Question For CK and Others RE: Barkley | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question For CK and Others RE: Barkley

AP27

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Say The Dolphins end up with the #2 pick in the draft. Would Barklay's camp reach out to the Dolphins and get a feel for whether or not they would draft him? Would this go into his thought process of staying in school or coming out?

I don't think you can tamper with him before the draft since the Dolphins wouldn't have the first pick. Plus anything like that would possibly screw up his eligibility should he decide he wants to go back to school so it would be highly unlikely him or his camp would be receptive to anything from the NFL prior to him making his decision.

I suppose the Dolphins could say something publicly like if Andrew Luck is taken we'll take Matt Barkley...something to the effect that Carolina did last year when they said if Andrew Luck declares they were going to take him with the first pick. Outside of that I don't think the Dolphins can do much.

its not supposed to happen but i'm sure barkleys camp has feelers out already for where his value stands...imo mia should we not acquire the top pick should reach out prior to the draft declare deadline to him under the table...absolutely

we wouldn't be the only ones

Say The Dolphins end up with the #2 pick in the draft. Would Barklay's camp reach out to the Dolphins and get a feel for whether or not they would draft him? Would this go into his thought process of staying in school or coming out?

Absolutely not. Underclassmen are required to submit their paperwork to an NFL Draft Advisory Committee that will give them a rather conservative 'grade' back for the player to make his decision whether or not to come out.

He can't have any contact with an agent, or any "camp" that has anything to do with any of that. If he does, he has no choice but to come out. He's ineligible to go back to school at that point.

Absolutely not. Underclassmen are required to submit their paperwork to an NFL Draft Advisory Committee that will give them a rather conservative 'grade' back for the player to make his decision whether or not to come out.

He can't have any contact with an agent, or any "camp" that has anything to do with any of that. If he does, he has no choice but to come out. He's ineligible to go back to school at that point.

yeah but you don't think some if it goes on under the table...maybe not much now but just prior to the deadline to declare??? maybe i'm just not as trusting an individual as you...ha ha

yeah but you don't think some if it goes on under the table...maybe not much now but just prior to the deadline to declare??? maybe i'm just not as trusting an individual as you...ha ha

Of course it does, but you better not get caught doing it or you can't come back to school. USC is already sanctioned, and I doubt Barkley is the type of guy to get USC the death penalty based off his own interests.

There's ways for Barkley to know what his worth is without having to jeopardize his entire program.

He can do anything he wants after he decides he's not coming back next year. However, there's a certain protocol to follow so players don't get their programs in trouble... that's what the advisory committee is for.

Of course it does, but you better not get caught doing it or you can't come back to school. USC is already sanctioned, and I doubt Barkley is the type of guy to get USC the death penalty based off his own interests.

There's ways for Barkley to know what his worth is without having to jeopardize his entire program.

He can do anything he wants after he decides he's not coming back next year. However, there's a certain protocol to follow so players don't get their programs in trouble... that's what the advisory committee is for.

well if i'm miami a xmas card from me is showing up at barkleys residence and off campus apartment...and landry jones is getting a stocking...full of coal

I don't believe that's allowed, to be honest, and so I don't think Miami would do it. What Barkley would do is the same thing all the other underclass does, send in their tape to be reviewed and graded by the Advisory Committee. They'll review it and let him know if they see him as a high 1st rounder or whatever.

From what I've heard, Matt Barkley wants the choice to be 'easy'. I think there are some smart people out there that like Barkley for the #2 QB ranking behind Luck, but not enough of them. Right now there are still a lot of Landry Jones fans and recently I heard that the Broncos are falling in love with Brandon Weeden as much as I do (I have Weeden #2 behind Luck on pure talent).

Barkley isn't the kind of guy that is going to find things being 'easy' for him in the Draft, not unlike Drew Brees back in 2001. Not unlike a T.J. Yates a year ago. How he impresses you is with his depth and his detail, but most NFL people want to be wowed by physical characteristics and bullet throws.

Ah, I see Slimm has already answered the question. I agree with him. Barkley will submit his tape to be reviewed by the Advisory Committee and go through normal channels. I don't think he will try anything shady and/or risky, and even if he did I don't know that the Dolphins would reciprocate, hard to know that when we have no clue who will be in charge of the Dolphins.

Barkley reminds me a bit of Andy Dalton. And I mean that as a compliment. I have to say I was not a Dalton believer. Smallish, not a rocket arm. They have not seen Pittsburgh and Baltimore yet. But if Dalton acquits himself well in those 4 games, we can say that Peter King was right about him. The kid is nails. Makes the right reads and throws. He sees the field well. He has moxie. Smart and tough. Cincinnati getting both Green and Dalton was a massive coup. I will not at all be surprised if they someday hoist a Lombardi trophy. And, yes, I know it is the Bengals.

I see some of the same attributes with Barkley.

I don't believe that's allowed, to be honest, and so I don't think Miami would do it. What Barkley would do is the same thing all the other underclass does, send in their tape to be reviewed and graded by the Advisory Committee. They'll review it and let him know if they see him as a high 1st rounder or whatever.

From what I've heard, Matt Barkley wants the choice to be 'easy'. I think there are some smart people out there that like Barkley for the #2 QB ranking behind Luck, but not enough of them. Right now there are still a lot of Landry Jones fans and recently I heard that the Broncos are falling in love with Brandon Weeden as much as I do (I have Weeden #2 behind Luck on pure talent).

Barkley isn't the kind of guy that is going to find things being 'easy' for him in the Draft, not unlike Drew Brees back in 2001. Not unlike a T.J. Yates a year ago. How he impresses you is with his depth and his detail, but most NFL people want to be wowed by physical characteristics and bullet throws.

In your opinion, would a team in the top 5 pick Weeden over Barkley? Is Weeden that much better of a prospect that a team would willingly give up 6-7 years of production(based on the age of the two)?

If Barkley is looking for the answer to be "easy", Weeden could very well kill his chances of declaring.

In your opinion, would a team in the top 5 pick Weeden over Barkley? Is Weeden that much better of a prospect that a team would willingly give up 6-7 years of production(based on the age of the two)?

If Barkley is looking for the answer to be "easy", Weeden could very well kill his chances of declaring.

Not CK, but I don't see many teams (if any) risking a high draft pick on a QB who will be 29 not even midway through his rookie season.

As for the Barkley stuff. They even mentioned during the Notre Dame game, he wants to have no doubt in his mind about leaving USC. Now I'm confident that he'll be the number 2 QB by the end of the season (as much as I like Jones, I think Barkley is better), BUT next year is Barkley's LONE chance at winning a BCS bowl. I have my doubts he'll pass that up.

Not CK, but I don't see many teams (if any) risking a high draft pick on a QB who will be 29 not even midway through his rookie season.

As for the Barkley stuff. They even mentioned during the Notre Dame game, he wants to have no doubt in his mind about leaving USC. Now I'm confident that he'll be the number 2 QB by the end of the season (as much as I like Jones, I think Barkley is better), BUT next year is Barkley's LONE chance at winning a BCS bowl. I have my doubts he'll pass that up.

Tend to agree with all of that, as well as add Barkley would have a much better chance being taken first overall. Then again, this year we have alot of teams that have the potential to be good but are only missing a quarterback. That might be enough to push him.

Regardless, its still interesting to see if he would be ranked as the number 2 quarterback or if Weeden really has a chance to bump him down.

Picking QBs is like falling in love. Your match speaks to you. Some teams are going to love Matt Barkley and some teams aren't. Look at Cam Newton. Some teams loved him, some teams absolutely hated him. Now the teams that absolutely hate him most are the teams that have to play him.

Ultimately Brandon Weeden's age and injury history will not allow any team to draft him in the top 5 or top 10, in my opinion. But after that, he's fair game, depending on your need level. Matt Barkley should be graded as a better prospect. He's not as good a quarterback in my personal opinion, not yet, but he's a lot younger and he's close enough that you have to think he stands a good shot of being just as good if not better.

Back
Top Bottom