Question For CK and Others RE: Barkley | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question For CK and Others RE: Barkley

slimm and i have been talkin about matt barkley and how he looks like a future nfl franchise qb for the last 2 years...he just looks the part...carries himself on the field the way you want to...makes nfl throws...i've beaten how much i like the guy to death...

landry jones i just don't see how people can watch those games and not say he's late on a lot of throws and he forces the ball into coverage...and thats while he's always facing the opposition from the time he comes to the los presnap through the entire play...why's he late all the time??? he's got plenty of weapons the ball should be more timely...and i mean he's late on out routes vertical posts straight goes...late all the time...he gets away with it at the college level cause he has superior athletes at wr etc but at the pro level if you're late you end up looking like chad henne...against k state last week in the first half i just kept saying to myself he's late again why the hells he throwin that ball into that coverage how can you underthrow the deep post that much etc...to me he's another guy whos gonna make one read at the next level he's gonna have to see it before he pulls the trigger just shows me no feel for anticipation or throwing guys open...big arm good physical size no mobility i'm not interested in taking chad henne all over again

slimm and i have been talkin about matt barkley and how he looks like a future nfl franchise qb for the last 2 years...he just looks the part...carries himself on the field the way you want to...makes nfl throws...i've beaten how much i like the guy to death...

landry jones i just don't see how people can watch those games and not say he's late on a lot of throws and he forces the ball into coverage...and thats while he's always facing the opposition from the time he comes to the los presnap through the entire play...why's he late all the time??? he's got plenty of weapons the ball should be more timely...and i mean he's late on out routes vertical posts straight goes...late all the time...he gets away with it at the college level cause he has superior athletes at wr etc but at the pro level if you're late you end up looking like chad henne...he's another guy whos gonna make one read at the next level...big arm good physical size but i'm not interested in taking chad henne all over again

I agree about Jones for the most part. I think hes a better prospect then Chad Henne was. I wish I could go back and read what I said exactly, but at the time of draft before we picked him I said Henne would be nothing more then a back up in this league. I hated him as a prospect. Jones does somethings better then Henne. Like his pocket presence, his down field throws. But like you said, he does do some things similar to Henne. I am not a big fan of Jones as a prospect either. I think hes a bottom of the first round guy. I thought Henne was a 4th rounder.

he might be a better prospect than chad henne but even if thats the case thats not what i'm lookin for...its still not good enough...imo we'll be in the same boat 3 years from now with jones as our qb

and people want to say he's like sam bradford i think bradfords timing and ball placement was much better than jones when he was at oklahoma...much better...so to me he's an inferior prospect to bradford...and i fully admit i did not like bradford when he came out...figured he'd stay hurt given he was maybe 215 lbs when he played at oklahoma and the shoulder issues had me buyer beware there...didn't like the offense he came out of either but i've since cooled on some of that given all the spread looks in the nfl these days

In regards to Weeden, i think where he gets drafted may surprise some people. QBs who grade as a 2nd or 3rd midseason often go in the first when a team reaches for a qb or feels they wont be able to get that prospect in the second. I know Weeden's age is kind of an anomaly when it comes to defining their draft status but a team who might feel they are a qb away might reach. I know Alex Smith is playing fine now, but depending on his performance the second half of the season and in the playoffs it wouldnt surprise me that much if San Fran took him late first. If Weeden has an incredible combine it wouldnt shock me if Dallas took him in the first with the way Romo has been. Not sure if Balt brass feels the same way but i know more than a few Ravens fans who think that Flacco is not the answer. I would include the Raiders but they traded the pick away.

Looking back. If the 2000 dolphins, with that defense, had a chance to draft a 28 year old Weeden in the first, i would of jumped at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Chris Weinke can go in the 4th round at the same age then Brandon Weeden should go in the 2nd round at the very worst. A tape examination by anyone that knows what they're seeing should show that much, that Weeden is performing at a much higher level with more talent than Weinke ever did.

My gut reaction is that I would rather have Barkley as the future Dolphins QB. Not that I analyze the players as closely as you guys or wonder how much credence to place into Phil Simms' evaluation of Luck but Barkley has that "it" factor in my opinion. I like the fact that he looks to go down field with his throws more than from what I see from Luck. In terms of the Dolphins draft position, I would be more concerned with finishing ahead of Seattle than requiring the first pick in the draft.

landry jones i just don't see how people can watch those games and not say he's late on a lot of throws and he forces the ball into coverage...and thats while he's always facing the opposition from the time he comes to the los presnap through the entire play...why's he late all the time??? he's got plenty of weapons the ball should be more timely...and i mean he's late on out routes vertical posts straight goes...late all the time...he gets away with it at the college level cause he has superior athletes at wr etc but at the pro level if you're late you end up looking like chad henne...against k state last week in the first half i just kept saying to myself he's late again why the hells he throwin that ball into that coverage how can you underthrow the deep post that much etc...to me he's another guy whos gonna make one read at the next level he's gonna have to see it before he pulls the trigger just shows me no feel for anticipation or throwing guys open...big arm good physical size no mobility i'm not interested in taking chad henne all over again

My gut reaction is that I would rather have Barkley as the future Dolphins QB. Not that I analyze the players as closely as you guys or wonder how much credence to place into Phil Simms' evaluation of Luck but Barkley has that "it" factor in my opinion. I like the fact that he looks to go down field with his throws more than from what I see from Luck. In terms of the Dolphins draft position, I would be more concerned with finishing ahead of Seattle than requiring the first pick in the draft.

I'm in the same boat as you! If we do end up having the overall #1 pick i just want which ever FO is in charge at that time to really do their due diligence and really evaluate these respective QBs! not just choosing Luck just because..It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Barkley ends up being the better pro.I just hope we end up with a very good Football player

If Chris Weinke can go in the 4th round at the same age then Brandon Weeden should go in the 2nd round at the very worst. A tape examination by anyone that knows what they're seeing should show that much, that Weeden is performing at a much higher level with more talent than Weinke ever did.

weinke was a garbage prospect...but i guess thats the highest a guy this old has ever been drafted...the 4th round...if its me i play the odds if i miss on a luck or barkley i can get weeden at the top of the 3rd...

Barkley certainly has the deep ball, amongst a lot of other abilities. The way he got out of the pocket, rolled to the right and threw that deep bomb to Rogers on the hoof - that was special. Can't help but feel he's just a little pick-prone, imo. He had one against Colorado, but it really should have been 3.

He's certainly the best of the rest, though I still like RG3 and for me Tannehill is the value pick of the draft after Luck. Ironic I would say that after he threw 3 picks (albeit in very windy conditions and with no run game), but I think he has the goods as a second round or late first pick.

[video=youtube;MwdNfoLi-7Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwdNfoLi-7Q[/video]

Plain and simple, the kid is good. The throw to Robert Woods on the run makes me wonder what people see when they say they don't like his arm strength or his feet.

Barkley is a stud, I completely agree he has that "it" factor. I still think Luck is better..but there is something about Barkley that just draws me in. I wouldnt be suprised at all if he is the better pro. I think the gap between Luck and Barkley is smaller than the gap between Barkley and Landry/RGIII. Man I hope he comes out...

I've been saying for awhile now that the gap isn't as significant as people make it out to be. Like I stated in another thread, choosing between Luck and Barkley is like picking Manning or Brady. Either way you're coming out a winner.

easy now with the manning or brady stuff...i mean you are talkin about 2 of the best to ever play the position...i'll take 2 franchise qbs which i think they both are in the future...these kids intangibles at the college level are as good as it gets imo and i've finally realized how important that is at the position and stopped being mezmerized by physical abilities...

luck does remind me of manning though...i think he sees things presnap and on the field that others just don't...its what separates him for me

Back
Top Bottom