Photo shows matthews feet were clearly down. Stadium refused to show replay. | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Photo shows matthews feet were clearly down. Stadium refused to show replay.

You couldn't be more wrong. His arm is fully extended and ends up underneath his face mask after reaching for the ball. If he pushed his arm forward like you claim, it would not have ended up under his helmet like it did. It would have still been extended away from his body.

video evidence is pretty damn clear, they made the right call. Do you see anyone debating this call other than phin fans? people may be debating the rule but the call was an easy one.

video evidence is pretty damn clear, they made the right call. Do you see anyone debating this call other than phin fans? people may be debating the rule but the call was an easy one.

You keep saying that, but have yet to explain to me what he would have done differently had he been trying to bring the ball back into his body? Where his arm ended up leads me to believe that he was trying to bring it in, not bat it away. The only thing that is clear is that a judgment call like that should not be made unless they are absolutely certain of the intent.

You keep saying that, but have yet to explain to me what he would have done differently had he been trying to bring the ball back into his body? Where his arm ended up leads me to believe that he was trying to bring it in, not bat it away. The only thing that is clear is that a judgment call like that should not be made unless they are absolutely certain of the intent.

he punches the ball forward, it's clear as day. where his arm ended up is irrelevant.

It looked clear to me, it looked clear to the ref, it looked clear to the announcers who called it before the call was made. The only ones that it doesn't look clear to are dolphin fans and I understand that. I'd hate a play like that to go against the Jets too.

he punches the ball forward, it's clear as day. where his arm ended up is irrelevant.

It looked clear to me, it looked clear to the ref, it looked clear to the announcers who called it before the call was made. The only ones that it doesn't look clear to are dolphin fans and I understand that. I'd hate a play like that to go against the Jets too.

You have yet to answer what he would have done differently has he been trying to bring the ball in. The motion would be the same. There is no way to know his intent was to bat it instead of bring it in. I would be saying the same thing had it happened to any other team.

You clearly did not watch the game as only Simms thought that it was the right call. Nantz thought it was the wrong call.

This was a huge mistake by PHILBIN!!! He should have thrown the red flag!!! Referees, OL (again) and Philbin cost us the game. The good news is we will only have to wait two more days to see us losing another one!!!

The player was also screaming for the flag, he knew he caught it in bounds. The coach needs to put some faith in the player in this situation, especially when they don't have a good view on replay.

The coaching staff has been skewered by the NFL media the past two weeks and rightfully so. Hopefully with more experience Philbin will develop head coaching skills. As of right now, he is in over his head.

You have yet to answer what he would have done differently has he been trying to bring the ball in. The motion would be the same. There is no way to know his intent was to bat it instead of bring it in. I would be saying the same thing had it happened to any other team.

You clearly did not watch the game as only Simms thought that it was the right call. Nantz thought it was the wrong call.

we don't know his intent either way, what we do know is it sure looked like he was batting it away to give his teammate a better chance to recover it/prevent NE from recovering it. It was the correct call.

I was flipping back and forth during the 1PM games, I guess I heard Simms saying it before the ref made the call.

You lost b/c you got outplayed not b/c of calls.

we don't know his intent either way, what we do know is it sure looked like he was batting it away to give his teammate a better chance to recover it/prevent NE from recovering it. It was the correct call.

I was flipping back and forth during the 1PM games, I guess I heard Simms saying it before the ref made the call.

You lost b/c you got outplayed not b/c of calls.

It also looked like he was trying to bring it in. Again, the motion would be the same. If the intent is not clear, then it is not the correct call. Though a case could be made that the 4 bad calls was a big part of it, I'm not arguing that it why we lost.

It also looked like he was trying to bring it in. Again, the motion would be the same. If the intent is not clear, then it is not the correct call. Though a case could be made that the 4 bad calls was a big part of it, I'm not arguing that it why we lost.

The biggest call was the correct call though so that takes away that excuse. You deserved to lose.

The biggest call was the correct call though so that takes away that excuse. You deserved to lose.

Are you not reading what I post?

I'm not arguing that it why we lost.

You can keep saying it was the correct call all you want. That doesn't change the fact that it was not. The only thing you have said to back up your opinion is that is looked like it to you. You still haven't been able to tell me what would "Look" different had he been trying to bring the ball in. If the refs are going to call a penalty based on an intentional act, the intention should be obvious. I've seen obvious intent to bat a ball. This was not one.

go watch the clip at nfl.com, it is as obvious as could be. It was 100% w/o a doubt the correct call.

it sure looks like it and that is all the refs have to go on.

No, you guys want to make excuses why you were outscored 24-0 in the 2nd half, I am dealing w/ reality. There are bad calls every game but the biggest one was the correct call.

Ignore getting shut out in the 2nd half and down 3 at midfield Tannehill making a boneheaded pass down the sideline that was picked, it was all the refs fault.

I just watched the replay, it is clear as day he is hitting it forward intentionally.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013102703/2013/REG8/dolphins@patriots#menu=highlights&tab=recap

How is it that you dont even know what we are discussiing!?!?!?! You and I are discussing the Matthews catch, not the OV bat. I couldnt care any less about the OV bat. Matthews clearly caught the ball. I havent made one excuse in this whole thread

How is it that you dont even know what we are discussiing!?!?!?! You and I are discussing the Matthews catch, not the OV bat. I couldnt care any less about the OV bat. Matthews clearly caught the ball. I havent made one excuse in this whole thread

where is the evidence that he clearly caught the ball? this still photo doesn't prove it and what was the game situation of this play?

well either we "deserved" to win the Baltimore game or the jets "deserved" to lose the NE game using a consistent standard. (and Matthews catch was as obvious as, if not more so, than late hit penalty gift by TB's Lavante David.)

Officials missed field-goal push call in Ravens-Dolphins game
Posted by Mike Florio on October 22, 2013, 10:32 AM EDT
Ravens AP

Given Sunday’s game between the Patriots and the Jets, everybody knows about Rule 9, Article 1, Section 3(2)(b) of the rulebook.

Before that, not many people did. Including game officials, apparently.

As explained by Albert Breer of NFL Network, the Ravens violated the rule against pushing players on the line of scrimmage in field-goal formation during a late 57-yard try from the Dolphins. The kick, if successful, would have tied the game. The kick, if it had come 15 yards closer after the flag that wasn’t thrown, may have been good.

Per Breer, the Dolphins gave the tape to the NFL, and the league conceded (privately) that the call was missed.

A review of the coaches film available via the NFL’s Game Rewind service conducted by PFT (that sounds so official) shows that Chris Canty was lined up between, but slightly behind, Arthur Jones and Haloti Ngata. After the snap, Canty got behind Jones and pushed.

The temptation to skirt the rule surely increases on longer field-goal attempts, when the trajectory of the kick necessarily is lower. In those situations, a strong push could result in a blocked kick.

The league thereafter decided to make the rule a point of emphasis, prompting V.P. of officiating Dean Blandino to send out a video explaining that game officials would be watching for future violations.

While some Patriots fans may point to the failure to flag the Ravens as further proof of a ****eyed conspiracy against the franchise that parlayed the tuck rule into its first Super Bowl win, the broader point is that the enforcement of the rule was, before Sunday, a work in progress. The Patriots either didn’t understand the rule or deliberately rolled the dice on the 56-yard attempt from Nick Folk, hoping the flag wouldn’t be thrown.

Either way, no one can claim ignorance of the rule going forward.

I don't always agree w/ Pereira but:

Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira 27 Oct
The batting play in NE is clear to me. #50 illegally bats it forward which you can't do. That is a penalty and correctly ruled.

Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira 27 Oct
That was a great call by the officials in NE. Tough call and made correctly.

Back
Top Bottom