Post Game Thoughts | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Post Game Thoughts

Everyone freaking out calling for Gase's head needs to take a step back and chill. We are 4-4 and anyone that expected much more than that without Tannehill is off their rocker. Sure it's frustrating but last night was a baby step victory.

Offense looked much better and I'm excited for Tannehill to come back and play with Williams and Drake. Sure Drake fumbled but overall he looked very good in this system without Ajayi. Williams looked great catching out of the backfield as well but as a runner he just isn't good. Either draft a power back to complete the trio next year or pick up a guy like Blount.

Oline looked better vs the pass atleast still no running holes but baby steps here. Pouncey should be gone unless he agrees to cut off 4-5 million yearly. 1st and 2nd round might be going to oline again. Still the huge weakness of this team. On a side note there is holding on every NFL play, refs did us dirty but at the end of the day still on us for losing.

Defense played decently forced two turnovers and gave our team a shot but offense shot itself in the foot. Dline lacked pressure but if the four man rush isn't working then we need to call more creative blitzes. Seems like even when we blitz we still can't get in cause we send lb's up the middle. I'd like to get more creative, loved when Burke moved Suh to a sprinters stance and had him rush standing up, mix it up get creative you have Suh and Wake who are both incredibly athletic, hide them,line them up differently and scare the offense.

We are in desperate need of a linebacker/safety that can cover, unfamiliar with Mcmillian but praying he can cover cause Cook torches us last night.

Secondary seemed decent. Badly need a Free safety who can cover hopefully McDonald is that guy, Jones is one of the top SS in the league but really shouldn't be left on an island covering like that. I'm not sure if our corners played well or if the linebackers just suck so bad that Carr didn't bother testing the corners or that they covered well. Either way McCain looks like he's turning into a solid slot guy and Tankersley and Howard didn't give up much so looks like we could have a very young solid secondary that should improve with time and experience.

Overall the whole team looked better then past weeks and for the most part played a complete game. Just need to work on the mental errors and stupid penalties.

Sucks when we think about where we could be but you also have to look at the circumstances. People calling for Gase's head after he lead us to the playoffs last year and this year being .500 without our starting QB is insane. All our previous coaches were given 4-5 years and did nothing atleast Gase accomplished something his first year and this year looks like he's struggling with a less talented qb but give it time before everyone freaks out.

That was a real wtf moment. Just take the delay of game and get pushed back a little, save the timeout
And run the 2 point play from the 7? IDK, I think you take the TO. If you recover the onsides you have plenty of time even w no time outs.

Here is my take on Gase and the game and the team
Gase positives- He got Drake and Williams involved in the passing game and they both did well as far as catching passes out of the back field
Playing Gray at FB and him rushing for a 1st down
The onside kick that we recovered
I believe only one bubble screen(I could be wrong but I only remember one)
Negatives- Way too many runs up the middle on first down that never worked
As a HC he should be a little more involve with the whole team but yet he's still mostly thinking as an OC
I believe he's right that the team, at least as the passing game goes, it's better off with Drake & Williams than with Ajayi in there but the team keeps on making dumb mistakes, penalties and shooting themselves in the foot. Not very discipline team at all

As far as the game, plenty of blame to go around. Our kicker missed a PAT
Drake had the fumble in the red zone
Our punter had some bad punts
Our pass defense was horrible with no pass rush other than the play Suh made and the raiders open all game long
Don't tell me about how the defense wasn't that bad. The raiders dropped several passes that would have made our defense looked even worse
The offense not moving the ball twice from around midfield thought I put part of the blame on the play calling, mostly running up the middle on first down when everyone could see if hadn't worked all night.
The game was there for the taking but we blew it on both sides of the football. Jones leading the team in tackles for the game is not a good thing.

The team- Cutler had a good game when you consider there was no running game other than ONE Drake run for 42 yards
Parker was solid and showed the kind of plays he can make. IF he stays healthy he'll be fine
Drake and Williams did good in the passing game
Thomas actually had a good game
Can't think of anyone on defense that had a great game last night. Some had nice plays here and there but nobody had a great game

Moving forward they really need to fix that oline. I can very easy see 3 new starters next year if they're serious about fixing it. We need another corner for sure and we need to hope that Harris develops because we're going nowhere with our lack of a pass rush
Gase needs to stop calling runs up the middle on 1st down. All it does is puts us on 2nd and 3rd and long
Last 8 game we play 6 teams with winning records at the moment
I can't see us any better than 7-9 but it could be 6-10

Ozzy rules!!

Why are people forgetting he's coming off cracked ribs? That had to limit his deep throws last night.

Cutler's deep balls have been garbage this season even before the cracked ribs.

I suspect that's a function of the fact that Miami is one of the weaker teams that gets chosen to play during prime-time, and so they're likely to be facing better teams the vast majority of the time in those games.

Oakland and Baltimore are not particularly good football teams. The Ravens, when they aren't playing Miami, have actually been a bad football team the last two years.

Gase needs to stop calling runs up the middle on 1st down. All it does is puts us on 2nd and 3rd and long

I'd love to see us get better gains on 1st down runs, but I respect the commitment to them. Running the football helps our pass protection. And our pass protection needs the help.

And run the 2 point play from the 7? IDK, I think you take the TO. If you recover the onsides you have plenty of time even w no time outs.

Yeah, its questionable either way. Could've run a pass play, just not a damn wr screen lol

Cutler's deep balls have been garbage this season even before the cracked ribs.

Oakland and Baltimore are not particularly good football teams. The Ravens, when they aren't playing Miami, have actually been a bad football team the last two years.

I'd love to see us get better gains on 1st down runs, but I respect the commitment to them. Running the football helps our pass protection. And our pass protection needs the help.
I don't have a problem with him calling runs, even on first down. I just don't want to see any more runs up the middle on first down. Drake is much better running outside and as far as pass protection, it does NOT help to be on 3rd and long all the time. Run outside to the right. Run outside to the left. Maybe even a draw but everyone seems to know that a run up the middle is coming on first down. I just want him to change it up a little bit, specially when what he's doing is not working

Ozzy rules!!

Why are people forgetting he's coming off cracked ribs? That had to limit his deep throws last night.
If true then you play Moore. What's the point of playing a QB if he can't physically do the job? The Raiders D is soft and we didn't test them deep. I don't buy it. I think Cutler was up to the task - we just didn't dial the plays up for some reason. And he had plenty of time to throw last night as well as he wasn't pressured much.

If true then you play Moore. What's the point of playing a QB if he can't physically do the job? The Raiders D is soft and we didn't test them deep. I don't buy it. I think Cutler was up to the task - we just didn't dial the plays up for some reason. And he had plenty of time to throw last night as well as he wasn't pressured much.
Gase said today the reason we didn't go deep often was the raiders playing cover 2 most of the game. That's why Drake and Williams were getting yards under. They were staying back and trying to keep things in front. He pretty much said there was no point in forcing the ball deep with the way the raiders were playing their defense

Ozzy rules!!

Team needs more talent, we have about 4 players on the roster is consider good players. I don't know how we've even won the games we have this year, the roster is so mediocre.

Starts with drafting better and our most recent draft sucked in my opinion. I have zero hope for this team until the front office is changed again.

Agree with everything except McCain. He won’t be missed when he’s gone next season

Bobby McCain is the highest rated CB on our team. Per PFF. You are in the minority, and you are wrong.

He isn't going anywhere either. He is under contract next year for 762,000. A high value starter who continues to improve.

Bobby McCain is the highest rated CB on our team. Per PFF. You are in the minority, and you are wrong.

He isn't going anywhere either. He is under contract next year for 762,000. A high value starter who continues to improve.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. McCain is not great, but he's better than the dumpster fire he was a couple of years ago. That's more what I'm getting at, that we have a habit of bringing in cornerbacks who are just dreadful and in need of a lot of coaching, and then we coach them up, and then we part ways with them just as they're starting to perform adequately. It seems like a counterintuitive and silly way to do things.

I don't have a high opinion of PFF's player ratings, by the way. I think that for OL and DL play, they aren't bad, but when it comes to skill position players and secondary, they are way off the mark.

Cutler played better, but overall he still isn't playing well enough to win in this league. He's playing street ball just as much as Landry or Ajayi did. He's still afraid to take shots downfield unless his target is wide open. This guy isn't going to make a play unless all other conditions are perfect. He played good enough to get you beat.

Jakeem Grant can GTFO. He hasn't helped us in field position at all this year. Time to make a change here Rizzo. Put Landry back on PR/KR and maybe we can get decent field position once and a while.

Gase is still calling **** plays. 3rd and 10+ yards is an always predictable draw play for the Fins. You can count on at least 3 WR screen attempts per game. None have ever worked. And just poor overall 3rd down playcalling again. This is starting to look like a Dan Henning offense, and our QB is starting to look like check-down Chad.

Burke still blitzing from the corners on non-passing downs. He didn't dial up many blitzes against an OL that has been struggling to pick up the blitz. Not much pass rush all game.

People who wanted to move on from DVP are crazy.

The whole OL is playing lazy. I honestly don't think any of them deserve to be a starter. That includes Pouncey, James, and Tunsil. Tunsil still has a chance to redeem himself though.

5: James goes out. Young comes in, and we don't give him any help against Mack on a passing down? Surely that's pass offense 101! Terrible decision.

I liked the call, we just don't have the QB to execute it. When defenses apply pressure, I'm a fan of having more receivers, not more blockers. The top QB's in the league are getting the passes out before any defender can get near them. They know where to go with the ball pre-snap. Cutler cant read defenses. Have you ever seen Brady or Rodgers in a max protect? It will never happen.

Good call, bad QB imo.

Back
Top Bottom