QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri

Your negatives aren't wrong at all.

The thing is, that's what the offense intends for him to do. Also, the spread does make it harder and harder to get a read on how these kids will do in their pro drops. You have to do some projection with these kids.

Gabbert has quick feet, and seems to find his target quickly. I think he'll be fine with professional coaching.

I don't believe Gabbert is a guy that will walk into the NFL and start next year, but with a year or two to refine a few things, he's got Pro Bowl ability. I've been watching Gabbert for years (all the way back to high school as I'm in MO and he was an Elite 11 kid alongside Jacory Harris, and I'm a Canes fan).

CK...after seeing this kid last night...I am very high on him! I think this is the best chance for the Fins to land a potential (and I use this term very loosely)franchise QB. I love his pocket presence, his size, this release, and he has a great arm. Has your opinion of him changed after last night's game? Does the Dolphins actually have a shot at this kid...or am I just dreaming?

In a way yes my opinion of him has changed a little after last night. He and the Missouri offense had a month to prepare for this game and because of that I saw a number of things that were a little different from what I saw earlier in the Mizzou tapes. For one thing he and the receivers were generally a little sharper and on the same page with one another, except for the scrambles. For another, he clearly worked on his feet and setup, and was showing a lot more quickness and urgency in his drop motions. What this translated to was better accuracy. His ball placement on the short stuff was still a little off as it has been before, but his intermediate ball was right on the money. I mean, we're talking 41 of 54 (76 percent!), probably a few more of his incompletions being catchable (at least one, the popped up interception)...and his shot selection was generally in the 25 to 30 yard range on his throws. This kid was throwing STRIKES and I can't help but wonder if it was because he was being more disciplined about his footwork.

If that's the case, that makes me feel even more strongly about the kid at the next level, that he'll get better if he continues to work on his fundamentals. He's a stud and the chances are LOW that he makes it to pick #16. The Dolphins would have to move up in order to get him.

I was not impressed w/ Gabbert @ the Insight Bowl last night. His predecessor (Chase Daniel) has not exactly lit it up at the next level either. Truthfully, No QB who runs a spread in college IMO has much success in the NFL. Other than Drew Brees, I'm hard pressed to think of one. John Beck, Max Hall, Kliff Kingsbury, Graham Harrell, Timmy Chang, Patrick Ramsey, etc... Maybe it was the hairdo or the demeanor but I thought Tom Brady was play for Iowa last night. In short, Stanzi really impressed me. Maybe I'm just biased as we were born on the same day (yrs apart).

truth texted me last night and made me aware that gabbert going into yesterday only had 15 tds this season...the guy i saw last night in that spread offense should be torching people and putting up huge td totals...

so what gives???

I love how people like Stanzi as a QB because he looks like Tom Brady. That is some funny sh.t.

Dude can't throw a deep ball, is inaccurate, but yeah he is reminiscent of Tom Brady.

I was not impressed w/ Gabbert @ the Insight Bowl last night. His predecessor (Chase Daniel) has not exactly lit it up at the next level either.

Chase Daniel is a weak-armed midget that performed well in that offense because he'd been playing in that offense since junior high. His throwing skills, pure throwing skills, were weak. And if you think that Blaine Gabbert's pure throwing skills are weak, then I think you either need to take another look, or you might not recognize what you're seeing as well as you hope.

Truthfully, No QB who runs a spread in college IMO has much success in the NFL. Other than Drew Brees, I'm hard pressed to think of one. John Beck, Max Hall, Kliff Kingsbury, Graham Harrell, Timmy Chang, Patrick Ramsey, etc...

Sam Bradford ran the spread. Drew Brees did. Joe Flacco ran a shortgun attack based on a lot of spread principles at Delaware. Josh Freeman.

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

ricky stanzi stock down...

...yeah, definitely gonna have to agree with you on that one.

truth texted me last night and made me aware that gabbert going into yesterday only had 15 tds this season...the guy i saw last night in that spread offense should be torching people and putting up huge td totals...

so what gives???

He's accounted for 21 TDs this year. He accounted for 27 TDs a year ago. That's 48 TDs in 26 games. Not bad.

When you lose talented seniors like Danario Alexander (doing well on the Rams right now), Jared Perry and Derrick Washington, and you're replacing with a sophomore QB convert in T.J. Moe, and a TE Michael Egnew...there's some growing pains.

His previous guys knew how to run Gary Pinkel's scheme, knew how to uncover. These current guys (Jerrell Jackson, Wes Kemp especially)...not so much.

This offense actually places a lot of read responsibility on Gabbert. He's responsible for reading the LBs and can call the bubble screen at any time on any play. That's actually not as common for an OC to trust a QB with that kind of responsibility as you'd think.

I was not impressed w/ Gabbert @ the Insight Bowl last night. His predecessor (Chase Daniel) has not exactly lit it up at the next level either. Truthfully, No QB who runs a spread in college IMO has much success in the NFL. Other than Drew Brees, I'm hard pressed to think of one. John Beck, Max Hall, Kliff Kingsbury, Graham Harrell, Timmy Chang, Patrick Ramsey, etc... Maybe it was the hairdo or the demeanor but I thought Tom Brady was play for Iowa last night. In short, Stanzi really impressed me. Maybe I'm just biased as we were born on the same day (yrs apart).

That's the problem. You say you were not impressed "last night" but you provide a reason that is a comparison to some past quarterbacks who played in similar offensive system. That has nothing to do with last night. You are simply not impressed with how that offensive system transitions pquarterbacks to NFL. It has nothing to do with Gabbert's skill.

All that is well, but Gabbert made some throws yesterday that were big time, I mean Peyton Manning big time. The 40 yard bullet between corner and cover 2 safety on the sideline, in tight coverage, that was a big time throw. Henne, with much greater spacing in NFL, could not deliver that throw if his life depended on it.

That's the problem. You say you were not impressed "last night" but you provide a reason that is a comparison to some past quarterbacks who played in similar offensive system. That has nothing to do with last night. You are simply not impressed with how that offensive system transitions pquarterbacks to NFL. It has nothing to do with Gabbert's skill.

All that is well, but Gabbert made some throws yesterday that were big time, I mean Peyton Manning big time. The 40 yard bullet between corner and cover 2 safety on the sideline, in tight coverage, that was a big time throw. Henne, with much greater spacing in NFL, could not deliver that throw if his life depended on it.

Absolutely.

The defense he scorched last night is a very classic NFL cover two type defense, and he made a lot of NFL throws that are designed to beat that sort of defense.

He's accounted for 21 TDs this year. He accounted for 27 TDs a year ago. That's 48 TDs in 26 games. Not bad.

When you lose talented seniors like Danario Alexander (doing well on the Rams right now), Jared Perry and Derrick Washington, and you're replacing with a sophomore QB convert in T.J. Moe, and a TE Michael Egnew...there's some growing pains.

His previous guys knew how to run Gary Pinkel's scheme, knew how to uncover. These current guys (Jerrell Jackson, Wes Kemp especially)...not so much.

This offense actually places a lot of read responsibility on Gabbert. He's responsible for reading the LBs and can call the bubble screen at any time on any play. That's actually not as common for an OC to trust a QB with that kind of responsibility as you'd think.

i don't know ck...15 passing tds in that offense seems low to me...spread qbs should have inflated #s...especially ones as talented as gabbert...guess i should look at some other games

i fail to see where chase daniels has any place in this discussion...daniels can't hold gabberts jock as a prospect...in any capacity

i'm surprised daniels is even on an nfl roster to be honest...

i don't know ck...15 passing tds in that offense seems low to me...spread qbs should have inflated #s...especially ones as talented as gabbert...guess i should look at some other games

This ain't the Mizzou offense that features Chase Coffman, Martin Rucker, Jeremy Maclin and Danario Alexander. And they play in the Big 12, not the WAC, MAC or MWC . He had 24 passing TDs back when Danario was still playing with him. They're 10-3 this year.

Gabbert looks like he could use another year in school, but I would like to see him in a different offense. If he comes out, you definitely want to sit on him for a year and allow him to continue to work on his mechanics and footwork. I also noticed the "bail" thing, he seems a bit shaky in the mini pocket that he has . . . you gotta see more snaps from this guy under center. The Combine and Pro Day will decide if he is available when we pick (if he comes out at all).

But dude does look the part, and throwing out the real bad pick 6 . . . he had a hell of a game.

And to his credit, dude's WR's suck, him and Jake Locker were dealt bad hands at there perspective schools . . . but he does look better than Locker, and that is something I would not have said before last night (haven't watched many Mizzou games) . . . but I'm worried about him under center.

If that's the case, that makes me feel even more strongly about the kid at the next level, that he'll get better if he continues to work on his fundamentals. He's a stud and the chances are LOW that he makes it to pick #16. The Dolphins would have to move up in order to get him.

I think that depends on many factors. If Luck stays in college, then I can see Gabbert moving up that high. However, if all four stay in and test well, I just don't think there's enough space in the 1st round for Gabbert to be snatched up prior to 16 unless he leap frogs over Newton, Locker, or Mallett. I also don't think he will be available in the 3rd, though, and if the Dolphins want him, they will have to make a trade to get back into the late 1st, or early 2nd.

Edit: And just in case he does leap frog and isn't available by #16, then Newton or Locker will most likely be available.

Back
Top Bottom