Potential June 1 cuts | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Potential June 1 cuts

Yeah Kenyatta Walker isn't too good he has been a disappointment. He was one of those guys that was drafted for his potential and never made it, mainly because he couldn't make the switch from right to left as easily as coaches think it should be. Its a special quality I think, not to be taken for granted, when a guy can go from one side to the other easily.

I honestly would like to see Taylor Whitley get an opportunity, this is what we drafted him for, but if we got Middleton to fill in for another year while Whitley continues to develop, I would be ok with that.

I live in San Diego (transplant from Miami in the late 70's) And I've seen alot of Jr. Seau and Disgustipate Says Jeremiah Trotter is a freelancer at L.B.. So was Seau but when the Dolphins traded for him he was told what his role would be and he has stuck to that and i think he has played pretty well in Miami. If Trotter can do the sme that certainly add some much needed Depth.

Spielman likes young FAs because he is trying to fill holes from previous bad drafts. He needs players of a certain age to help keep the overall team's age at the level it should be IF those drafts had been good.

CK, I agree... I personally think we have the Oline of our future on the current roster. But, some of them may need 1 year or so to learn/jello. I'd like to see another vet like Middleton in the mix to help teach and buy us some time for our younger guys to develop.

I think one of the reasons why Dilfer might be cut, is he is thinking of retiring.

There are two guys that Id look at on that list:

1) Whitfield - Right now we only have one LT on the roster (Wade Smith). For the right price hed be excellent value as a backup LT.

2) Gannon - If hes healthy (a big if), he represents an upgrade for us at QB. And no matter what public posturing Dave and RS convey to the media, we must exhaust every avenue while attempting to upgrade each position on the team- including QB. In such a scenario, Fiedler would be the odd man out, since AJ is widely viewed as the teams future signal caller. Truth be told, Gannon may even be privy to signing with the Fins if he believes he has a shot at the starting job. And with Feeley coming along slowly thus far (as expected), Gannon may be able to swoop in and steal the job from under AJ's nose.

Having said all that, I see RS making a move for Whitfield, not Gannon

I'd like to see us nab WR Terrell for the right price.

Middleton might be worth a look

Whitfield will retire right ?

Terrell of em all makes the most sense since he is young, big and c/b better than DT or Tolver, Minnis etc. He had 43 catches last year. I thought he returns punts, too

The 3 guys that interest me are Terrell, Middleton and Trotter.
Terrell- Has underachieved, but hasn't been terible when you consider the offense he played in. Under coach Sullivan he could blossom and at least be a very affective 3rd WR and potential #2 on a injury basis.

Middleton- would add depth and experience to a thin and young line. Would alot if McIntosh can't play.

Trotter- Probably won't happen becuae of price tag. But he would add depth to position that IMO is the is the most troublesome from a depth standpoint. Could he start on the outside? Instead of Geenwood or in case of injury?

pigskinguy said:
The 3 guys that interest me are Terrell, Middleton and Trotter.
Terrell- Has underachieved, but hasn't been terible when you consider the offense he played in. Under coach Sullivan he could blossom and at least be a very affective 3rd WR and potential #2 on a injury basis.

Middleton- would add depth and experience to a thin and young line. Would alot if McIntosh can't play.

Trotter- Probably won't happen becuae of price tag. But he would add depth to position that IMO is the is the most troublesome from a depth standpoint. Could he start on the outside? Instead of Geenwood or in case of injury?

I agree on that bt if David Terrel(starter) can come in and play as a third wide out which I doubt then it would be good for us. HOwever, many see this guy as a potential 1st and 2nd wide out so don't count that out. Specialy since he's catch balls from 4 different quarterbacks in 3 years.

I don't think Trotter will be expensive, I just don't see him fitting in on this team either attitude-wise OR talent-wise. Junior Seau is not to be compared to Jeremiah Trotter. Marvin Lewis' defense didn't take hold in Washington basically because the veterans didn't buy into it and continued to freelance and do their thing, and Trotter was part of that. If you ask me whether I'd have Trotter or Morlon Greenwood manning the SSLB spot, honestly with Trotter's injury issues and inability to stay disciplined and play a role, I might just say stick with Morlon...especially if there's money involved. As for Junior's spot, I'm not giving up Junior Seau for Jeremiah Trotter, sorry. And after that you're signing him to be a backup where some team will probably offer him the starting job, sorry but he'll say no.

We are fine at LB right now. I'm very happy with the position. I truly believe that with Bua, Moore, Jenkins, and Pope, we have a very solid backup situation. I know that Jenkins can cover, and do it well, so we've got nickel covered and passing situations should someone go down. Moore is also really good at coverage and decent at tackling too so he can fill that in well. Our backup MLB is Morlon Greenwood, and that is fine. He has really improved recently and the more opportunities he gets, he makes good on them. Being our MLB should Zach go down, he'll get plenty of opportunities, and I'm convinced he'll make good. If Junior went down I wouldn't fret at all with Eddie Moore or Tony Bua filling in.

ckparrothead said:
I don't think Trotter will be expensive, I just don't see him fitting in on this team either attitude-wise OR talent-wise. Junior Seau is not to be compared to Jeremiah Trotter. Marvin Lewis' defense didn't take hold in Washington basically because the veterans didn't buy into it and continued to freelance and do their thing, and Trotter was part of that. If you ask me whether I'd have Trotter or Morlon Greenwood manning the SSLB spot, honestly with Trotter's injury issues and inability to stay disciplined and play a role, I might just say stick with Morlon...especially if there's money involved. As for Junior's spot, I'm not giving up Junior Seau for Jeremiah Trotter, sorry. And after that you're signing him to be a backup where some team will probably offer him the starting job, sorry but he'll say no.

We are fine at LB right now. I'm very happy with the position. I truly believe that with Bua, Moore, Jenkins, and Pope, we have a very solid backup situation. I know that Jenkins can cover, and do it well, so we've got nickel covered and passing situations should someone go down. Moore is also really good at coverage and decent at tackling too so he can fill that in well. Our backup MLB is Morlon Greenwood, and that is fine. He has really improved recently and the more opportunities he gets, he makes good on them. Being our MLB should Zach go down, he'll get plenty of opportunities, and I'm convinced he'll make good. If Junior went down I wouldn't fret at all with Eddie Moore or Tony Bua filling in.

Hopefully I am wrong, but i don't see how you can feel "fine" with out LB depth. Our backups have ZERO experience. If Thomas, Seau, or Greenwood go down for a long period of time, I think we are in BIG, BIG trouble. Hope i am wrong, but I just don't feel comfortable in have to rely on a rookie.

Justasportsfan said:
THE HUDDLE REPORT

Potential June 1 Cuts
Rnk. Pos. Player Team Age Grade
1 QB Rich Gannon Raiders 38 6.30
2 QB Kurt Warner Rams 33 5.75
3 RB Eddie George Titans 30 5.50
4 MLB Jeremiah Trotter Redskins 27 5.35
5 OLB Jason Gildon Steelers 32 5.25
6 QB Trent Dilfer Seahawks 32 5.20
7 RB Mike Pittman Buccaneers 29 5.10
8 FB Will Henderson Packers 33 5.00
9 DT Ellis Johnson Falcons 30 5.00
10 DE Joe Johnson Packers 32 4.90
11 WR David Terrell Bears 25 4.70
12 DT Daryl Gardener Broncos 31 4.70
13 QB Vinny Testaverde Jets 40 4.65
14 RT Kenyatta Walker Buccaneers 25 4.65
15 G Frank Middleton Raiders 29 4.65
16 FS Zack Bronson 49ers 30 4.60
17 LT Bob Whitfield Falcons 31 4.60
18 QB Charlie Batch Steelers 29 4.55
19 RB Trung Canidate Redskins 27 4.55
20 SS Robert Griffith Browns 33 4.55
21 CB Tyrone Williams Falcons 31 4.35

a Tatonka find

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/2004FA/junecuts.htm
It's interesting to note that no Dolphins appear on the list. Does anyone have any thoughts about what this says about our management of player personnel? My top-line sense is that it reflects well that we haven't placed ourselves in the position of having to cut -- for cap reasons -- anyone considered worthy of a roster spot. But one could also say that a team in a position to cut good but older and expensive vets may be doing a particularly good job bringing up younger, less expensive talent.

So... is this good or is it bad, and why?

they are not the lovliest bunch of coconuts but I wd look at Whitfield for sure. he's not overly ripe.

I'd like to see us take a look at Middleton, Terrell and Whitfield if he decides not to retire. Terrell especially...since he could team with CC and DB to give us a absolutely sick 1-2-3 punch at WR (Terrell may not have lived up to his draft billing, but hes still a very solid WR). An offense with a re-vamped oline, a franchise RB, a stronger armed QB (AJ) and that group of WRs (not to mention McMichael) would be a HUGE improvement over the offensive ineptitude of last season.

Back
Top Bottom