Ramsey not cooperating with roster management? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ramsey not cooperating with roster management?

DolfanDaveInMI

Active Roster
Reaction score
I came into the segment late, but as I was listening to Sirius NFL Radio yesterday, I heard a comment that Jalen Ramsey had been approached by the team on a contract restructure -- convert $11 million roster bonus to signing bonus for cap purposes -- and that Ramsey had turned the team down. Had anyone else heard that? If so, what would be his motive? Is he upset with the team for releasing X? Angling for an extension? That seems like a bad omen to me.

I haven't heard this reported.

I'd pay Ramsey > Howard and Wilkins that's for sure lol.

I'll be surprised if this is true as usually the team puts it in the contracts that they can restructure without the players permission as restructures always benefit the player as well as the team.

Why would Ramsey care if it's a roster bonus or signing bonus as he's getting all $10M paid up front anyway. It makes zero difference to him what the team call it or how they allocate it.

Until he turns 30 next year and his skills fall off a cliff like all DBs at 30.
Not all. Ramsey is a freak athlete so when he looses his first step he is still a top end athlete. Also Ramsey will move to safety at some point. He has the size and physical play to move to safety. He played some safety in college as well. He has also talked about how he wants to eventually move to safety.

Just because X fell of a cliff, doesn't mean Ramsey will. X was a average athlete at CB in his prime, so it was easy to see in coming. Ramsey is a different animal from an athletic stand point.

Maybe he's holding out after the team is cutting Howard. Maybe he's saying I'll restructure when he's back.

Who knows

this makes no sense at all.....he'd lose nothing by having his deal restructured
But if you are in a bind and ask a player to do that, he has the leverage to negotiate more guaranteed money. Does he not? There has to be an incentive. That's where the concept of "team" is not reality. These individuals are all separate corporate entities.

Teams dont need a player's consent to convert salary to bonus... They just cut a check.

A player can resist having additional years put on a contract however... and if Ramsey objected, it was to this.
I'm not sure this is true unless there was language to that effect in the contract, particularly if it affected more than one year of pay structure. The player could end up with a different tax liability framework.

I'm not sure this is true unless there was language to that effect in the contract, particularly if it affected more than one year of pay structure. The player could end up with a different tax liability framework.
Well... I'll do some reading, but this used to be true. Though, admittedly, it may have changed.

But if you are in a bind and ask a player to do that, he has the leverage to negotiate more guaranteed money. Does he not? There has to be an incentive. That's where the concept of "team" is not reality. These individuals are all separate corporate entities.
Yes, this, exactly. It’s easily to make this to everyone’s benefit.

Back
Top Bottom