Post Game Thoughts | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Post Game Thoughts

I'm encouraged, this was a good effort moving forward. I think we're sunk until Tannehill comes back but Cutler gave it his all last night. Probably as good as it's gets but can't fault him.

Tannehill will be nice to have back absolutely, but he is not the answer to all the problems by any means.

Cutler had his best game by far. But in the end all those drive-killing-penalties, Drake's fumble in the RZ, and our terrible 3rd down defense is what cost us the game.

Last edited:
Shula counts preparation and accountability as the keys to his team’s success.

“We just took a lot of pride in being the team that had the least mental errors,” the former coach says. “If something happened in practice—if someone grabbed ahold of somebody else [a penalty]—I would have stopped practice. I would make an example of them. ‘If this happened in a critical play in the game, the play would be nullified, and we’d end up not winning the game because of that.’ You stress to them the importance of doing it the right way. But if you let it go in practice and then it happens in the game, it’s your fault that you didn’t make the correction in practice.”

Watching Shula teams and watching this team is like night and day. Yes some of the penalties should be on a highlight reel for how "not" to call a game but some of those penalties were just flat out 'poor between the ears' category.

“We just took a lot of pride in being the team that had the least mental errors,” the former coach says. “If something happened in practice—if someone grabbed ahold of somebody else [a penalty]—I would have stopped practice. I would make an example of them. ‘If this happened in a critical play in the game, the play would be nullified, and we’d end up not winning the game because of that.’ You stress to them the importance of doing it the right way. But if you let it go in practice and then it happens in the game, it’s your fault that you didn’t make the correction in practice.”

Watching Shula teams and watching this team is like night and day. Yes some of the penalties should be on a highlight reel for how "not" to call a game but some of those penalties were just flat out 'poor between the ears' category.

Good quote, but keep in mind, what would draw a flag today would have been laughed at back then. Back then you could get away with ALOT more.

Shula teams were always the best or near the best in the league in terms of being least penalized. I haven't looked it up but am willing to bet the same is true for BB teams. No coincidence these guys teams went to 6 and 7 (and counting) SBs over basically the same time period (15 years-ish). Hard to win when you start every drive at 1st and 20.

I rewatched the condensed version of the game.

- I was a little too generous to Bobby McCain. He's still pretty marginal.

- I was a little too harsh on Laremy Tunsil. Maybe a lot too harsh. He actually wasn't bad. Disappointing considering the expectations, but not bad.

- Mike Pouncey still sucks, and Bushrod is completely washed up now.

- Kenyan Drake is better than I thought. Just secure that football, buddy.

PFF sucks just like McCain.

Yes, of course your opinions set the standard. Perhaps you should also be ruling the world with all your vast wisdom and knowledge. So how many people are paying you for your analytics??

just for thought. Watch the blocking by everybody here... but Pouncey.

Pouncey doesn't miss that block and Wanny may have a Matt Patricia avatar right now

couple more here on Travis's page... yikes Pouncey is bad

https://twitter.com/WingfieldNFL

That's a terrible example. Bushrod gets no push and ends up in the backfield. If he got any push, then Pouncey would have been in great position for his block.

RB had to cut up because of Bushrod

Yes, of course your opinions set the standard. Perhaps you should also be ruling the world with all your vast wisdom and knowledge. So how many people are paying you for your analytics??
Don’t need analytics to see that MCCain is a poor corner. Can’t believe I’m arguing about a mediocre player

I rewatched the condensed version of the game.

- I was a little too generous to Bobby McCain. He's still pretty marginal.

- I was a little too harsh on Laremy Tunsil. Maybe a lot too harsh. He actually wasn't bad. Disappointing considering the expectations, but not bad.

- Mike Pouncey still sucks, and Bushrod is completely washed up now.

- Kenyan Drake is better than I thought. Just secure that football, buddy.

I was watching some cut-ups of Drake and he does a lot of thing right as a rb. I keep thinking of the types of RBs that would give us fits in the past and he fits the mold. A complete mismatch in the passing game and has an excellent understanding of where he should go and how to hit the hole. It is going to be interesting to see if he holds up health wise and shows improvement with more live reps.

Cutler played better, but overall he still isn't playing well enough to win in this league. He's playing street ball just as much as Landry or Ajayi did. He's still afraid to take shots downfield unless his target is wide open. This guy isn't going to make a play unless all other conditions are perfect. He played good enough to get you beat.

Jakeem Grant can GTFO. He hasn't helped us in field position at all this year. Time to make a change here Rizzo. Put Landry back on PR/KR and maybe we can get decent field position once and a while.

Gase is still calling **** plays. 3rd and 10+ yards is an always predictable draw play for the Fins. You can count on at least 3 WR screen attempts per game. None have ever worked. And just poor overall 3rd down playcalling again. This is starting to look like a Dan Henning offense, and our QB is starting to look like check-down Chad.

Burke still blitzing from the corners on non-passing downs. He didn't dial up many blitzes against an OL that has been struggling to pick up the blitz. Not much pass rush all game.

People who wanted to move on from DVP are crazy.

The whole OL is playing lazy. I honestly don't think any of them deserve to be a starter. That includes Pouncey, James, and Tunsil. Tunsil still has a chance to redeem himself though.

Lock me up! I'm freakin nuts! DVP? I'd trade him straight up for Rishard Matthews. One guy makes plays, the other is DVP. Not even close. One has great talent that can't stay on the field, the other has great desire & can be counted on every week. IDK, our "great WR" corp just isn't looking that way. Between DVP not being able to stay on the field & Landry not knowing the playbook... Great is not a word I'd use for this group. JMO

just for thought. Watch the blocking by everybody here... but Pouncey.

Pouncey doesn't miss that block and Wanny may have a Matt Patricia avatar right now

couple more here on Travis's page... yikes Pouncey is bad

https://twitter.com/WingfieldNFL

I dont understand Gase's commitment to Pouncey. The guy has hip problems, he cant practice, and he doesnt execute his assignments.

Is Brendel THAT bad? He looked decent when he came in during the Jets game. (I think it was the Jets game anyway.)

Back
Top Bottom