QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri

There is no comparison between Stanzi and Gabbert IMO. Gabbert is a playmaker...whereas Stanzi is more of a manager. We all know how this offensive manager-play-not-to-lose mentality has worked out for us!

I don't mind a manager of the offense. Peyton Manning is a manager of an offense. Tom Brady is a manager of an offense. What I mind is that Ricky Stanzi doesn't seem to have the vision or decision-making to actually be that.

Ouch. Didn't think Stanzi was struggling with the picks this year; his year stats have him down for only 6 (not including last nights game), so I thought he had improved in that department. I know he doesn't have the arm that wows people, but whatever game I've watched, hes always seems to find a way to come out with a win.

He HAD improved in that department. But, put him in a bowl setting, lights on, cameras up, Missouri's winning...and he went back to the old Ricky Stanzi. When his own coach has said about the guy that at times last year he thought his football IQ had to be in the single-digits, that's a red flag. And you know, not for nothing but in your "safe" year in college, when you only get your interception rate down to 2.2%...that's not flooring me. It was 3.5% in 2008, 4.9% in 2009, and is now 2.2% in 2010. Thing is most of these guys walk out with interception rates below the 2.0% mark, and we're supposed to be impressed because a guy got his down from 4.9% to 2.2%? Not sure about that. His career interception rate is 3.6%.

Incidentally if what happened to Stanzi also happens to T.J. Yates in his bowl game (return of the interception demons), then he too could come down my board a little bit. But I feel pretty confident that's not going to happen because I've seen the guy in enough high pressure situations this year, watched him come through enough, to where I feel he's going to perform under the pressure.

There is no comparison between Stanzi and Gabbert IMO. Gabbert is a playmaker...whereas Stanzi is more of a manager. We all know how this offensive manager-play-not-to-lose mentality has worked out for us!

Gabbert was certainly the playmaker for Iowa last night throwing the pick 6 and giving the game away and then after throwing for 400+ yards on his last drive failed to get his team past midfield.

As for Stanzi, yeah he looked bad last night but you have to look at the whole body of work for both these guys before you jump on or jump off the bandwagon. Stanzi's play definitely tapered off towards the end of the season and that hurts his draft stock. He's going to have to have a solid senior bowl to stay in the 2nd round and not drop further down.

Gabbert, for me, had bad ball placement especially early in the game. Seems he was throwing into the body of his receivers on the crossing routes and slants instead of leading them. He also threw a lot of high passes putting his receivers in a bad position. His receivers were phenominal last night making catch after catch, including some very nice diving catches. The offense Missouri runs doesn't show me enough of how well he reads the field. It's not like what Oklahoma runs as someone mentioned. Oklahoma has the QB run through some progressions, I didn't see Gabbert do that. The two picks he threw were bad despite what CK says. The second one especially, whether the WR should have come back to him or not the CB had position on him and he floated it up there as if the CB was no where near the WR. You just can't do that with the lead, that's Henne-esque.

I'll look at some more film...I like to use ESPN3 replays of games instead of some highlight film. Anybody can have a highlight film and look good.

i agree with it was hard to get a read on how gabbert reads the field and goes thru progressions in that offense...whereas with devlin it was very easy to see that he sees the whole field...but gabbert also threw the ball down the field in the 25 to 30 yard zone and threw strikes...devlin has way too much dink and dunk in him in that offense for my taste...an awful lot of underneath and the competition he's doing it against stinks...

i still think gabberts a 1st round talent...off of what i saw yesterday

i agree with it was hard to get a read on how gabbert reads the field and goes thru progressions in that offense...whereas with devlin it was very easy to see that he sees the whole field...but gabbert also threw the ball down the field in the 25 to 30 yard zone and threw strikes...devlin has way too much dink and dunk in him in that offense for my taste...an awful lot of underneath and the competition he's doing it against stinks...

i still think gabberts a 1st round talent...off of what i saw yesterday

I'm not convinced yet but like I told you I'm real critical on QBs simply because I've been burned by them in the draft, lol. Guys I think are good end up sucking...although I'm getting better. I liked Bradford and McCoy a lot, hated Clausen and the rest. I was indifferent towards Chad Henne (not thrilled about that pick at the time) but then I thought Brian Brohm was going to be a stud, lol.

Freakin QBs...pick the wrong one early and your career as a GM/coach is over, pick the right one and your a freakin genius.

pick the right qb and as a head coach you go from meh to elite easy...you could have ronald mcdonald coaching the colts under peyton manning and as long as that hc stays out of the way the colts offense is gonna do major damage

i mean has anyone even heard or seen the current head coach of the colts utter a word during a game broadcast??? lol...i haven't...he knows where his bread is buttered

Gabbert was certainly the playmaker for Iowa last night throwing the pick 6 and giving the game away and then after throwing for 400+ yards on his last drive failed to get his team past midfield.

41 of 54 for 436 yards. Yeah, he was making TONS of plays for Iowa. Sure.

As for Stanzi, yeah he looked bad last night but you have to look at the whole body of work for both these guys before you jump on or jump off the bandwagon. Stanzi's play definitely tapered off towards the end of the season and that hurts his draft stock. He's going to have to have a solid senior bowl to stay in the 2nd round and not drop further down.

Stay in the 2nd round? That implies that he was ever rated there. I guarantee he's not been rated there by the scouts and I guarantee he won't go in the 2nd round.

The two picks he threw were bad despite what CK says. The second one especially, whether the WR should have come back to him or not the CB had position on him and he floated it up there as if the CB was no where near the WR. You just can't do that with the lead, that's Henne-esque.

The TWO picks were bad? Bull sh-t. That first pick was not bad at all. A 23 yard stick throw to a guy slanting over the middle and the ball is in the middle of the strike zone to where the receiver isn't reaching back for it. To complain about AT MOST six inches of placement on that fastball is just plain nonsense. The receiver reached out with his hands and straight up bricked the thing. It popped up in the air and was an interception. Receiver's fault. Period. End of story.

I'll look at some more film...I like to use ESPN3 replays of games instead of some highlight film. Anybody can have a highlight film and look good.

That's one thing we can at least agree on.

I continue to be baffled by this populist sentiment that Ricky Stanzi looked more impressive in that game than Blaine Gabbert. Y'all keep loving you some Stanzi over Gabbert, and watch as Gabbert goes high in the 1st round and Stanzi drops...and drops...and drops...and drops...

I continue to be baffled by this populist sentiment that Ricky Stanzi looked more impressive in that game than Blaine Gabbert. Y'all keep loving you some Stanzi over Gabbert, and watch as Gabbert goes high in the 1st round and Stanzi drops...and drops...and drops...and drops...

Ill never understand the Stanzi love

I'm not convinced yet but like I told you I'm real critical on QBs simply because I've been burned by them in the draft, lol. Guys I think are good end up sucking...although I'm getting better. I liked Bradford and McCoy a lot, hated Clausen and the rest. I was indifferent towards Chad Henne (not thrilled about that pick at the time) but then I thought Brian Brohm was going to be a stud, lol.

Freakin QBs...pick the wrong one early and your career as a GM/coach is over, pick the right one and your a freakin genius.

lol...i hear ya about grading on a tough scale...i think i have the toughest non qb grading scale on this forum...current dolphins or draft prospects or players around the rest of the league for that matter ha ha

I don't mind a manager of the offense. Peyton Manning is a manager of an offense. Tom Brady is a manager of an offense. What I mind is that Ricky Stanzi doesn't seem to have the vision or decision-making to actually be that.

CK...both Manning and Brady are not managers..theyr'e playmakers...they make DC's cringe...last time we had a QB like that...his name was Dan

41 of 54 for 436 yards. Yeah, he was making TONS of plays for Iowa. Sure.
Didn't say he made TONS of plays, only one big play was needed and it cost him the game.

Stay in the 2nd round? That implies that he was ever rated there. I guarantee he's not been rated there by the scouts and I guarantee he won't go in the 2nd round.
Going off of what Slimm had him rated as earlier this season. I'm not sure where he'll go yet until I see which underclassmen declare and how he does at the senior bowl.

The TWO picks were bad? Bull sh-t. That first pick was not bad at all. A 23 yard stick throw to a guy slanting over the middle and the ball is in the middle of the strike zone to where the receiver isn't reaching back for it. To complain about AT MOST six inches of placement on that fastball is just plain nonsense. The receiver reached out with his hands and straight up bricked the thing. It popped up in the air and was an interception. Receiver's fault. Period. End of story.

It was a pick, I could make excuses for half of Henne's 18 picks...does that make him any better, lessen the blow of the turnover? Henne threw a rope to the middle of the field when Bess fell down, Levy picked it off and returned it for 6...somehow that doesn't seem to work for me like it does you...I don't feel any better. As they say, this is a game of inches and 6 inches was the difference between a touchdown and an interception resulting in points off the board. At worst they get a FG making the game 27-27 before Stanzi threw that pass to Reisner that ended up at the 1 and would have won the game anyway.

That's one thing we can at least agree on.

We've agreed on other things...just not here...not yet, lol. I have to do more research to see for myself. There's no fun in me taking everyone's word for something...how can I argue my point then?

Gabbert, for me, had bad ball placement especially early in the game. Seems he was throwing into the body of his receivers on the crossing routes and slants instead of leading them. He also threw a lot of high passes putting his receivers in a bad position. His receivers were phenominal last night making catch after catch, including some very nice diving catches. The offense Missouri runs doesn't show me enough of how well he reads the field. It's not like what Oklahoma runs as someone mentioned. Oklahoma has the QB run through some progressions, I didn't see Gabbert do that. The two picks he threw were bad despite what CK says. The second one especially, whether the WR should have come back to him or not the CB had position on him and he floated it up there as if the CB was no where near the WR. You just can't do that with the lead, that's Henne-esque.

Football as you know is a team game...one pick in the endzone was a tipped ball the receiver should fave had. The kid did force some throws..but without him they would not have been in the position to win the game to start with. Missouri played well enough offensively to win the game but they're defense did not. He has great arm strength, a qick release and great size. I loved the way he played last night except for about 5 plays. Gabbert is so far ahead of Stanze it is really not even debaitable...Iowa has the better team.

He HAD improved in that department. But, put him in a bowl setting, lights on, cameras up, Missouri's winning...and he went back to the old Ricky Stanzi. When his own coach has said about the guy that at times last year he thought his football IQ had to be in the single-digits, that's a red flag. And you know, not for nothing but in your "safe" year in college, when you only get your interception rate down to 2.2%...that's not flooring me. It was 3.5% in 2008, 4.9% in 2009, and is now 2.2% in 2010. Thing is most of these guys walk out with interception rates below the 2.0% mark, and we're supposed to be impressed because a guy got his down from 4.9% to 2.2%? Not sure about that. His career interception rate is 3.6%.

Incidentally if what happened to Stanzi also happens to T.J. Yates in his bowl game (return of the interception demons), then he too could come down my board a little bit. But I feel pretty confident that's not going to happen because I've seen the guy in enough high pressure situations this year, watched him come through enough, to where I feel he's going to perform under the pressure.

Stanzi threw 25 TD and 6 INTs, including the game last night. His INT ratio is 1.74%...345 attempts, 6 INTs. Not sure where you got 2.2%.

Incidently, I hope you weren't refering to me showing Stanzi "love" over Gabbert cause I never mentioned Stanzi as being better than Gabbert or having a better game than Gabbert last night. As a matter of fact I texted hoops and told him that I thought Stanzi, towards the end of the game, was starting to press and forcing throws and I didn't like what I was seeing out of him.

I think Stanzi has potential but I think he checks down too much especially towards the end of the season. Now him not having his big play, drug dealing receiver may have had something to do with it in the bowl game but he was still checking down a lot. I like a little more "gunslinger" mentality in a QB. Not Brett Favre/Tony Romo amount but a more than what I've seen from Stanzi. Definitely something I see in Gabbert more, Mallet maybe has too much, Luck is perfect.

I think you're reaching big time criticizing Gabbert for that first interception.

And that last interception was one play among how many that he made? Where was the ground game to support him? Unlike Ricky Stanzi, he WAS the offense last night. They executed the game around him. They put the ball in his hands 70 times, only put the ball in other players' hands 16 times. And he rewarded them with an incredible 72% completion, while still keeping his yards per completion up at 10.6 yards, this against one of the top passing defenses in the nation. Ricky Stanzi had Marcus Coker barreling all over the Mizzou defense for 219 yards. He had it easy. And he still threw two bad interceptions.

I mean I understand the need to be cynical when something good is staring you in the face, I've been at the Draft game a long time and I know the actual "good" is pretty few and far between. I understand you have every reason to disagree with me and feel like that's ok, I encourage it. But I think you're out-thinking yourself on these two players.

I think there's something to be said for the criticism of Gabbert's shying away from contact, thought personally it's not something I mind as much because I want my QB to stay healthy first and then make good throws second. I also think you brought up exactly the right point about Gabbert's consistently off ball placement. But there's a difference between missing by 6 inches at 70 feet to a guy that's running at a fairly sharp left to right, and missing by 6 inches at 45 feet to a guy that's either staying still or coming back to you. Gabbert blew my mind with the consistent accuracy of his passes at 30 yard distances last night, and it's not even something I was expecting to see. The guy was putting on a CLINIC. And there's nothing to hold against him on that first interception, whether you're frustrated about Chad Henne's inability to read a defense or not doesn't change the fact that any criticism of that throw is nitpicky at best.

Back
Top Bottom