Raekwon Davis gone | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Raekwon Davis gone

i was clear stating davis wasn't that good. but the dolphins were trying to keep him for whatever reason, but obviously could not or would not match the colts offer, which doesnt fuss me too much because i didnt like davis that much either. my concern is at this point what replaces him will be worse. we shall see. ps flores was doing backflips about drafting this guy, clearly a flores pick. thanks flores you strike again!!!!
I don’t think it can be worse. Not that he was terrible but he literally never made a single big play ever. So the drop off won’t be noticed whoever is in there. Wilkins that beast of a man is the guy we are going to miss

I ended up going to the Colts subreddit and providing a summary. Sometimes I just can't help myself, especially while describing a tackling radius with the width and flexibility of a Rock 'Em Sock 'Em robot

I don’t think it can be worse. Not that he was terrible but he literally never made a single big play ever. So the drop off won’t be noticed whoever is in there. Wilkins that beast of a man is the guy we are going to miss
side point davis was drafted because of his measurables, namely his size. but the production was always a question at alabama. same issue with channing tindal. the speed and the burst - he was a combine warrior. but couldnt even start in college. i think drafting measurables, when the production on the field is not there, is most often a mistake. if do it, save it for the later rounds, not rounds 1-3. interestingly, hunter long had the measurables and production, could never make it on the field and now might be out of the nfl. apparently, the issue with him was he was just too soft. eichenberg had the measurables and the production and came from a program with alot of pedigree - it seems every other notre dame ol that gets drafted is really good. yet he stinks. not sure what we missed there. guess it is complicated, nothing is guaranteed, but back to my main point, i would be out of the business of taking measurables without the production in the early rounds.

If we ain't willing to pay up for dt's when their rookie deal is up I don't think it is wise to use first rounders on em.....and the ol still needs help!
I agree. I don't want the pick to be a DT. I still want our first two to be o line. But it's Grier so I wouldn't even be surprised if jpj is still there and he passes on him.

What many don't fully get is that Raekwon Davis is an extremely big man (6'7" 325 lbs (conservatively listed) with extremely powerful hands, who takes up a lot of physical space on the field. While his stats were underwhelming, and a conscious decision was made by Chris Grier not to re-sign him, he helped to clog up the middle. There is a reason why Indianapolis are paying him $7M/ season. His departure plus the huge loss of Christian Wilkins, means drafting a very big bodied powerful DT becomes a higher priority (and we don't have a 3rd or a 4th round Draft pick, where you would look for a quality replacement.

Last edited:
May have missed a signing, but I believe all of the following are still unsigned FA's:

Jonathan Hankins
Greg Gaines
Poona Ford
Sebastian Joseph-Day
Bilal Nichols
A'Shawn Robinson
Maurice Hurst
DaQuan Jones

I doubt Miami would make a play for DJ Reeder, because he'd F up the comp picks, and he'll be relatively expensive, but he'd be the best available.

Drafting a DT in the 1st, when the class is loaded at OL and WR, would bother me a lot. DT's take longer to develop, and the offense still needs real help.

Just posted this in another thread. Grier knows what he’s doing way more than the lemmings and Eeyores on this board.

Oh I absolutely believe he knows what he’s doing. He probably hates cold weather and he's just making sure he won't have to travel much in January and February.

What many don't fully get is that Raekwon Davis is an extremely big man (6'7" 325 lbs (conservatively listed) with extremely powerful hands, who takes up a lot of physical space on the field. While his stats were underwhelming, and a conscious decision was made by Chris Grier not to re-sign him, he helped to clog up the middle. There is a reason why Indianapolis are paying him $7M/ season. His departure plus the huge loss of Christian Wilkins, means drafting a very big bodied powerful DT becomes a higher priority (and we don't have a 3rd or a 4th round Draft pick, where you would look for a quality replacement.
Does Pili, share the same qualities? Perhaps they think he can fill Davis’ role.

I was among those that didn't want Davis back even on a minimum deal. He was just a bad fit. But I am thrilled he got a relatively big deal elsewhere. Good for him personally and good for Miami in the comp pick formula.

Back
Top Bottom