Post-free agency draft updates (visits, reported targets etc) | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Post-free agency draft updates (visits, reported targets etc)

Obi's primary value, imo, is as a match-up piece for athletic TE's and big WR's. As a Safety he doesn't see the field very well, is slow to react, and he's not physical - bordering on soft. He's also older than ideal. Mixed-bag player/elite athlete.

So, do you deploy him in nickel situations to help cover those big guys? Or leave him on the field as a weak safety, but knowing his coverage skills?

Regardless, I don't see how acquiring him means an automatic exit for maxwell

Aaron Wilson‏Verified account @AaronWilson_NFL 36s37 seconds ago
More
North Carolina State defensive tackle Monty Nelson working out at Miami Dolphins' local prospect workout today

Agreed. The only corner I'd consider at 22 is Conley. That's obviously excluding Lattimore.

Todd McShay has him mocked to us. I don't know how I would feel about drafting a CB in round #1, we need young talent at DE and LB.

The big problem with Conley is he can't tackle for $***. Other than that the guys a legit corner. Gotta be able to tackle though

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

From NFLTradeRumors.co
- The Dolphins have reportedly spent “significant time” with Connecticut’s Obi Melifonwu.

:up:

Just saying, Obi's a DB and the size of Brandon Marshall only he runs a 4.4 and jumps higher and further (Obi topped the vertical and the broad jumps at the Combine). It is appropriate for Miami to thoroughly check him out because he is an athletic freak (at a position of need - Free Safety). BTW - UConn have a good track record of developing DBs e.g. Byron Jones at the Cowboys drafted 2 years ago who also topped the vertical and set a world record in the standing broad jump.

Other interesting thing about Melifonwu is that he was born in England of Nigerian heritage - just like Jay Ajayi.

Ya talk about a physical freak

So, do you deploy him in nickel situations to help cover those big guys? Or leave him on the field as a weak safety, but knowing his coverage skills?

Agree. There was only one poor assumption said concerning that manner.

Anyways, it's kinda hard to peg him down with his variance of strength and weakness.

For a safety based nickel (removing the CB in favor of a safety) you want your Whip (strong/field) to be able to blitz and and be a force player vs the run but also have the coverage skills to stay with a slot or TE. The Rover (weak/boundary) has to be able to play some man coverage for the likely situations where the field side is often the passing strength (trips, bunch, etc) so he has to be able to single up on the weakside but also be able to play the run when it's spilled to him. And the Free safety is more of your flat foot reader and alley defender who has to be able to diagnose, read/react, and cover in space.

DC's will have different nuances as to how they employ the safeties in a Big Nickel, but generally speaking for each strength that Melifonwu possess there is also a glaring weakness required by the position at the same time.

Aaron Wilson‏Verified account @AaronWilson_NFL 1m1 minute ago
More
Florida State wide receiver Travis Rudolph worked out for and had dinner with the Miami Dolphins, according to a source

Travis34 said:

I make him an outside CB, I've read a scouting report on him and also watched one that made mention of questionable instincts. I wouldn't want my FS having instincts that are questionable. To that end...put him on the boundary where isn't the last linr of defense.

Agree. There was only one poor assumption said concerning that manner.

Anyways, it's kinda hard to peg him down with his variance of strength and weakness.

For a safety based nickel (removing the CB in favor of a safety) you want your Whip (strong/field) to be able to blitz and and be a force player vs the run but also have the coverage skills to stay with a slot or TE. The Rover (weak/boundary) has to be able to play some man coverage for the likely situations where the field side is often the passing strength (trips, bunch, etc) so he has to be able to single up on the weakside but also be able to play the run when it's spilled to him. And the Free safety is more of your flat foot reader and alley defender who has to be able to diagnose, read/react, and cover in space.

DC's will have different nuances as to how they employ the safeties in a Big Nickel, but generally speaking for each strength that Melifonwu possess there is also a glaring weakness required by the position at the same time.

Do you believe his weaknesses are coachable?

I make him an outside CB, I've read a scouting report on him and also watched one that made mention of questionable instincts. I wouldn't want my FS having instincts that are questionable. To that end...put him on the boundary where isn't the last linr of defense.

I don't see it. He doesn't have the technique to play press for us nor the hip-flip to bail and trail. He's more of a weakside safety who has good man coverage skills but needs to improve vs the run

Do you believe his weaknesses are coachable?

For a Rover or weakside safety I think he can suffice as he usually wont be a box defender vs the run but he's not first rd prospect in that respect.

Based on the various rumblings, I think there is some merit to the rumor that we are the team that's been trying to trade for Richard Sherman.

Between Armando Salguero being the guy who has the scoops about the Sherman trade situation, the Dolphins' rumblings about cornerback, etc...

Based on the various rumblings, I think there is some merit to the rumor that we are the team that's been trying to trade for Richard Sherman.

Between Armando Salguero being the guy who has the scoops about the Sherman trade situation, the Dolphins' rumblings about cornerback, etc...

Ugh,. would not be a fan of that at all..

I love Sherman, he's an elite CB, but that's straight stupidity. We're gonna trade the farm for someone's former 5th rd pick? :bobdole:

**** us if we make such an ignorant move instead of relying on our own prowess in a defensive heavy draft to improve our unit.

I love Sherman, he's an elite CB, but that's straight stupidity. We're gonna trade the farm for someone's former 5th rd pick? :bobdole:

**** us if we make such an ignorant move instead of relying on our own prowess in a defensive heavy draft to improve our unit.

Probably a fat contract extension on top of it, if we were to do that..lets hope not.

Back
Top Bottom