Quenton Nelson | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Quenton Nelson

I am 99.9% against drafting a guard in the first round, but Nelson is warming up to that .1% though he probably won't be available. If you can get a guy who has the ability to be Zach Martin at a position where we've had bad stop gaps for years and years.... Pull the trigger.

Just saying, Free agent left guard Andrew Norwell
will be available but at $$$$$$$$$$ and he did
make the 1st team allpro.

Just draft Nelson to play right guard and sign Norwell
to left guard and your line becomes something special

I thought our OL played well enough this year and plugging in a top OG prospect isnt going to elevate the OL play THAT much imo. We were able to create yards on the ground with Drake, and I am just not so sure using the 11 pick on an OG is the best value. Years ago when our OL was in shambles, drafting an OG in the 1st was reasonable, but I'm just not feeling it 2018.

I took a look at David DeCastro from back in 2011 just as a refresher, as DeCastro was a 1st round guard that has definitely been worth the 1st round pick.

DeCastro was not a fast player. Neither is Quenton Nelson.

But unlike Nelson, I was a pretty big fan of drafting DeCastro in the 1st round.

The reason why is ultimately when you watch the two, you come away noticing how much better DeCastro is in space. He may not have been a fast player but that gear-less, one-step pulling ability of his was unique. He maneuverable into space, and chopped his feet really well either in space or while engaged in the block. It wasn't coincidental when DeCastro went out and scored 84th percentile on the shuttle drill, or 98th percentile on the cone drill.

Quenton Nelson comes off as more of the lumbering type, with that cumbersome upper body that takes a while to get out on the move into a pull. He has longer, more explosive single strides, from a wider base.

My preference is usually for the former, all things being equal. But all things are not always equal when you're comparing the more maneuverable short-strider to the more explosive long-strider with the wider base. Power and anchor are usually on the side of the latter. But in this case that's where DeCastro was kind of unique. He had all that same power, all that same anchor.

It's hard not to see Nelson as the inferior prospect. But I suppose he's just a junior, and could develop.

Personally I don't see the point drafting Quenton Nelson high when I can get hold of a Will Hernandez much cheaper.

Maybe Tunsil is not at his best by himself over there. If we get Nelson and package the two together, I'd be very happy with that. Dude is tough, nasty and quick on his feet. He also pushes until the whistle is blown, no slack!

The only rationale that would sway me is the idea that a year ago this trio of WRs all had exceptional efficiency with Ryan Tannehill throwing the football, and that Kenyan Drake has been a great revelation, and thus you already have the bones of your offense in place and maybe you really should focus on adding the complementary elements that merely allow those stars to dominate games.

I agree with that, as I did in 2016, and it's what I disagreed with so much about their 2017 off season strategy.

But the primary problem I run into is still that I can do that with Will Hernandez just as easily as Quenton Nelson, and be no worse for the wear. I don't know that I see Nelson as a really rare prospect, period.

For the love of God just buy a proven guard in free agency, enough of wasting top picks on the O line...it hasn't worked!

Any thoughts on Virginia Tech guard Wyatt Teller. He looks like a solid NFL starting guard that could be added cheaply in th 3rd round or maybe even on day 3 of the draft? IHe might not be as good as Nelson or maybe Hernandez, but I could see him starting day one for Miami.

Last edited:
The only rationale that would sway me is the idea that a year ago this trio of WRs all had exceptional efficiency with Ryan Tannehill throwing the football, and that Kenyan Drake has been a great revelation, and thus you already have the bones of your offense in place and maybe you really should focus on adding the complementary elements that merely allow those stars to dominate games.

I agree with that, as I did in 2016, and it's what I disagreed with so much about their 2017 off season strategy.

But the primary problem I run into is still that I can do that with Will Hernandez just as easily as Quenton Nelson, and be no worse for the wear. I don't know that I see Nelson as a really rare prospect, period.
If your saying that their isn’t any difference between will Hernandez and Nelson ...I would say that I strongly disagree. Nelson is on another level competition wise, mental awareness and feel for the game. This guy blocks two defenders at the same time on more than one occasion.

If your saying that their isn’t any difference between will Hernandez and Nelson ...I would say that I strongly disagree. Nelson is on another level competition wise, mental awareness and feel for the game. This guy blocks two defenders at the same time on more than one occasion.

While I won't speak to the issues of competition, mental awareness, or feel for the game (because there's no point, it's your opinion and I have a different one), I will say with respect to the part in bold that, this is a phenomenon you often see in UTEP games as well.

I thought our OL played well enough this year and plugging in a top OG prospect isnt going to elevate the OL play THAT much imo. We were able to create yards on the ground with Drake, and I am just not so sure using the 11 pick on an OG is the best value. Years ago when our OL was in shambles, drafting an OG in the 1st was reasonable, but I'm just not feeling it 2018.
Our oline has sucked since 2010 and we havent had a fantastic guard since Sims. Its time.

Definitely nobody to reach on, but depending how the board falls I have no issues upgrading on the OL. There are other spots I prefer to address but come pick 11 and he is your top guy . . . You take him.

Back
Top Bottom