a few..

1. More Man-to-Man Coverage on Defense
Generally, this team won on defense and I'm pretty happy with this group. But the better quarterbacks picked zone apart. I think with Miami's pass rush, going to more man would create turnovers and more negative plays. Switch it up. Ramsey is good in a man system. Find another corner, if necessary, who also excels in man.

2. Focus on Building a Successful Short-yardage Game
A lot of us have been harping on this for years now. Have to be able to run the ball when everyone in the stadium knows it's a run.

Couple of points here. On the push play, Miami needs someone other than Tua, with his injury history. Maybe Skylar Thompson, but it doesn't even have to be a quarterback. It could be Seiler. This play is all about leverage, winning in the trenches, and flat out desire.

Fix the offensive line once and for all and maybe add a power back.

3. McDaniel Should Give Up Play Calling
If the non-competitive playoff loss showed one thing, it's that play calling needs to come off McDaniel's plate. He can still install the offense and be involved, but McDaniel needs help. No way we should be seeing clock management issues when the team should be in the 2-minute drill. Does Miami have a speed up offense?

That's basically it. Obviously, I'm not really going into personnel but do believe the team needs to add physical players.
Hey SF,
1. Bend don't break has a minimum of man to man. Man to man is for aggressive Ds like the Flores/Belichick Amoeba.
2. Short yardage is not in Mikey's bag of concepts, it would take a complete change, not just in philosophy but in personnel, it would help if Mikey would let Tua be Tua like he was in Alabama, but for some reason he is not using this part of Tuas "game".
3. Not gonna happen, it is too big of a part of his personality.

I am hoping they can put together a reliable OLine, and fix the play timing etc. But I will say, that if they have the same type of year like this one the drum beat will get louder.

The Ever Skeptical VIPER

Like the post, but my disagreement, if you will, is even if we were able to build the o line improvements, the offense is still going to have the over used motions on every single play almost. I mean, the overuse of the motion kills this offense in a couple ways.

1. We are unable to utilize a hurryup. This was confirmed by Tua himself in such words.

2. It doesn't allow Tua to make the proper I'd of the defense because he's too worried about getting the motion going in a ridiculous amount of time, like 5 second average.

3. The motions of players doesn't allow for any hot routes or adjustments. Even to players who aren't in motion because the motion dictates other routes.. That plus the good teams have figured that crap out and really don't pay any attention to it

Last night we seen some of the same plays, I mean, identical, to the plays we ran with little to no motion. And guess what, THEY WORKED. My opinion is McD has to cut out the over use of motion.

Leading into the second point. Your right about other teams calling TO because of the play clock but I'm willing to bet it's not at the level as us. This is second year and it got us in the last buffalo game and the KC game. Unexcusable.

My reply is 100% speculation, but I still wonder if it might be true. Perhaps right now, McD has all of these motions in order to create mismatches because he simply knows we’re not good enough up front to beat the guy in front of us.

Again, no way to prove this, but I’d be willing to bet if/when McD gets a better Oline in front of Tua, we’re going to see considerably less motion. 🤷‍♂️

My reply is 100% speculation, but I still wonder if it might be true. Perhaps right now, McD has all of these motions in order to create mismatches because he simply knows we’re not good enough up front to beat the guy in front of us.

Again, no way to prove this, but I’d be willing to bet if/when McD gets a better Oline in front of Tua, we’re going to see considerably less motion. 🤷‍♂️

We've seen less motion per play this year to last. Mcd gets points for that. OTOH, still seeing significant motion even with the OL healthy

Right
You mean number 1 O against bad teams
Every good team shut us down
This O is predictable and good D’s know how to stop it
Two years in a row now
Yes but I’ll still keep mcdaniels, hopefully he learns and adjust accordingly. How many times has the Miami dolphins been ranked # 1 in the NFL?

Yes but I’ll still keep mcdaniels, hopefully he learns and adjust accordingly. How many times has the Miami dolphins been ranked # 1 in the NFL?
But is he really learning? Plays still getting in late
Same ole offensive penalties
He runs a very sloppy ship, unorganized

I’m not advocating his firing, I actually want him to hire a pro OC so he can concentrate on HC duties
I don’t think he’ll ever be a quality playcaller

The only issue with going more man….is that Fangio is probably not going to change. He’s doesn’t seem like the type who will be doing a self-evaluation in the offseason and deciding that his scheme was the problem. I will give him some credit for making some required tweaks (significantly upping his blitz %), but the tweaks were basically forced upon him due to the injury crisis. The unfortunate lesson learned this past season is that high-level opposing offenses had field days attacking our weak links on defense.…to an embarrassing degree. The abuse taken by Kohou, Apple, and Riley was incredible.

Which leads to the next issue. As an OC, McDaniel could not do the same to opposing defenses. Think about the final two games of the regular season. The Ravens and Bills secondaries were decimated by injuries. Did we find a Kohou or Apple to attack? Nope.

I have a lot of problems with McDaniel the play caller. But I also have some problems with his overall philosophy, which some have already detailed. I have also repeated them over the past few weeks. He needs to re-evaluate this offseason. Bring back the no-huddle. Reduce the motion. Give Tua more time at the LOS. Give Tua more frequent simple first reads. Take the easy stuff. Be adaptable - you can run your preferred motion scheme against bad teams and blow them away. It’s not working against better defenses and better defensive coordinators. It is possible to change mid-season. The Bills just saved their season as proof.
Also, if he's still here next year (which he probably will be), he needs to DEMAND a better o-line from Grier. As pointed out above, that fancy motion stuff might work against bad teams, but good, tough, physical defenses manhandle Miami's o-line and the offense struggles. Why do all that fancy timing stuff trying to cover up the o-line's weaknesses when it makes more sense and is more efficient to have a better o-line and be able to run or pass at will?

While some call McDaniel a genius for being able to design plays that are so quick the o-line isn't exposed, I say he's an idiot for wasting the time doing this just to be able to beat some bad teams. After last year, he should have made sure that the team did more to improve the o-line during the off-season so that they could run a real offense effectively against both good and bad teams. Sorry, but IMO if Miami can't line up on offense and pound the ball when the opponent knows you want to run, and the QB doesn't have time to go through his reads, then they have the wrong o-line and offensive philosophy.

I'm still a fan of Mcd. Talent and potential is there. His biggest hurdle is he seems to overthink everything.
My concern is can he defeat that dragon?

Nice post brother. I would also add in here to use your TE more. :ffic:
And other WRs. Berrios for example was always productive as a slot (?) receiver and a return man before he came to Miami. But, in Miami he's rarely been used as a receiver, and his returns aren't as good as they used to be when I'd see him play.

He was much better before he came to Miami, and IMO that is not his fault.

And other WRs. Berrios for example was always productive as a slot (?) receiver and a return man before he came to Miami. But, in Miami he's rarely been used as a receiver, and his returns aren't as good as they used to be when I'd see him play.

He was much better before he came to Miami, and IMO that is not his fault.
I made a thread about this weeks ago brother in the club forum. I whole heartedly agree that Coach McDaniels gets stuck on certain players only.

Doesn't feel like any amount of OL upgrades will resolve Tua's physical limitations.

Coach can only do so much...

I don’t know. Joe Gibbs won 3 SBs (went to 4) w an offense that had basically 4 core plays but used different motion to create 100’s of “looks”. What McD is doing isn’t “new” but it does take certain personnel to execute + you have to execute well + the Skins had a great o-line. Point is they did run some type of disguise virtually every play.

More here if you want to check it out :

The beauty of Gibbs' offense was its simplicity. It featured three basic running plays, four passing plays and hundreds of formations and shifts designed to disguise the play. Until Gibbs retired after the 1992 season, the Redskins' offense was the creation of an offensive coach's mind.Mar 10, 2014
View attachment 159119
https://jcfb.forums.net › thread › th...”

The Runs and Passes From the Joe Gibbs' Offense | Jerry Campbell Football

Nice pull, Royalshank.

Honestly, if Miami can improve the offensive line fairly dramatically that could solve most of the problems on this team.

Back
Top Bottom