Question For CK And Other Draft Guru's: 2012 Draft Pass Rushers | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question For CK And Other Draft Guru's: 2012 Draft Pass Rushers

Burfict should be a good blitzer at the next level. He's got closing burst like anyone you'll ever see. But he's also smart and knows when to give up on a rush and try and be useful other ways, like when he snagged Matt Barkley's ill fated throw out of the sky when they faced one another.

I don't see him having that much trouble whether you're in a 3-4 or a 4-3, to be honest. Either way he has to make sure he studies his @ss off at the next level, and he has to stop getting stupid penalties. I don't think I've ever seen a more penalized player. Ever.

jenkins does have some explosive qualities...he was flashing to me last week against uva...not very impressed with what i saw from bequette today...

i see what you're getting at...just cause a kid went to the same school he should still be judged on his own merit...i get it...i'm just sayin nobody here watches more uva than me...i think i'm the only uva fan on this board can't say i blame anyone either cause til this season we've been dreadful but i would think that if cam had such redeeming qualities as an edge rusher 4-3 end i would have picked up on it by now...i would think...i mean i could understand a mid round pick there but not a top 50 one...not to me at least

i think if you're gonna have to use a pick on cam johnson in the same relative territory you would a courtney upshaw (who doesn't wow with athleticism or explosion imo) than i'd just rather pass on johnson and use the pick somewhere else...
Not true. Go Hoos tomorrow. Scott will be packed.

Not true. Go Hoos tomorrow. Scott will be packed.

well i stand corrected...i don't know if va will beat tech tomorrow but i think i can say with a straight face this is the first time in a very long time as in almost a decade where we had a real shot...

looking forward to it...

I am going to agree with CK on Upshaw. I think he is the best 34 outside linebacker prospect in the draft. The thing that I like is that he makes plays on the big stage. He has had a productive 2011 campaign (7.5 sacks, 1 INT) and he got to the quarterback against Florida and LSU and in Bama's win against the Florida Gators he also took an interception to the house. Two teams I see Upshaw really drawing interest from are the Chargers and the Jets.

Another pass rusher I am keen on is Whitney Mercilus out of Illinois. Mercilus will be able to either a 43 or 34 defense at the next level and has great size sitting at 6"4, 265 lbs. He has racked up 14.5 sacks thus far in the 2011 season. Mercilus is only a junior so it's no lock that he declares but if he does he is a top 45 pick without question.

Ronnell Lewis out of Oklahoma is another player I really like as a pass rusher. Doesn't possess the best size and his numbers don't jump off the charts at you but the guy is a good player. Teams like the Packers or Patriots will have their eye on this player come April.

Mercilus is buyer beware for me. only one year of production. on top of that, i don't think he's fluid enough to be a OLB. he's strictly a 4-3 DE in my book

For the pass rushing position I think a lot depends on who's running the show. If Ireland is still around, you have to think he's going to stick to the size requirements that BP always has for his OLBs (6'3" at the absolute minimum height, 250+) so that eliminates guys like Curry, Irvin, Jarvis Jones, Ronnell Lewis, and even Courtney Upshaw. Now Upshaw is my top 34 OLB in this class as well but we won't be in position to draft him as his value lies in the late teens/early 20s anyway.

Some guys that fit the size requirements that would be available on day 2/3 that I think we should look at are Andre Branch, Whitney Mercilus (JR), Nick Perry (JR), Alex Okafor (JR), and Shea McClellin. Now if we make the move to 4-3, I'm also a fan of Cam Johnson in terms of overall talent, at some point you have to question why his production and consistency aren't what they should be, should be interesting how the medical works out given the recent sickle cell trait thing that came out. I like Bequette as well. Some other mid-late rounders I like are Jack Crawford, Vince Browne, and Frank Alexander.

Back
Top Bottom