QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri

You know the saying "Every day is the worst day of my life"?

Every game I watch of Jake Locker's is the worst game I've seen him play. Newest example, reviewing the UCLA game.

How ANYONE could want that guy is completely and utterly beyond me.

the physical tools are impressive...its everything else that has me not interested...at all in jake locker

Colt McCoy - a QB not many were not high on, and certainly a lesser prospect than Gabbert - came out of the spread and had success his first season in the NFL. I think there are certain advantages to a QB running the spread. In today's NFL game, I think it's very important that a QB be comfortable running an offense out of the shotgun. Many important drives are operated strictly out of the shotgun, and it's also a valuable weapon against D's like Pittsburgh - where you can't run on them, and they know you can't run on them, but if you spread them out, you can make them look a little more ordinary. Speculation, but I think we're seeing more "real" QB's (as opposed to athletes at the QB position) coming out of spread offenses, and we're seeing many of them succeed early in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love how people like Stanzi as a QB because he looks like Tom Brady. That is some funny sh.t.

Dude can't throw a deep ball, is inaccurate, but yeah he is reminiscent of Tom Brady.

Brady had the desire and coaching to perfect his technique

I am sure even Ron Wolf had no idea how good he would become

pretending to know how well ANY college QB will do in the pros is folly

who wouldn't take Rothlesberger over Eli Manning right now?

Colt McCoy - a QB not many were not high on, and certainly a lesser prospect than Gabbert - came out of the spread and had success his first season in the NFL. I think there are certain advantages to a QB running the spread. In today's NFL game, I think it's very important that a QB be comfortable running an offense out of the shotgun. Many important drives are operated strictly out of the shotgun, and it's also a valuable weapon against D's like Pittsburgh - where you can't run on them, and they know you can't run on them, but if you spread them out, you can make them look a little more ordinary. Speculation, but I think we're seeing more "real" QB's (as opposed to athletes at the QB position) coming out of spread offenses, and we're seeing many of them succeed early in the NFL.

Much like Tebow, Colt is one of those guys who has such great intangibles it is hard to go against him

Colt reminds me of Joe Montana - a very poor man's Joe Montana, but still . . . from his size to his mobility to his unspectacular arm to his intangibles. Montana is the QB I always think of when I watch McCoy. I don't think he'll ever be close to that level - hard to project anyone to be - but that's my honest take on him.

In a way yes my opinion of him has changed a little after last night. He and the Missouri offense had a month to prepare for this game and because of that I saw a number of things that were a little different from what I saw earlier in the Mizzou tapes. For one thing he and the receivers were generally a little sharper and on the same page with one another, except for the scrambles. For another, he clearly worked on his feet and setup, and was showing a lot more quickness and urgency in his drop motions. What this translated to was better accuracy. His ball placement on the short stuff was still a little off as it has been before, but his intermediate ball was right on the money. I mean, we're talking 41 of 54 (76 percent!), probably a few more of his incompletions being catchable (at least one, the popped up interception)...and his shot selection was generally in the 25 to 30 yard range on his throws. This kid was throwing STRIKES and I can't help but wonder if it was because he was being more disciplined about his footwork.

If that's the case, that makes me feel even more strongly about the kid at the next level, that he'll get better if he continues to work on his fundamentals. He's a stud and the chances are LOW that he makes it to pick #16. The Dolphins would have to move up in order to get him.

I know the history behind 1st round QB picks...but after this year the entire offensive philosphy has to change. I was of the mindset of surrounding Henne with a quality OL and some talent at the WR position and a running game and he could develope into a good QB. My mind has changed...although I would not "cut" Henne as some has foolishly suggested, I do think until Miami REALLY makes up their mind and invest in the QB position we are never going to be more than 7-9, 8-8. What would take to move up to get this kid? Whatever it is within reason the Dolphins shoulkd do it. After drafting Pat White in the 2nd round...I really am not of the mindset that "it would be too expensive". Your thoughts?

Yesterday was the first time I saw Gabbert and 1st time in a year I saw Stanzi. I personally thought Stanzi looked better and seems to have improved since a year ago. I know Stanzi isn't the sexy name, but he has played in pro style offense and has put up pretty good numbers. You follow these college players more closely CK, whats your take on this kid? Seems like right now he is rated as a 2nd day pick (well now 3rd day with the new draft schedule)

It used to be a good and effective rule of thumb to avoid the spread QB when looking for an NFL QB. That is no longer the case. The college landscape has changed too dramatically and so has the NFL landscape. Spread principles are being applied to the NFL more and more. The shotgun is as popular as ever, to the point even West Coast Offenses are not only using it but becoming known for it (the shotgun used to be the antithesis of the WCO). The rules are being set up to allow QBs to survive the kind of hits they would regularly take operating an offense with spread principles. Look at the symptoms! This year a total of 14 QBs have QB Ratings that are 90+. That's staggering. What do spread QBs usually have at the college level? High QB Ratings. Look at how the Slot WR is suddenly becoming a starter quality position in the NFL. Look at how the only good TEs are the ones that can viably be split out wide like a receiver. These are ALL symptoms of spread principles getting more and more common.

And the college landscape, forget about it. There's an estimate that I believe that says that 80% of college offenses are now spread. So if you're staying away from the spread QBs, you're staying away from 80% of your talent pool. The "pro style" QBs coming out of High School nowadays, they don't steer toward pro style offenses anymore. They go off to spread offenses because they know they can accumulate King Kong stats, and compete for Championships.

This is what makes a guy like T.J. Yates in his John Shoop offense such a rarity.

You know the saying "Every day is the worst day of my life"?

Every game I watch of Jake Locker's is the worst game I've seen him play. Newest example, reviewing the UCLA game.

How ANYONE could want that guy is completely and utterly beyond me.

I *don't* want him, I'm just saying he would be available. In fact, I don't want a QB in the first round unless it's Luck or Mallett (fat chance). I'd rather we go sexy and grab someone like a Julio Jones or go boring and grab another tackle to eventually replace Carey. Regardless, this draft *has* to be offensive minded.

Yesterday was the first time I saw Gabbert and 1st time in a year I saw Stanzi. I personally thought Stanzi looked better and seems to have improved since a year ago. I know Stanzi isn't the sexy name, but he has played in pro style offense and has put up pretty good numbers. You follow these college players more closely CK, whats your take on this kid? Seems like right now he is rated as a 2nd day pick (well now 3rd day with the new draft schedule)

I was not a huge fan of Stanzi before last night but I was keeping my mind open because I know that other people do like him, to the point where he appears in my Top 5 Senior QBs list...but last night, his stock fell for me. I don't think he has the arm or the decision-making. His story is a lot like T.J. Yates. As recently as a year ago, Stanzi's football IQ has been in HEAVY question and he's thrown a lot of picks. When I watch him play though, I don't see the same emphasis on all the details, the same consistently safe decision-making, or the same physical talent that I see on Yates that actually makes me buy Yates as a guy that might have had the light go on for him a little bit. I see a guy that is a college QB...maybe a backup QB at the NFL level, but probably not.

Only exception to my offensive minded statement is for them to at least grab an ILB to replace either Crowder or Dobbins, or at least challenge them.

I was not a huge fan of Stanzi before last night but I was keeping my mind open because I know that other people do like him, to the point where he appears in my Top 5 Senior QBs list...but last night, his stock fell for me. I don't think he has the arm or the decision-making. His story is a lot like T.J. Yates. As recently as a year ago, Stanzi's football IQ has been in HEAVY question and he's thrown a lot of picks. When I watch him play though, I don't see the same emphasis on all the details, the same consistently safe decision-making, or the same physical talent that I see on Yates that actually makes me buy Yates as a guy that might have had the light go on for him a little bit. I see a guy that is a college QB...maybe a backup QB at the NFL level, but probably not.

There is no comparison between Stanzi and Gabbert IMO. Gabbert is a playmaker...whereas Stanzi is more of a manager. We all know how this offensive manager-play-not-to-lose mentality has worked out for us!

Only exception to my offensive minded statement is for them to at least grab an ILB to replace either Crowder or Dobbins, or at least challenge them.

AJ Edds . . . he will be the 3rd down ILB, while Crowder/Dobbins are the thumpers on the first 2 downs. Dobbins made plays behind the LOS, but man he looked bad on every TD they scored. Dansby was missed to say the least. Don't know if we draft a guy who will be better than Edds will be for us next season.

Ouch. Didn't think Stanzi was struggling with the picks this year; his year stats have him down for only 6 (not including last nights game), so I thought he had improved in that department. I know he doesn't have the arm that wows people, but whatever game I've watched, hes always seems to find a way to come out with a win.

Back
Top Bottom