Post-free agency draft updates (visits, reported targets etc) | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Post-free agency draft updates (visits, reported targets etc)

I want a DE in the first (Charlton, Harris, McKinley with Barnett being the pipe dream) and a safety in the second (Baker, Williams, King). We can get a guard in the third.

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

@NFL: "I believe @JabrillPeppers is a top 10 pick." http://snpy.tv/2nOOLhN

Hop Mayock is wrong on this one.....

Hope he's right. Knocks a better player down one spot. He's the guy, along with maybe a QB reach that could push someone like Barnett to us. I'm starting to see Barnett in the 20s in some mocks which is just crazy.

I want a DE in the first (Charlton, Harris, McKinley with Barnett being the pipe dream) and a safety in the second (Baker, Williams, King). We can get a guard in the third.

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

Hope he's right. Knocks a better player down one spot. He's the guy, along with maybe a QB reach that could push someone like Barnett to us. I'm starting to see Barnett in the 20s in some mocks which is just crazy.

There isnt a player in the entire draft I like more than Peppers.

There isnt a player in the entire draft I like more than Peppers.

I like him too. I've warmed up to him but I'm still not sure if he's a free safety. He has the speed and the range but does he have the ball skills that someone like Budda Baker or Marcus Williams does? That's my question. I know he played a lot of linebacker, but that 1 career interception worries me.

In a dream world we plug in all other holes in free agency and could just trade up for Hooker.

For the Miami Dolphins? Wormley. Kid has a great work ethic and is a leader. We also like to shift a a DE to DT on passing downs and did that under Coyle too. Wormley is also great at Stunts. He's a lot more athletic than given credit for. Just based on what I've seen of him at Michigan (including getting up to 320 as a Sophomore at Hokr's request as the team needed a nose tackle) I don't se e him being anything less than very solid.

That being said I think Taco has the potential to develop into a great player. He was always a part of a deep DL at Michifan, but the other tricky thing was under Hoke Michigan rotated the DL a freakish amount. .. like there was a point where they would have a different DL out for every snap, so Taco didn't get consistent time until his Junior year where he became the main back up and then the main pass rusher as a swnior

I hope you're right about Charlton. Because as of now, he doesn't seem to excel as a pass rusher. If your instincts are right, and it's lack of experience and consistency that's holding him back right now, it's quite possible with a coach like Gase he'll reach his untapped potential and ceiling as a Miami Dolphin? I think if he's there at 22, Miami will select Charlton. As for Wormley, well the secrets out!!!! I was hoping Miami could select him come round 3, but unfortunately his versatility, athleticism and being a run stuffer has him rising into top round 2 territory; and with that, putting him outside of Miami's range, unless they pull the trigger on Wormley at 22?

3m
Simon Clancy‏ @SiClancy
There were a lot of Dolphins FO personnel to meet & workout G Forrest Lamp today. Also, Mississippi St LB Jonathan Calvin will visit Davie.

Monday’s pro day schedule was a bit light although Western Kentucky and star lineman Forrest Lamp worked out for NFL teams.

Four offensive line coaches, Jim Bob Cooter of the Detroit Lions and front office personnel from the Miami Dolphins were all on hand for WKU pro day, primarily to watch Lamp.

The big offensive lineman stood on his pro day numbers but looked good during position drills. His workout was conducted by offensive line coaches for the Philadelphia Eagles and Cincinnati Bengals.

I’m told during a good portion of the workout they had Lamp, who played left tackle for WKU but is projected to guard on Sunday, snap the football.

He was asked top do some conventional snapping as well as shotgun snapping and looked good at both. Several teams feel Lamp could eventually find a home at the center position.

Lamp, who had dinner with the San Diego Chargers last night, is considered a plug and play lineman by most teams. In our most recent mock draft we have him being selected by the Miami Dolphins with the 22nd selection of round one.

Houston

A decent crowd was on hand for Houston pro day including linebacker coaches from the New York Jets, Baltimore Ravens, Miami Dolphins, Cleveland Browns and Tennessee Titans.

Tyus Bowser, the Cougars highest rated prospect, stood on his combine numbers but participated in position drills and looked good. He’s incredibly athletic and easily moved about the field. As you can tell from above most teams feel he’s best suited for a 3-4 but the athleticism make some believe Bowser will be equally effective in a 4-3 alignment.

Senior cornerback Brandon Wilson turned in an incredible workout.

He completed 24 reps on the bench, touched 41 inches in the vertical jump and 11-foot-1 in the broad. His forty was timed in the mid 4.3s (4.35s). Wilson then did position drills at cornerback and later some running back drills for the Seattle Seahawks.

As a junior Wilson was forced to start two games at running back due to injuries on the team and rushed for 111 yards and 2 touchdowns against Navy. The very next game he totaled 70 yards rushing on 11 carries against the very tough Temple defense.

Wilson met with the Miami Dolphins and Cincinnati Bengals over the past day and will be working out for the New England Patriots next week.

Now for the bizarre.

Redshirt sophomore Howard Wilson ran the forty in the high 4.5s (4.58s), similar to the time he ran at the combine.

Then thing got really strange.

Wilson refused to participate in position drills. When scouts asked if he was injured he told them no, it was recommended he not take part in drills. Scouts tried to coax him into drills by reminding him Myles Garrett, expected to be the first pick of the draft, was scheduled to work out on Thursday. Wilson would still not participate in drills.

Later on Wilson was throwing the ball to former Cougars signal caller Greg Ward Jr, who was warming up for receiver drills. According to eye witnesses someone ran down and yelled for Wilson to stop throwing the ball- which he did.

We rated Wilson as a free agent before all this took place and this only affirms our grade.

Vists/Workouts

We’ve mentioned Jonathan Calvin several times since January and the defensive end/outside linebacker had a great pro day. Measuring 6027/275 pounds, Calvin timed as fast as 4.72s in the forty, touched 35.5 inches in the vertical jump and reached 9-foot-4 in the broad jump.

He has official visits set up with the Miami Dolphins, San Francisco 49ers and Oakland Raiders.
http://draftanalyst.com/pro-day-march-27-update-houston

It's less telling than the other drills. JJ Watt, Trey Flowers, Michael Bennett, Joey Bosa, and Chandler Jones all posted 4.8 40s or worse. Frank Clark posted a 4.79.

That 7.08 3-cone is impressive - in the range of Chandler Jones, though Womley is about 30lbs heavier than Jones was. Because it's a Pro Day time, it requires some skepticism, but agility looked like a major strength at Michigan.
He's a good prospect but don't fixate on the Combine results. To fairly assess him the focus needs to be on his actual performance in games. Remember Dion Jordan also aced the Combine and Ireland fell in love with his speed/size ratio.

3m
Simon Clancy‏ @SiClancy
There were a lot of Dolphins FO personnel to meet & workout G Forrest Lamp today. Also, Mississippi St LB Jonathan Calvin will visit Davie.

I think Lamp is in serious consideration for #22. I've said this before, although not particularly popular opinion on Finheaven. I think Gase wants this kid to pair with Tunsil on the left side of the offensive line. That is, "IF"; he's still on the board when Miami picks in the 1st round.

Someone mentioned in another thread that we might just take a OL in the first due to the fact that we suck so bad at evaluating the position to draft anyone later. I can definitely see either Cam Robinson or Lamp as the pick just for that reason alone. It wouldn't make me tooooo angry, because we do need talent at the position and at a relatively fair deal ( especially guards this FA getting 10+mil/yr) we bring someone on a 5yr deal that is a first round talent so the learning curve wouldn't be horribly steep. We would protect our QB and open up our run game, and offense in general.

Not the sexiest pick, and I'm also in the defense 1st pick mode, but I can definitely see the reasoning to the pick.

I think after LB, G is our weakest position currently, so it's absolutely on the table for our first round pick. If the BPA on your draft board addresses your 2nd weakest spot on the team, you make that move.

I think after LB, G is our weakest position currently, so it's absolutely on the table for our first round pick. If the BPA on your draft board addresses your 2nd weakest spot on the team, you make that move.

DT and Safety don't look very good either IMO. Dolphins have been looking pretty hard at DT, LB and DE the most. Lamp is the only OG they've really shown a lot of interest in as far as offensive line goes, they've met with two late round prospects in Sam Tevi and Dan Skipper but Lamp is the only early round O-lineman they've met with.

The FO filled in holes with stop gap players; so that, the draft was purely a BPA exercise. It is a great way to build through the draft.

Back
Top Bottom