Question For CK and Others RE: Barkley | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question For CK and Others RE: Barkley

not willing to take barkley in the top 5??? god...i just hope we get the chance...

anyways...you don't use a high 1st round pick on a qb and then go 2 rounds later and take another one...you shouldn't be using that top 5 pick on a qb unless you have conviction about him...as in he's my guy...you pretty much undermine yourself when you start using multiple high picks on qbs...trying to hedge your bets...get a conviction on a guy and do whatever you have to to make sure you get him...

I would take Barkley in top-5 in a minute. I wouldn't take Landry Jones in top-5 at this point, though. At least not now. If you can't get Luck or Barkley, you start to evaluate your options. God I hope one of them are around when we pick. :)

about weeden...what makes you guys think this guys gonna come straight out of college playin even a matt schaub like level nfl qb??? he'll be a 29 year old rookie you might have to wait 2-3 years before you ever get that level guy...same can be said for matt barkley but you're talking about a 24-25 year old vs 32...and you don't think that difference career wise and in their prime wise is worth a rounds difference in the draft...i mean come on...

that stuff matters on draft day and during draft evaluations and its gonna absolutely effect weedens draft value...and if some reports about his shoulder being a long term issue flare up when they fine tooth comb his medicals he's gonna drop even further

All the better if we can get Weeden in the 3rd rd. Who ever we draft at QB there's going to be a learning curve. If there is a silver lining to Weeden's age, maybe it's that he's more likely to speed up that learning curve as much as possible, and he'll be more able to do so because the guy is pushing 30. The clock is ticking on him- maybe an appropriate metaphor is women and the biological clock- no time to waste. And if he were to last from 29 to 36 or 37 and produce in that time span- bring it on.

As to Barkley, my opinion and a dollar might get you a cup of coffee at Mickey D's. With Weeden, who I saw play for the first time last week, he passed my litmus test, which is, "I can see it." I could watch him and see certain qualities that seem to translate well to the next level. Imperfect as that litmus test may be, the bottom line is that I watched him play and I could see that skill set- accuracy, feet, pocket presence, etc. Also good size.

Barkley- what little that I've seen just hasn't given me that feeling. He seems accurate, throws a decent ball, good feet, but he just leaves me wanting. I look at him and see a second round guy, which I know is most likely dead wrong. Then again, consider the case of Jimmy Claussen. Barkley's magic, if it does indeed exist, has escaped me so far. Hands down I'd rather take Weeden in the top of the 2nd or better yet top of the 3rd than Barkley top 5. But again, consider the source. I'll firm up my opinion on Barkley, and Weeden for that matter, as I see more, but Barkley just doesn't jump off the screen for me, at least yet.

I'd still draft a late round QB if there was good value there. and even with Luck I would draft late round QBs depending on the value there. Pats didnt need a QB when they drafted Cassel. But he stuck and they got a high draft pick for him. QBs that develop can be very valuable. at least through trade.

Is that Matt Barkley with four first half touchdowns, three coming on the deep ball? Who knew? WHO knew?!?

Make that four deep ball TDs, plus a fifth that was perfectly thrown and dropped. Yeah, Barkley's deep ball sure does suck.

Something I really like with Barkley is the improvements I've seen him make as this season has gone along. You can pick up physical tools pretty quickly, and Barkley is merely 'solid' in several areas, but watching him throughout the season you've seen progression in decision making, 4th quarter play, the big game vs. good competition in Stanford, and gain a better appreciation for just how good he is on a rollout.

Add to this I think his accuracy has continued to improve and his footwork is working in tune with his brain almost perfectly, and Barkley has risen to that top-5 area for me. He's not Andrew Luck to me, but he is clearly ahead of Jones to me now.

I think you make a great point. He has been getting better pretty actively.

He's a third year player, a true junior. He's going to continue getting better. Luck is a fourth year, as is Landry Jones, and Weeden is a fifth year.

Is that Matt Barkley with four first half touchdowns, three coming on the deep ball? Who knew? WHO knew?!?
He might not have a cannon, but I don't see how you can watch that game and say that he can't throw downfield.

USC record 6 touchdowns, but a lot of people will write him off because he's simply a USC quarterback. As of right now, he is THE USC quarterback. The guy is proving to be a better player at the college level then the two that people compare him to. Let's be honest, there's very little to complain about when it comes to Barkley.

He's proven to be accurate, can throw the long ball, smart, mobile, aware in the pocket...the guy has 'IT'. Of the interceptions he's thrown, I've seen him only lock on once, and that was last week against Stanford with the defensive player making a very good, athletic play.

Everyone worries about his long ball, but he's shown he can make those throws. Just ask Marqise Lee and Robert Woods, they'll tell you how good of a ball he throws. Or ask Rhett Ellison, a recipient of Barkley's rollouts and improvisation. Or how about Xavier Grimble, Randall Telfer, Brandon Carswell, Brice Butler...these are ALL guys that get into the game because of Matt Barkley's ability to make his reads. He distributes the ball so well and with great placement.

If we don't get Luck, I'd still be doing backflips for Barkley. This is a potential situation where you have two great players to choose from because their high ceilings and the risk of bust isn't as great as a Robert Griffin III. It's a situation like asking "would you rather have Peyton Manning or Tom Brady?" Either one would be amazing.

Anyone thats been reading my posts on Barkley, already know how I feel about him so I wont go down that road. I will say this though, he is impressing me more and more. Im at the point where Im good with Barkley if we're picking second overall. Im just so afraid we might have to settle for someone who clearly had no business in the top 5(Sanchez), simply because theres no better option in the draft.

question for the masses...when was the last time a 28 year old anything got drafted even in the top 3 rounds??? i can't recall it...i realize that each player should be judged based on their own merit but you also have to know where the value of a player given that age falls league wide...as in at what point if i want to guarantee myself a weeden do i have to pull the trigger...in my mind thats definitely no where in the first round and may fall out of the 2nd also...i think you might be able to wait til your pick at the top of the 3rd and still see a soon to be 30 year old qb still on the board...but maybe thats just me...i guess because its a qb and not another position player it could change but i just don't recall any player this advanced in age being drafted in the top 3 rounds...

as for barkley 3 years of the arrow pointing upwards in his play...thats the kind of thing i want to see in a qb...a good 30 plus game college career as a starter and steady improvement each year...barkley at #2 overall all the way if he comes out...which with the way he's playin maybe makes his decision an easy one like he wants it to be

I'm liking Barkley more and more. I still rate Luck as the better prospect, but Barkley definitely makes more, more impressive throws (if you will).

question for the masses...when was the last time a 28 year old anything got drafted even in the top 3 rounds??? i can't recall it...i realize that each player should be judged based on their own merit but you also have to know where the value of a player given that age falls league wide...as in at what point if i want to guarantee myself a weeden do i have to pull the trigger...in my mind thats definitely no where in the first round and may fall out of the 2nd also...i think you might be able to wait til your pick at the top of the 3rd and still see a soon to be 30 year old qb still on the board...but maybe thats just me...i guess because its a qb and not another position player it could change but i just don't recall any player this advanced in age being drafted in the top 3 rounds...

as for barkley 3 years of the arrow pointing upwards in his play...thats the kind of thing i want to see in a qb...a good 30 plus game college career as a starter and steady improvement each year...barkley at #2 overall all the way if he comes out...which with the way he's playin maybe makes his decision an easy one like he wants it to be

Thankfully people are finally starting to get on Barkley bandwagon(not saying you weren't, just in general) because I was getting sick of hearing how Landry Jones and RG3 was better prospects, when they clearly aren't.

Also with Weeden, I couldn't tell you the last time a similar case happened. But realistically Weeden is a special case. Me and CK have our difference of opinion on Weeden and his future. Well I guess maybe not his future, but the possibilities of his future. But realistically, If he were 24 years old, he would probably be the #2 rated QB in this draft. He is a fantastic talent with a fantastic arm and fantastic head for the game.

I said last year that I thought Weeden would drop to the 3rd, possibly 4th round last year. But that was also after one year starting. He has proved he is the real deal. I don't think he will go round 1. As that is just to high for a 28 year old Rookie with 2 years as a starter in college. Not to mention that shoulder is a big question mark. I think someone will pick him in round 2. Just because there is going to be belief that hes older and could step in right away and start. A team that is a QB away or close to a QB away will pick him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom