Question For CK and Others RE: Barkley | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question For CK and Others RE: Barkley

easy now with the manning or brady stuff...i mean you are talkin about 2 of the best to ever play the position...i'll take 2 franchise qbs which i think they both are in the future...these kids intangibles at the college level are as good as it gets imo and i've finally realized how important that is at the position and stopped being mezmerized by physical abilities...

luck does remind me of manning though...i think he sees things presnap and on the field that others just don't...its what separates him for me

Not comparing Luck and Barkley to Manning or Brady, but moreso saying these two are both destined for greatness. They both have very high ceilings and could be in the same boat in the future. Basically saying Luck or Barkley are win-wins.

Not comparing Luck and Barkley to Manning or Brady, but moreso saying these two are both destined for greatness. They both have very high ceilings and could be in the same boat in the future. Basically saying Luck or Barkley are win-wins.

i'm with you there...but a few more wins and i'll be damn surprised if we even have a shot at barkley if he comes out...cause i'm pretty confident whoever can't get luck in trade is gonna move to plan b which by the time the draft evals are completed and barkley wins in the interview room etc teams will fall in love with him and there will be heavy competition to get in position to take him...teams who miss on luck i think will be all about trading up for matt barkley...at least i think they should

i'm with you there...but a few more wins and i'll be damn surprised if we even have a shot at barkley if he comes out...cause i'm pretty confident whoever can't get luck in trade is gonna move to plan b which by the time the draft evals are completed and barkley wins in the interview room etc teams will fall in love with him and there will be heavy competition to get in position to take him...teams who miss on luck i think will be all about trading up for matt barkley...at least i think they should

I'm a USC fan, you can bet I am hoping we get Matt. I'd be extremely upset if the Dolphins don't make a move for Luck or Barkley. If we settle for Jones, Griffin or Foles, it will be upsetting. The only other option I'd be ok with is Brandon Weeden in the 3rd.

What are some of you thinking regarding Barkley entering the draft?

IMO I can't see him leaving early, he in all likely Hood would be the top prospect in 2013 plus he would be playing in a bowl game.

I think he stays, if so doesn't the QB situation be bleak? I don't think Weeden is realistic sure he is impressive so was John Beck at BYU.

Jones ehh not sure about,RG III no thanks...Tannyhill a risk.

Might have to look towards 2013 Barkly - Brantly.

What are some of you thinking regarding Barkley entering the draft?

IMO I can't see him leaving early, he in all likely Hood would be the top prospect in 2013 plus he would be playing in a bowl game.

I think he stays, if so doesn't the QB situation be bleak? I don't think Weeden is realistic sure he is impressive so was John Beck at BYU.

Jones ehh not sure about,RG III no thanks...Tannyhill a risk.

Might have to look towards 2013 Barkly - Brantly.

Depends on how Matt finishes the year. He still has to play Oregon, Washington and UCLA. But he's playing well lately. If you look at the Notre Dame game, the Stanford game and the Colorado game, Matt Barkley is playing his best football of the year right now. He's thrown 12 TDs in those games versus 2 INTs. If he continues like that against Oregon, Washington and UCLA, then the chances are good he comes out.

The rule of thumb for these guys is usually that if you're pretty sure you're going to be a top 10 pick, you come out. Most coaches will even agree to that. Last year, Mike Gundy convinced Brandon Weeden, Justin Blackmon and Markelle Martin to stay in school. But this year, even though Blackmon is still an underclassman, Gundy has said that he would advise Blackmon to go pro. He expects Blackmon to be a Top 5 or Top 10 pick at the worst, and he said even though I'd throw a party if he decided to stay, I would tell him he should go.

Of course, Lane Kiffin will probably do his best to convince Barkley to stay. He's not the most scrupulous of coaches, not unlike his mentor Pete Carroll. But Barkley's stock is currently on the rise because of how he's done the last three games against Notre Dame, Stanford and Colorado...and if he plays that way against Oregon, Washington and UCLA then Barkley should have the "easy" decision that he's said he wants.

He's given enough to USC. He's put up with three years there with no possibility of a bowl game. I don't know that there would be very many five star, #1 overall position ranked recruits that would have stayed at a program that got hit with the kind of sanctions USC got hit with. He would have been perfectly justified walking away, redshirting somewhere, and resuming his college career at a place where he could compete for a championship.

CK

I hear you on why Barkley would come out provided he continues his great play,(in fact your offering is good news to me)
Something you said about his character by sticking with program when others would have left has me concerned that exact character trait is why he would return.
I'm going to hope he chosesto enter so he can enrich the QB pool.

CK

Read a few weeks ago Kiper compared Barkley to Jimmy Clausen can you see that or is Kiper off.

i don't see how matt barkley does not end up with a top 10 grade from nfl evaluators prior to the draft declare deadline...

CK

I hear you on why Barkley would come out provided he continues his great play,(in fact your offering is good news to me)
Something you said about his character by sticking with program when others would have left has me concerned that exact character trait is why he would return. I'm going to hope he chosesto enter so he can enrich the QB pool.

One thing to keep in mind that way is yeah, he honored his commitment to USC by staying through the troubles...but the thing he also did by staying there is take the quickest path to the NFL. If he transferred elsewhere, he would probably still be in college for the 2012 season. So if he's had NFL aspirations in mind this whole time, the move to stay at USC also makes sense.

CK

Read a few weeks ago Kiper compared Barkley to Jimmy Clausen can you see that or is Kiper off.

The only thing Barkley really shares in common with Clausen IMO is his dedication to perfect mechanics. I think he's got better intangibles, and is better under pressure.

One thing to keep in mind that way is yeah, he honored his commitment to USC by staying through the troubles...but the thing he also did by staying there is take the quickest path to the NFL. If he transferred elsewhere, he would probably still be in college for the 2012 season. So if he's had NFL aspirations in mind this whole time, the move to stay at USC also makes sense.
Total misread of Barkley's personality. As a person, the guy is Tebow 2.0. Comes from a Trojan family and has been a Trojan fan his whole life. Went to a USC feeder high school. Regardless of NFL aspirations, there was never any question whether Barkley would stay.

I think you tend to add in a cynical view that all these guys care about is improving their draft stock (did the same thing with Luck last year).

If Barkley keeps playing well and the team starts to suck... yeah you have a point. If Barkley leads the team over Washington, Oregon, and then torches UCLA? That decision for Barkley is anything but easy.

This Matt Barkley guy...definitely only average talent...

[video=youtube;jX8PlVYM4GY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX8PlVYM4GY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I just heard an interview with Wes Bunting where he asserted that (1) there is a considerable drop off from Luck to Barkley; and (2) Barkley is similar to Mark Sanchez physically (although he thinks Barkley could develop further).

I have no idea how Bunting could compare Barkley with Sanchez. I don't see that at all. I would say Barkley is orders of magnitude of a better prospect than Sanchez was.

Here is a link in case anyone cares to hear the interview. Scroll down on November 8.

http://www.1070thefan.com/podcast/Episodes.aspx?PID=2161

As for the mainstream media, many seem to put Barkley and Landry Jones on par with each other. I don't see that at all. I think Barkley is clearly the much better prospect. I would be ecstatic if Miami gets Barkley without trading up. I would be inconsolable if we land Landry Jones.

after reading through these posts, I've changed my stance a bit. I've always been landryjones/mattbarkley.... than matt barkley/landry jones again...

I think my ideal first round if we have a top 2 pick would probably go from luck if we have one or if by some cahootery he drops to us at 2, than if barkley stays I'd shift my entire thought process to blackmon. and see what I can do about getting barkley next year by trading up or something.

Back
Top Bottom